PDA

View Full Version : A few live hands for review (Hand 2)

BatsShadow
08-14-2005, 05:44 PM
EDIT: Worst edit ever. The flop suits were wrong, and since this is a flush draw hand....

Alright, I have better reads for this one.

Button has been at the table all day. He's young college-type, has a huge stack, and I've seen him make some good laydowns. I haven't really seen most of his scores, but he's obviously winning. If he's not a 2+2er, he should be. In our only battle before this, I flop my Ace good kicker, with 2 spades on the board, he bets, I raise, and he calls me down, staring right in my face with this huge smirk and then folds the river. I say, "spades?", and he just says "Yeah."

UTG is the stereotypical, middle-aged regular who obviously has somewhat of a clue but plays too many hands while saying he shouldn't and is quite a bit more passive than a really good player. He may or may not be a slight winner overall, but he's losing today.

The action here is a little more fuzzy in my memory than hand 1. I hope this is close enough.

Detroit 5/10 Poker (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button calls</font>, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Blinds checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button Raises</font>, Blinds fold, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls, UTG calls.

This cap is ok, right? This is the part that worries me. Once its 3-bet, I know there are only gonna be 3 in this, but I think I still have the equity edge because the rake is capped already, right?

Turn: (9.5 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

I wasn't too happy that we had to cap this, but obviously I'm along for the ride.

River: (21.5 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> BAM!
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

I don't remember the exact river action, but I think this is correct.

Final Pot: 24.5 BB

I say, "I've got it.", button shows 2 pair KJ, UTG says, "Wait, did you raise on the flop when you didn't have anything?", and the dealer says, "He bet on the come."

DCWildcat
08-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Your flop play confuses me. Fold. Immediately.

You have an overcard and crappy backdoors with awful reverse implied odds. Easy fold.

DCWildcat
08-14-2005, 05:49 PM
All you have on the river is ace high. Those are supposed to be spades in the pocket, right?

MrWookie47
08-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Umm, I sure hope this is a typo, because the action looks like you don't have a flush or a flush draw. If you were holding spades, then you played it mostly fine. With the action, there's a reasonable chance someone has a set, significantly cutting into your equity. You may not quite have an edge 3 ways.

DCWildcat
08-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Assuming you are holding spades, you also played this one well.

Your flop hand is not big enough to warrant a value raise, you're not buying a card, and it's not large enough to justify a protection raise.

Turn is fine, as you're still getting correct odds to call 2 back. River is obvious.

Shillx
08-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Capping the flop doesn't really do much for you here. If you are going to put in a raise on the flop, you should do it the 1st time. Why?

1) After it gets 3-bet, there is almost no chance that you can win the pot by spiking an ace. The reason why you raise the 1st time is to fold out a hand like AQ or AT or A9 (reasonable hands for the PFR). You then improve your chances of winning should an ace come. He isn't going to fold AQ or AT the 2nd time around since the pot will have become too big.

2) You might knock MP2 out. You want him in this pot now. You have no shot at winning without making a flush (or something stpid like running fives).

3) The hand becomes a bitch to play when you miss.

The turn and river are fine.

Brad

BatsShadow
08-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Barf!

I'm so so sorry guys. Does it make more sense now? I obviously had to make these by hand and I bombed this one.

bozlax
08-14-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Barf!

I'm so so sorry guys. Does it make more sense now? I obviously had to make these by hand and I bombed this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

For once I'm glad I didn't grunch. I was all set to light you up the first time I read your OP, then went back to look at it again and thought I'd had some kind of stroke. "Where'd that flush come from?" says I to myself.

PokerSparky
08-14-2005, 06:06 PM
The flop cap is debatable. You're getting the right amount of callers to make it a value raise, but I'd want to keep MP2 around so I just call the three bet.

The rest is pretty standard.

When the local curmudgeon says, "you raised the flop with nothing?" Just throw your hands up and say, "Hey man, it's a game of luck."

DCWildcat
08-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Ack, I missed the flop cap (damn confusing colors). I don't like it- why put yourself in the driver's set?

DocMartin
08-16-2005, 01:20 AM
The flop cap makes no sense. You want MP2 in here and the call/cap screams monster often killing action (I would put you on a set of 4's). Just call the 3bet, hope to keep MP2 and feel fine if button caps.
Turn is standard.
I try to check/raise this river since button capped the turn unless you have a read that they wont bet the river.