PDA

View Full Version : What has been your biggest mistake in life so far?

tommy2
08-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Since I am one of the geezers on this forum, I figured I'd pass on at least one piece of life advice. Don't settle down too quickly, as in high school or freshman/sophmore year of college. I did and it wasted 8 years of my life. I am not bitter about it as I am in a great place, but if I had a dollar for every intern that worked for me or acquaintance that was serious with a girl at 19 or 20 I'd be rich. Learn from the old guys in this forum...there will be plenty of time to settle down in your late 20s and early 30s.

Anybody else wanna fess up to their mistakes, or comment on mine?

peachy
08-14-2005, 05:30 PM
nothing in life is ever a mistake...

mason55
08-14-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

... just a learning opportunity

Sponger15SB
08-14-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, now go write some poetry and we can get to some real answers that aren't a bunch of crap.

tommy2
08-14-2005, 05:34 PM
I disagree. Care to elaborate?

chisness
08-14-2005, 05:35 PM
generally being too complacent with what i've got

examples: not studying hard enough when i have a decent grade in a class, not spending enough time with relatives, extremely reducing my poker hours after having a good win
streak

working on study habits and maintaining a set amount of poker sngs every week

tworooks
Eating my first cup o noodles. Now I'm addicted.

peachy
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, now go write some poetry and we can get to some real answers that aren't a bunch of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

im being serious...nothing in my life has ever been a mistake...the majority of people that think that way are very depressed people and arent happy with life...im not one of those people

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-14-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since I am one of the geezers on this forum, I figured I'd pass on at least one piece of life advice. Don't settle down too quickly, as in high school or freshman/sophmore year of college. I did and it wasted 8 years of my life. I am not bitter about it as I am in a great place, but if I had a dollar for every intern that worked for me or acquaintance that was serious with a girl at 19 or 20 I'd be rich. Learn from the old guys in this forum...there will be plenty of time to settle down in your late 20s and early 30s.

Anybody else wanna fess up to their mistakes, or comment on mine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...not breaking up with the girl I loved before I went to college? I can't tell which was better, having her, or being a free man as I am now. Who knows? I haven't made too many decisions I regret in life though.

tommy2
08-14-2005, 05:40 PM
If nothing in your life has ever been a mistake, how do you change bad patterns in your life. In other words, for me, the only way I feel like I advance is to recognize something that I am doing that isn't working (a mistake or error) and change the pattern. Don't you do something similar?

Soul Daddy
08-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Not leaving my home city for college. I still had fun in school, but I feel like I missed out on a lot of the genuine college experiences.

peachy
08-14-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If nothing in your life has ever been a mistake, how do you change bad patterns in your life. In other words, for me, the only way I feel like I advance is to recognize something that I am doing that isn't working (a mistake or error) and change the pattern. Don't you do something similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant think of a thing ive ever done that wasnt "working"...so no...at after a certain age its near impossible to change anything about urself. I like who i am...and if people dont...i dont care...im not changing myself for them...of course its cost me a few bfs and what not...but my friends and whatever else was more important to me...i dont see any of that as mistakes or things i want to change - but for me a mistake is something i would do differently. I have only regreted on thing in my life, and thats b/c it resulted in a death...but i wouldnt change it and dont consider it a mistake even though i dearly miss that person

KingOtter
08-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Investing 30k in a business opportunity that I didn't take the time to investigate more thoroughly, and having it soak me for much more than that over the next 6 months.

And I disagree with anyone who can say that nothing they've done is a mistake. If you've never made a mistake then you are not realistically self-critiqueing yourself. That, or you're playing life WAY to passive. Which would be a mistake, in my book. Do you see why?

KO

Evan
08-14-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OHHHH MAH GAWD REELEEEE????

peachy
08-14-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OHHHH MAH GAWD REELEEEE????

[/ QUOTE ]

zip it short stuff

Sponger15SB
08-14-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im being serious...nothing in my life has ever been a mistake...the majority of people that think that way are very depressed people and arent happy with life...im not one of those people

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you meant is that nothing in your life has been a mistake, and not some stupid philosophic crap about "nothing in life is a mistake"?

peachy
08-14-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you meant is that nothing in your life has been a mistake, and not some stupid philosophic crap about "nothing in life is a mistake"?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes nothing in my life has been a mistake...and i dont think others have mistakes....therefore nothing to me is a mistake...people viewing stuff as mistakes causes nothing but negative

tdp
08-14-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If it was something that lead to positive change and growth was it a mistake?No,it was a gift.I've done a lot of stupid things in my life(I'm 40,another "geezer" here).Drug and alcohol addiction,petty crimes,selling bad drugs,a long string of psycotic relationships etc.I look back and realize that these trials in life were what made me who and am today,and I like me.If you're not growing,your not living and growth can be painful sometimes.
I can honestly say I've made no mistakes in my life.

