PDA

View Full Version : how is super system 2's triple draw 2-7 chapter?

08-14-2005, 04:46 PM
its the only section i have any intrest in reading...i was told its the only chapter ever written on the game?

08-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Didn't Negreaneu (sp?) write it? I think he claimed it was the definitive work on the game.

08-14-2005, 07:41 PM
It's pretty good. It's an excellent introduction to the game, but triple draw is a very technical game, and it doesn't delve too deeply into the specifics of why you play hands the way Daniel advises. Definitely read it if you're not already well versed in triple draw.

greatwhite
08-14-2005, 08:15 PM
I don't know if triple draw is covered, but there is a book on lowball and draw by 2+2. I like the game too and maybe I'll buy that book.

SNOWBALL138
08-14-2005, 09:06 PM
triple draw is not covered. I don't think Mason even plays TD.

amulet
08-14-2005, 11:31 PM
it is very good. i wish he could have written more, but super systems has short chapters. i highly recommend it (it is one of only 2 goods parts of ss).

fnord_too
08-15-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its the only section i have any intrest in reading...i was told its the only chapter ever written on the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read. I have gotten on a couple of TD kicks in the past 2 years, one A-5, one 2-7. If you haven't played TD much, I would say it is pretty good, but if you have played a fair amount and are well versed in basic poker strategy the advice is pretty simple.

Either way, I think one of the best things to do after you have basic strategy down is to start plugging through some of the math on your own. There are lots of anwerable questions out there that don't have published answers, like: What is the EV of check raising a pat nine with one draw left (HU) after we both drew one last round? Obviously you need assumptions about the opponent, and you can do the analysis for various types of opponents, but doing a detailed analysis of lines for these common, yet complex, scenarios will give you great insight into the subtleties of the game (as well as poker in general IMO).

colgin
08-15-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I am aware it is the only strategy section on the game in book format. I am sure there are online discussions somewhere. I bought SS2 in part because of that chapter as I wanted to learn TDL 2-7 but did not know where to turn.

It seems like a very good primer to me although in honesty I don't know the game well enough to judge just how good the advice really is. Reading it through it seemed like a very good basic strategy to start with and helped me from going from absolutely clueless to soewhat competent when I was plaing the game (I have forgotten a fair amount of the chapter since I haven't played the game in several months now).

Bottom line is that this seems to be a very good starting point if you knwo nothing about the game and probably adds value even if you already do know a bit. If you plan on playing TDL it is probably worthwhile buying SS2 for this chapter alone (although I think there are some other good chapters as well, Stud 8 and O/8, for example).

fnord_too
08-15-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure there are online discussions somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Other Poker (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=otherp) forum here gets a fair amount of TD discussion, both theoretical and on specific hands.

colgin
08-15-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am sure there are online discussions somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Other Poker (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=otherp) forum here gets a fair amount of TD discussion, both theoretical and on specific hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I had looked there a while back when I was laying quasi-regularly but the TDL postings were somewhat small in number. I will check it out again.

sammy_g
08-15-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it is very good. i wish he could have written more, but super systems has short chapters. i highly recommend it (it is one of only 2 goods parts of ss).

[/ QUOTE ]
Is Omaha/8 the other?

(Just curious.)