PDA

View Full Version : how to adjust to this game?

Jeebus
08-14-2005, 05:07 PM
This occured my last night in Tunica. I think I adjusted wrong and that combined with a few suck outs led me to my first loss in a live game in many moons.
So i sat down at the 1/2 NL at the Goldstrike, which has been playing much like a 2/5 game the whole time. Competent though weak players made it rather sweet. Tonight however an action player sits down along with some of the most loose passive players i have ever encountered. (yay for the 300 NL tournament) The action guy raises every hand to 10 dollars. I mean every hand too, I think he may have folded four hands pre-flop in 5 or 6 hours.
As a result of this raise, the loose players basically limped in with the hands they would limp with and then 90% would call the 10 dollar raise. On average 6 people saw the flop for a starting pot of 65 or so dollars. Other than these raises, preflop there were probably a total of 10 raises or reraises from other people in the time I was at the table. After the flop, any pair or any draw would be a calling hand for the players and top pair and better was a betting hand. The action player traditionally bet 1 1/3 the pot if no one had bet yet when he acted.
as a total result, traditional flop bets were about 100, turns around 300, and the river was an all in.

I compensated by buying in much higher (obviously since we are now playing loose as hell 1/2/10 NL) and playing extremely tight. I tried to just wait for monster hands but was running cold (I had ran ridicuously hot the first three nights with 10 or so high PP every night). In the end i got tilty and started calling with less than premium hands which then got outdrawn, sorta, and lost alittle. How would most people attack this game? Oh, most loose fishies had around 300 in chips, i had about 1000, and the action guy had around 3000. A few people came in and out with about 5 or 600

Vroomster
08-14-2005, 05:24 PM
I've not actually reached the level where I've managed to pull off any serious adjustments to the table, but I believe that if 5-6 ppl are seeing the flop for a raise each time, you need to limp in with any decent suited connector. Perhaps even suited Ax, and connectors that are high. High one-gappers probably will be suitable too. Of course, this is contingent on you being able to play decently postflop. Waiting for a monster is too passive for me, and will probably lead to tilt for me as well, as it did for you. Now imagine if you did wait for your monster, and you were sucked out on. Man, would that lead to bad tilt here since you waited forever to get it.

08-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Your implied odds will be huge, so suited connectors and aces go up in value, as well as any pair. Remember though: playing in a loose game will throw around your variance like a cheap prom date. You will lose a lot of small pots, but you will win enough when you hit to make up for it.