Sponger15SB
08-14-2005, 05:58 PM
So what do you call these

1) person getting drunk and crashing their car and killing a family of 5
2) person dropping out of high school because of crack addiction
3) murdering your dad because you get in a fight
4) raping a child

08-14-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was once almost intimate with a friend's wife at his house(a house in which i was an invited guest), I finally told him of what was going on between his wife and me. Believe me...this is a mistake(helping a wife cheat on her husband)and thereby being a cheat yourself.

Many

peachy
[ QUOTE ]

4) raping a child

[/ QUOTE ]

choices...not mistakes...u wont change my mind on this as i wont change urs...theres no point in arguing...

ive had 2 of those things similarly happen in my life...and i dont see them as mistakes - things id take back

Sponger15SB
[ QUOTE ]

4) raping a child

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever, it doesn't even matter what you respond to this cause you'd still be wrong...

mis·take Audio pronunciation of "mistake" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-stk)
n.

1. An error or fault resulting from defective judgment, deficient knowledge, or carelessness.
2. A misconception or misunderstanding.

mslif
08-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Not going to medical school and getting married instead.... I am now divorced /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jdl22
08-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Probably going to grad school. I'm in my third year. It would be ok but I live on the opposite coast from my wife and will probably still end up getting the same job in two or three years that I would have gotten had I just gotten a one year masters.

It's not all bad as it's made pretty clear what my priorities should be.

EliteNinja
[ QUOTE ]
Not going to medical school and getting married instead.... I am now divorced /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries, mslif. Be happy with the present and work towards the future.

I failed out of 1st year Engineering.

EliteNinja
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mwilli31
08-14-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eating my first cup o noodles. Now I'm addicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

touchfaith
08-14-2005, 06:08 PM
I didn't listen to the sheep.... I am now divorced /images/graemlins/frown.gif

mslif
08-14-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't listen to the sheep.... I am now divorced /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

AHAHAHAH! nh

mslif
08-14-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am working on that now as I am finishing my master's degree in cellular biology.
Sorry to hear you failed 1st year.

Arnfinn Madsen
08-14-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I convinced my wife to move here (to Norway from Poland) without finishing her education for two reasons:
-here in Oslo nobody cares what education you have. Personality and work experience is valued much higher (in a conversation with my boss after two years I just mentioned how it was in university and it turned out he did not know I had a degree).
-the city then was very boomish and in a desperate need for labor. You could visit to 6-7 agencies during one day and within 2 weeks you would have 5 good job offers with high pay even if you had no education or work experience.

Later I regreted a lot. I think this was my biggest mistake in my life. In her culture having a degree was/is important for self-esteem. When we split up I had so bad consciousness that I paid her the money needed to finish the education. Now she has went back to Poland to finish it and it makes me very happy (I am moving there in the end of this month since we are back together).

mslif
08-14-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When we split up I had so bad consciousness that I paid her the money needed to finish the education. Now she has went back to Poland to finish it and it makes me very happy (I am moving there in the end of this month since we are back together).

[/ QUOTE ]

This was very generous of you.
Happy to hear you are back together /images/graemlins/grin.gif... Good luck in Poland.

peachy
08-14-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I convinced my wife to move here (to Norway from Poland) without finishing her education for two reasons:
-here in Oslo nobody cares what education you have. Personality and work experience is valued much higher (in a conversation with my boss after two years I just mentioned how it was in university and it turned out he did not know I had a degree).
-the city then was very boomish and in a desperate need for labor. You could visit to 6-7 agencies during one day and within 2 weeks you would have 5 good job offers with high pay even if you had no education or work experience.

Later I regreted a lot. I think this was my biggest mistake in my life. In her culture having a degree was/is important for self-esteem. When we split up I had so bad consciousness that I paid her the money needed to finish the education. Now she has went back to Poland to finish it and it makes me very happy (I am moving there in the end of this month since we are back together).

