PDA

View Full Version : SSHE tight or loose?

Guthrie
08-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Almost every day when reading hand posts I see someone say fold preflop. I've even seen the term suicidal used. I've been calling with the same hand, so I look it up in SSHE and sure enough, it says call. Then I go to PT and look it up and I'm ahead on that starting hand. I'm not talking about hands where the decision might be affected by too many, or too few, limpers, but a fairly standard call.

So, for limits up to 1/2 do you use the SSHE tight or loose preflop charts, or something else?

ProsperousOne
08-14-2005, 04:48 PM
might want to edit and change the icon to poll....

ProsperousOne
08-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Dooh! saw the book in your post, not the thread.. never mind..

bottomset
08-14-2005, 04:55 PM
prob talking about 99 and AJo huh

yeah its been brought up plenty of times

anyway I don't use a starting hand chart anymore

Guthrie
08-14-2005, 05:20 PM
No, pretty much all the hands that constitute the difference between the tight and loose charts, including a lot of cold-calling situations.

Taxmanrick
08-14-2005, 05:30 PM
I have the loose Games chart open as I play. It's gotten to where I refer to it only occasionally now but stick to it.

UncleSalty
08-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Have you read the "training wheels" post by Ed? So much of PF play becomes situational that the charts really aren't optimal anyway, they're just rough guides to get a decent player started.

Also, starting hand selection on this forum has been a bit dynamic. I think a lot of people have been experimenting in the last year or so to see how far you can push the VPIP and still get optimal winrate at the micros through solid postflop play. My PF stats at $2/$4 over about 35K hands are 23/12 and I'm running at about 3BB/100. (Disclaimer: Small sample size..blah blah.)

DCWildcat
08-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Two things you should learn:
1) Table selection is extremely important
2) You should only be playing at tables that allow you to play on the looser side of the Tight chart at worst anyway.

GTSamIAm
08-14-2005, 05:52 PM
I say that SSHE is loose, but I think it is correct. Many of the hands they suggest playing require good reads, though. You can't just follow the suggestions for a loose game blindly, you have to know which player is which in your game.

Sasnak
08-14-2005, 06:12 PM
The 3 Stages of Preflop Play

1) You utilize a chart straight from the book. Either win or lose a 100BB's or take a series of bad beats. Then you begin to look for better books with better charts.

2) There comes a point where you have the charts basically memorized from using them for so long and you play them robotically. Now you consider yourself an "above average player" or a "winning player" whom is on a "bad run" of cards.

3) All of a sudden you have the preflop hands dialed in, and you notice you can do things preflop to maximize your post flop play. You'll also wonder why others post about preflop charts like we all have and why anyone would even use them! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

~