[/ QUOTE ]

aawwww that was so sweet of u and im soooo glad ur back together!! too cute!!

cadillac1234
08-14-2005, 06:31 PM
a. Going to Paramedic school instead of becoming a RN or PA

b. Staying with ex-Girlfriend WAY TOO Long (but that did keep out of the dating pool long enough to meet my wife)

c. Becoming a SF Giants fan

handsome
08-14-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

4) raping a child

[/ QUOTE ]

choices...not mistakes...u wont change my mind on this as i wont change urs...theres no point in arguing...

ive had 2 of those things similarly happen in my life...and i dont see them as mistakes - things id take back

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy, no offense but you are truly naive if you think people don't make mistakes. If you have never made a mistake in your life, you obviously have a skewed definition that doesn't apply to the rest of society. But it's good that you're optimistic about life and everything /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tommy2
08-14-2005, 06:38 PM
This seems like a semantics debate...what I termed "mistakes" Peachy is calling "bad choices"...the point of the post was to impart the wisdom you received from your bad choices in life to others.

peachy
08-14-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

peachy, no offense but you are truly naive if you think people don't make mistakes. If you have never made a mistake in your life, you obviously have a skewed definition that doesn't apply to the rest of society. But it's good that you're optimistic about life and everything /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh some would call it naive...but its how i go through life...i see everything around me...its just how i choose to deal with it thats different...some people have a hard time understanding how i think...but i assure u im far from naive and dumb in most aspects /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ChoicestHops
08-14-2005, 07:09 PM
I dont understand. If you make a wrong choice then it was a mistake. Is this some way of not facing the truth but instead shrugging it off so it doesnt affect you?

Jimbo
08-14-2005, 07:15 PM
So Peachy,

You aced every test you have taken in your life, never made a wrong turn, never had a speeding ticket, never mis-balanced your checkbook, never overpaid for anything, never woke up late, never had a job where you were corrected. Need I go on?

In fact every time you state in this thread that you have never made a mistake you are making another one.

Personally I retired from playing pool too soon. I quit at 39 and went back to work at a regular job. It hasn't been bad really but I had another ten good years in me on the road if I had not made the mistake in believing that I wanted to "settle down". Now my time is past, the young kids shoot too straight and have no fear and no honor so perhaps it wasn't all that big of a mistake after all.

ChoicestHops
08-14-2005, 07:17 PM
But it wasn't a mistake, it was a choice. It's like the crack addict saying he didnt make a mistake by sucking cock to get his next hit, he just didn't make the right choices.

Point is not realizing your mistakes means you will continually make more of them in the future.

Subfallen
08-14-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What has been your biggest mistake in life so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

1a. Choosing the wrong parents.
1b. Running bad forever.

Indiana
08-14-2005, 07:26 PM
joining OOT.

Indy

ZeeJustin
08-14-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no point in arguing over this. Peachy just uses a different (incorrect) definition for the word mistake.

08-14-2005, 07:41 PM
cadillac1234, what is it you regret about being a paramedic?

I ask because I am considering becoming a paramedic.

Evan
08-14-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no point in arguing over this. Peachy just uses a different (incorrect) definition for the word mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy
08-14-2005, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So Peachy,

You aced every test you have taken in your life, never made a wrong turn, never had a speeding ticket, never mis-balanced your checkbook, never overpaid for anything, never woke up late, never had a job where you were corrected. Need I go on?

In fact every time you state in this thread that you have never made a mistake you are making another one.

Personally I retired from playing pool too soon. I quit at 39 and went back to work at a regular job. It hasn't been bad really but I had another ten good years in me on the road if I had not made the mistake in believing that I wanted to "settle down". Now my time is past, the young kids shoot too straight and have no fear and no honor so perhaps it wasn't all that big of a mistake after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope ive never made a mistake...its all relative

peachy
08-14-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But it wasn't a mistake, it was a choice. It's like the crack addict saying he didnt make a mistake by sucking cock to get his next hit, he just didn't make the right choices.

Point is not realizing your mistakes means you will continually make more of them in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

no a mistake is something u regret to me...he could have made that choice and it might be a bad one by some peoples opinions...but he may not regret it...therefore its not a mistake

zoomOut
08-14-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point and I think it speaks to the differences in personality types and outlooks. You seem to have the attitude that you float through life and everything is a cool experience...no regrets...blah blah. I am probably your opposite; more introverted, full of angst, pissed off with myself a lot. When I saw this thread I thought God where do I begin. Every day I make mistakes from buying the wrong type of beans to forgetting to send in a bill. I'm probably a lot older than you so I have a lot of stuff to regret. Still I plod on.

I wonder if you are this cheerful /images/graemlins/laugh.gif !!! in real life or if it's an act.

Duke
08-14-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This seems like a semantics debate...what I termed "mistakes" Peachy is calling "bad choices"...the point of the post was to impart the wisdom you received from your bad choices in life to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, peachy is just comfortable redefining words for himself so he can sound profound and impress idiots.

~D

yellowjack
08-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Spending my first two years of university on just two girls. Hopefully I can make up for it in my next two years...

Jimbo
08-14-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if you are this cheerful /images/graemlins/laugh.gif !!! in real life or if it's an act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is an act. I sense a very sick person who is unable not acknowldge her own flaws. She probably has a cat that barks and a spoon with tines. After all it is her own defintion.

mike4bmp
08-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Not following my desires but doing what others have told me would be good for me...I spent 6 years of my life preparing for medical school only to drop out when I finally started to be honest with myself. I hate the US medical Industry and am not a people person...I mean I like to help people but not as a physician.
So now I am going to film school and pursuing a career in independent filmmaking...its a bit more of a gamble than medicine...but its what I want to do.
Mike...out

DcifrThs
08-14-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your definition of a mistake, if i understand it, is a choice that you regret.

i have made many choices(decisions) that i regret and would like to do it differently had i been able to.

if you regret nothing in your life, imo, you haven't tried enough things...

-Barron

Evan
08-14-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no a mistake is something u regret to me...he could have made that choice and it might be a bad one by some peoples opinions...but he may not regret it...therefore its not a mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

Peachy makes cognitive dissonance call her "Daddy".

peachy
08-14-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point and I think it speaks to the differences in personality types and outlooks. You seem to have the attitude that you float through life and everything is a cool experience...no regrets...blah blah. I am probably your opposite; more introverted, full of angst, pissed off with myself a lot. When I saw this thread I thought God where do I begin. Every day I make mistakes from buying the wrong type of beans to forgetting to send in a bill. I'm probably a lot older than you so I have a lot of stuff to regret. Still I plod on.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah a few people on here know me in real life...and they will tell u i am very much like this in real life....im a bit of a handful...

Sponger15SB
08-14-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, peachy is just comfortable redefining words for himself so he can sound profound and impress idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finkle is Einhorn? EINHORN IS FINKLE?!?!

peachy
08-14-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is an act. I sense a very sick person who is unable not acknowldge her own flaws. She probably has a cat that barks and a spoon with tines. After all it is her own defintion.

[/ QUOTE ]

aawww u know me so well!!

BillNye
08-14-2005, 08:40 PM
I died in my previous life.

peachy
08-14-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have made many choices(decisions) that i regret and would like to do it differently had i been able to.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

now now barron...u know better than anyone the obsene amount of things ive tried in mah life

asofel
08-14-2005, 08:42 PM
thread hijack - i'd love to hear your story. I play a good amount, but not nearly good enough to earn a living doing it. You must have some great stories. Start a thread!

DcifrThs
08-14-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

now now barron...u know better than anyone the obsene amount of things ive tried in mah life

[/ QUOTE ]

which is why your statement is amazing to me...

-Barron

Sponger15SB
08-14-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever had an Ostridge burger?

(wow I really should stop watching so much TV)

peachy
08-14-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever had an Ostridge burger?

(wow I really should stop watching so much TV)

[/ QUOTE ]

ahaha no...would u like me to try one??

zephed
08-14-2005, 08:56 PM
1. Not going to UCSB. Instead going to close-to-home CSULB.

2-1000. Skipping class, sleeping in, staying up too late.

1001. Not calling my great grandma before she died recently (98 years old, wow).

1002. Selling my bug.

1003. Quitting hockey.

1004. Letting myself get out of shape.

1005. Playing too much p***r

DasLeben
08-14-2005, 10:01 PM
I don't really recall anything that I can look back on and regret. I mean, I guess you could say that my stint in car sales was a mistake, but that indirectly opened another door for me. I won't say that there are NO mistakes in life, but I think it's important to look at situations and see opportunities instead of failures.

I'll bet every other OOTiot here is going to jump on and say "nuh uh" to this post, but what can I say...I'm just a luckbox when it comes to life I guess. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

poincaraux
08-14-2005, 10:21 PM
not spending enough time with my grandmother before she died.

cadillac1234
08-14-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can get on a fire department it's not a bad gig but I personally had absolutely zero desire to be in the fire department.

Working for a private ambulance company is terrible. Long hours (56/week) at 1/2 of the pay of a nurse with a lot less benefits plus a large portion of your time is dealing with the dregs of society. The job is also a heckuva lot more dangerous than what the pay scale is paying. Around here $35-45/hour for a registry ER nurse is pretty standard versus about $20-25 for a paramedic.

If your interest lies in medicine you'd be a lot better off taking the extra year to be a RN or a PA. You'll have a lot more opportunities and avenues open to you if you decide EMS isn't what you want to do. Believe me, staying up all night running drunks gets really old after a couple of years.

Feel free to PM me if you got any questions.

DMBFan23
08-14-2005, 10:49 PM
every time I've had a chance to hit it and haven't for some reason or another. those were all mistakes.

everything else is going pretty well.

Sephus
08-14-2005, 10:55 PM
i've made plenty of mistakes. a few times i've read things that peachy wrote.

08-14-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can get on a fire department it's not a bad gig but I personally had absolutely zero desire to be in the fire department.

Working for a private ambulance company is terrible. Long hours (56/week) at 1/2 of the pay of a nurse with a lot less benefits plus a large portion of your time is dealing with the dregs of society. The job is also a heckuva lot more dangerous than what the pay scale is paying. Around here $35-45/hour for a registry ER nurse is pretty standard versus about $20-25 for a paramedic.

If your interest lies in medicine you'd be a lot better off taking the extra year to be a RN or a PA. You'll have a lot more opportunities and avenues open to you if you decide EMS isn't what you want to do. Believe me, staying up all night running drunks gets really old after a couple of years.

Feel free to PM me if you got any questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your response.
I am trying to get on a fire department, so this may be an option for me. It is easy to see how people can burn out on this job, though.

J_V
08-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Wow, you are so cool.

Guy Incognito
08-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Getting into debt to go to an overpriced college.

zoomOut
08-15-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting into debt to go to an overpriced college.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh crap don't tell me that. My nephew and son are starting at overpriced colleges this fall and we've been telling them that it will all be worth it in the end. [censored].

fluorescenthippo
08-15-2005, 12:31 AM
1.not hanging out with enough people outside my group of friends in high school
2.not meeting enough girls in college.
3. having a major im not sure i like

Dudd
08-15-2005, 12:32 AM
Being too passive in life and not willing to take risks.

TheCroShow
08-15-2005, 12:43 AM
being born

zoomOut
08-15-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
being born

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

08-15-2005, 04:53 AM
Not [censored] that virgin princess when I had the chance. Crom was angry about that one.

kurosh
08-15-2005, 04:55 AM
I have to admit I am very bitter towards you Peachy. You're such a dumb [censored] slut, but you're rich and happy.

handsome
08-15-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to admit I am very bitter towards you Peachy. You're such a dumb [censored] slut, but you're rich and happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be nice.

Anyway, can we please let this thread die?

peachy
08-15-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who ever said i was rich??? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SammyKid11
08-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Peachy...I've read your comments in this thread, and I have a few of my own. You claim to have made no mistakes, in the way that you (I do believe, incorrectly) define the word "mistake" as being "something you regret."

But accepting your definition of the word for a moment, are you really saying you don't regret a single thing you've ever done? Certainly you acknowledge you have not always made the best decision available to you -- I'm sure you're not claiming to be some sort of messianic deity with no flaws, right?

Is it just that you have no remorse for anyone you've ever hurt by bad decisions you've made? You never dumped a guy and felt bad about it? You never lied to your parents and wished later that you hadn't?

Is it all because you're a fatalist at heart who believes everything happens for a reason and, working backwards from that belief, think that nothing can ever be a mistake because it was predetermined to happen the way that it ultimately did?

If you could travel back in time and shoot Hitler before he slaughtered tens of millions of people, destroying families and countries and cultures along the way...would you? Should Hitler have regretted his actions...were they mistakes?

I'm really trying to get to the heart of this because I think it's actually a fairly dangerous worldview to place such little responsibility on individual choices.

To answer the OP's question for myself, my biggest mistake was trusting a big-name music manager with my band. He ended up being a slimeball fraud who was way past his prime, made promises that he couldn't keep, and a lot of lives ended up being crippled in the process of that deception. If I could go back to London in April 2002 and lead my guys in a different direction...man, I would.

Anyway, interesting thread I think.

Evan
08-15-2005, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You?

From your profile:
"Occupation: A job? whats that?.....Spoiled Princess"

peachy
08-15-2005, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You?

From your profile:
"Occupation: A job? whats that?.....Spoiled Princess"

[/ QUOTE ]

evan...i hate u

Evan
08-15-2005, 06:19 AM
You're repeated hostility over references to things you've written in a public forum (this is not an isolated case) makes it very hard for me to believe that you go through your life with the blindly optimistic attitude you've claimed in this thread.

peachy
08-15-2005, 06:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're repeated hostility over references to things you've written in a public forum (this is not an isolated case) makes it very hard for me to believe that you go through your life with the blindly optimistic attitude you've claimed in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

evan...ur about to be in BIG trouble

Popinjay
08-15-2005, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

4) raping a child

[/ QUOTE ]

These are only mistakes because they have been deemed so by society. If peachy says she hasn't made any mistakes then let her because it is relative.

ddubois
08-15-2005, 07:21 AM
Reading this thread.

dibbs
08-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Interesting point to hear as I need to start looking into grad schools ASAP. We shall see though.

ChipWrecked
08-15-2005, 08:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
every time I've had a chance to hit it and haven't for some reason or another. those were all mistakes.

everything else is going pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I turned down flight attendant 'tang to keep my word to a friend. What a stupid move. I haven't seen that friend again for ten years.

raisins
08-15-2005, 03:42 PM
God help me I agree with Peachy, somewhat.

Like she (he?) said, 'mistake' in this context is typically associated with regret. I don't regret very much at all and when there is something from the past that I have some emotion (jealousy, anger, whatever) over I generally accept that it was what I was capable of and that I now have more experience to make better choices. I've certainly done things that made me sad when I saw how the consequences of my actions effected other people and myself and I guess these are the sorts of things people are calling mistakes. I think there's a real difference between being sad about some of my past actions and regretting them. I don't know if Peachy is making this distinction but I think it's an important one. Sad is an emotional response and many times an appropriate one. Regret is building a fantasy that the past could somehow have been different. I'm not sure that it could. I don't know that the person I was at those moments could have made a different decision. I have no evidence to support that notion.

At the moment I made those choices I wasn't the person who had the knowledge or the foresight or the emotional depth to recognize that another alternative was superior. People generally make the best decisions for themselves according to the knowledge and beliefs they have. This doesn't make everyone "guilt-free", consequences surely follow. It just means that there is no point in constructing some fantasy about having perfect knowledge at an earlier point in life and imagining how great things would be. For whatever it's worth I'm not a particularly optimistic person.

Certainly one problem with the above is that it downplays free will, which I believe in. That being said it tends to keep me focused and responsive in the present and not stuck in the past so I'll let the issue with free will slide.

Anyway, to play along with this game, instead of spending so much time with the humanities I would have devoted more energy to math and physics. I would have been more respectful of the confidences that people placed in me and been more willing to listen than talk. I would have kept a journal and taken more pictures. Spent more time outside. Read less crap genre fiction. Watch less TV. blah blah blah

You could sum it all up by saying I would have paid more attention from the get go and spent less time zoning out.

regards,

raisins

Shajen
08-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Probably not making a peace offering to my dad before he died.

I hadn't talked to him in 13 years, and he passed away before I got the chance to.

Of course, it was a two way street, ya know?

Otherwise it would have to be partying so damned much during the IT boom, and not listening to my gut when the crash came. I lost a lot of stock and a fairly large chunk of change because I didn't act fast enough. Luckily, I'm young enough that it wasn't a horrible mistake.

irishpint
08-15-2005, 03:47 PM
not working hard enough in college my first 2 years- now im going to be a senior and applying to dental school (where im fairly certain ill get in) but it could have been much easier/less worrisome if i would have just achieved that 4.0 instead of partying 5 days a week.

08-15-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you. But I think a lot of people are effed up. And are not happy w/ the choices they've made in life. You realize this the older you get. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

08-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Getting expelled from high school. Was not a fun way to end senior year, but whatever. Still go to a great university. As long as you learn from it, its hard to keep calling it a mistake.

CCass
08-15-2005, 05:49 PM
I saw that Evan had posted several times in this thread, and got excited. I was hoping to hear about some of his mistakes (other than the possible ones in Vegas).

Instead I see that he is "wrestling in the mud with a pig", and we all know how that turns out.

SammyKid11
08-15-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting expelled from high school. Was not a fun way to end senior year, but whatever. Still go to a great university. As long as you learn from it, its hard to keep calling it a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are so many people in this forum so programmed to think that just because something eventually turns out okay that the word "mistake" no longer applies. Learning from a mistake does not mean that it eventually becomes a non-mistake...any more than becoming sober a few hours later does not mean that maybe you weren't actually drunk at one point.

Jeezy Creezy people -- mistakes are mistakes...why is everyone so damned scared of saying, "yeah - that was a mistake...I'm not going to DWELL on it for the rest of my life, but I can call it what it is."

peachy
08-15-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw that Evan had posted several times in this thread, and got excited. I was hoping to hear about some of his mistakes (other than the possible ones in Vegas).

Instead I see that he is "wrestling in the mud with a pig", and we all know how that turns out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i sit on him???

and me and evan r friends...incase u didnt catch that part as well...

IlliniRyRy
08-15-2005, 07:01 PM
doing drugs

whiskeytown
08-15-2005, 08:40 PM
stay away from alcohol - that is all I have to say - never even try it to see what you're missing - just stay away.

RB

tommy2
08-16-2005, 09:02 AM
bump

MrTrik
08-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Marrying my first wife was the biggest mistake I've ever made. Marrying my second choice was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

BeerMoney
08-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Too many to list. Peachy has taken a good thread and fkking ruined it.

jackdaniels
08-16-2005, 11:33 AM
1. Not taking Poker as seriously as I could when I was in University (before the poker "boom"). If I had found 2+2 or similar when I started playing, it would likely be my proffession today (as it stands, I don't play nearly enough to become really good).

2. Becoming an OOT addict - while it keeps me well away from doing my job (primary concern) - it also keeps me away from spending nearly enough time in the strategy forums.

Sorry to mention Poker in OOT - but it relates directly to the question at hand.

ElSapo
08-16-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I agree with Peachy, as far as a life philosophy goes. I realize not many people will agree, but this just happens to be the way I look at things.

ElSapo

Evan
08-16-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I agree with Peachy, as far as a life philosophy goes. I realize not many people will agree, but this just happens to be the way I look at things.

ElSapo

[/ QUOTE ]

So you agree with the definition for the word "mistake" that peachy made up?

hoyaboy1
08-16-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ElSapo

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize this makes no more sense than saying that you have never seen anyone who was tall, right? Either way you are simply changing the correct definition of a word to make it meaningless.

ElSapo
08-16-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you agree with the definition for the word "mistake" that peachy made up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going back to look at the definition you meant - I scanned through the thread and responded to one of the earlier posts.

Questions like this are obviously open to interpretation because they're reason for someone to reflect on their own life. So you can say a mistake is an error, like choosing A instead of B on a test, or you can use a broader definition in terms of life decisions, which was my take on the initial post.

Either way, though... I guess my logic, which I realize you weren't asking about, goes thus: I woke up this morning, happy with where I was and what I was doing. In my past, I've chosen A when it should have been B; I've gone left when it should have been right; but all those summed up to bring me here, typing this, and that's a pretty good spot.

So I don't regret anything I've done, because I see it all as a summation of who I am. And I wouldn't change anything I've done, not even the wrong SAT questions or the bigger mistakes I've made. Had you asked me at the time, I would have had a different answer, but hindsight comes pretty quickly sometimes.

So I don't know what Peachy chose to use as the "definition" you're referring to. Perhaps he/she said something about nuking small countries and crapping on the poor - in which case, no, I'd probably disagree with that. But I'd prefer not to get into a semantic argument.

In any case, I don't believe in viewing things in life as mistakes. Take that for what you will, or feel free to ignore it. It is, after all, only my opinion on my life.

ElSapo

RunDownHouse
08-16-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In my past, I've chosen A when it should have been B; I've gone left when it should have been right; but all those summed up to bring me here, typing this, and that's a pretty good spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
As much as I hate using pokerisms outside of the game: don't be so results-oriented. Seriously, this is like saying, "I spent 20 years of my life toiling at a job I hated with a vicious shrew of a wife that tried to kill me every day... but I'm ok now, so its all good!"

Just because you're not a crack addict or something doesn't mean that you've never made a mistake, just that you never made that particular mistake.

You and peachy are just a couple of neohippies.

ElSapo
08-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Nice post. I don't necessarily agree with it, but nice post.

[ QUOTE ]
As much as I hate using pokerisms outside of the game: don't be so results-oriented. Seriously, this is like saying, "I spent 20 years of my life toiling at a job I hated with a vicious shrew of a wife that tried to kill me every day... but I'm ok now, so its all good!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if this is right. On the other hand, the admonition not to be results oriented in poker is because we will face the same situations time and time again. In life, it's not so black and white. My shrew wife and crack addiction you refer to will, presumably, not be coming back. And if they do come back, it will be within another set of circumstances.

[ QUOTE ]
You and peachy are just a couple of neohippies.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's me, no question about it.

Evan
08-16-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going back to look at the definition you meant

[/ QUOTE ]

Here it is:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you agree? They (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mistake) don't.

PITTM
08-16-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here it is:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, made up definitions crush dictionary definitions all day. you should be calling peachy "daddy" by now.

rj

pokerdirty
08-16-2005, 12:31 PM
somebody post the pic with the 5 guys in the hot tub...

and then tell me people dont make mistakes...

Los Feliz Slim
08-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Too much pot and booze in college, not enough women. Not my only mistake, my only regret.

That said, as the circumstances were there's no way it could've been any different. If I'd known then what I know now perhaps I'd be a different person now, and I'm very happy with myself so that's no good.

Most mistakes I've ever made I've learned from, so I'm glad I made them. But they're still mistakes, it's just a matter of context and perspective.

ElSapo
08-16-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here it is:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly certain the OP did not intend for this to get into an argument over the definition of "mistake," and it's not one I'm getting into either.

I didn't say others should share in my views, only that was how I chose respond to the question. Of all the things open to interpretation, you'd think a thread on life choices would be decidedly fair game.

ElSapo

08-16-2005, 12:35 PM
When I was just a baby,
My Mama told me, "Son,
Always be a good boy,
Don't ever play with guns,"
But I shot a man in Reno,
Just to watch him die,
When I hear that whistle blowin',
I hang my head and cry.

Evan
08-16-2005, 12:36 PM
I never thought you implied that anyone else should have to think the way you do. The matter at hand is that you said you agreed with someone whose opinion was based on a fabricated definition for a word that was just wrong. I was just curious to know if you agreed that a mistake is inherently something you regret.

ElSapo
08-16-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The matter at hand is that you said you agreed with someone whose opinion was based on a fabricated definition for a word that was just wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you meant that the definition was wrong, and not the word.

It's too bad this thread skewed this way. Think what you will of Peachy and/or his/her opinions, I think there were some interesting points. OOT, however, is probably the wrong place for this.

It is possible to use the wrong words to make the right point.

ElSapo

joeski19
08-16-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reading this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan
08-16-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Think what you will of Peachy and/or his/her opinions

[/ QUOTE ]
I think very little of his/her opinions when it comes to changing definitions of words. I think pretty low of anyone's opinion in that regard.

[ QUOTE ]
It is possible to use the wrong words to make the right point.

[/ QUOTE ]
If so, this wasn't it.

krishanleong
08-16-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife is like you. Semantics and vocabulary aside, she means she wouldn't go back and do things differently. One part is because some of the bad stuff helped make her the person she is today with me.

Krishan

ThisHo
08-16-2005, 01:08 PM
so the guy that got drunk, tried to drive home, ran a stop sign, hit a car with a mom and 3 kids (killing them all) didn't make a mistake?
How about the guy that beat his wife?
The mom that verbally abuses her kids on a regular basis?

Come on, this is total crap that "there are no mistakes" ... there are absolutely mistakes.

ThisHo

zoomOut
08-16-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes our choices are viewed by others as huge mistakes even though we adamently disagree and argue that because we don't regret our choice it therefore is not a mistake. Kind of a rationalization and a way of making sure our life is tidy and neat and without any self-incrimination.

Usually others see this for what it really is. Delusion or just arrogance.

PITTM
08-16-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so the guy that got drunk, tried to drive home, ran a stop sign, hit a car with a mom and 3 kids (killing them all) didn't make a mistake?
How about the guy that beat his wife?
The mom that verbally abuses her kids on a regular basis?

Come on, this is total crap that "there are no mistakes" ... there are absolutely mistakes.

ThisHo

[/ QUOTE ]

all of these people would argue that these actions somehow turned the person into what they are today, which is presumably good. however, i disagree with these people. these things are OBVIOUS mistakes.

rj

2planka
08-16-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are mistaken.

To answer the OP's question, my biggest mistake was returning to graduate school after getting news that my father was terminally ill. Instead, I returned to school after the winter break and he passed away two weeks into the semester.

ElSapo
08-16-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
these things are OBVIOUS mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan would probably disagree. In the mom's case, at least, she's doing it on purpose.

Evan
08-16-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan would probably disagree. In the mom's case, at least, she's doing it on purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this post. Why would I disagree? What does her doing it on purpose have to do with it? Weren't they all doing whatever they were doing on purpose? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ElSapo
08-16-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this post. Why would I disagree? What does her doing it on purpose have to do with it? Weren't they all doing whatever they were doing on purpose? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I take it back. I said I didn't want to get into a semantic argument - my apologies. I just get irritated when I think good points are being obscured by a focus on smaller issues.

Sorry.

08-16-2005, 01:29 PM
That I got married
Paul

PITTM
08-16-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, i think he would agree completely. maybe thats because we understand what "mistake" means?

rj

pokerstudAA
08-16-2005, 02:08 PM
I grew pot in college and got arrested for it. That was pretty stupid.

HopeydaFish
08-16-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would explain a lot. Peachy lives in Bizarro world. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

offTopic
08-16-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would explain a lot. Peachy lives in Bizarro world. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/bizarro.jpg

touchfaith
08-16-2005, 02:40 PM
We need a new lame word to argue about...This one is a mistake.

HopeydaFish
08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't regret arguing over the word 'mistake'. Therefore it isn't a mistake, is it?

HopeydaFish
08-16-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/bizarro.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

This needs to be reply to every one of her posts from now on.

PITTM
08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't regret arguing over the word 'mistake'. Therefore it isn't a mistake, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

you obviously haven't read the definition of "mistake" yet...

rj

MyMindIsGoing
08-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Being born at all.

Dex
08-16-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That I got married

[/ QUOTE ]

Toro
08-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Finding OOT. Lots of unproductive hours.