PDA

View Full Version : Monitor is driving me nuts

08-14-2005, 04:41 PM
I have a monitor that flickers. When it flickers, it makes the reds on the screen look black and the greens look brown. It is very annoying. Every so often it flickers back to normal and it looks good until it does it again. It is annoying as hell. The monitor is about a year old. I have compaq 7550 monitor with an Emachines AMD AThlon PC and a S3 ProSavage Video card. Do I have to buy a new video card or something ? If I turn the monitor off and then on, the colors are still messed up so I'm not thinking that it is the monitor but something in my PC.

MyMindIsGoing
08-14-2005, 05:26 PM
When it does that it is usually the monitor cable itself that is broken not the monitor. Seen it happen alot of times.

08-14-2005, 05:35 PM
OK. Interesting. I didn't think of that. HOw do you replace that ? Isn't the cable welded into monitor or something ? I'll look behind it to see what I can see.

MyMindIsGoing
08-14-2005, 06:08 PM
There are two types, easy to remove with screw or those that look perm. Those that look perm are not. There are replacements to buy. You can easily test if it is the cable. Shake the cable some while you are using it (picture should be ok before shaking so you se if it is no longer ok), if it flickers then that is it.

08-14-2005, 06:58 PM
I tampered with the cable a little and it didn't flicker or anything. The screen is killing me. Reds are blackened and the screen is just ugly. I can see everything but it kind of hurts my eyes because it is kind of flourescent or something. It's hard to describe but if you looked at it, you would not like it.

I went and looked at my drivers for my moniter and it turned out that I had an older driver for my monitor so I clicked update driver and it installed a newer one. Old one was 6/6/2001 and new one is now 10/1/2001 . Maybe that helped ? I haven't restarted it yet. I've also heard that some kind of magnetic interference can bother monitors ? It seemed like for 2 weeks, I hadn't had this problem but it came back just recently. It comes and goes.

Now I'm looking at the hardware acceleration Tab. Maybe my graphics card can't handle some of the things that I am allowing? The setting was on Full Hardware Acceleration but my graphics card is a piece of junk so maybe this shouldn't be on full. I'll take it down a few settings and see what happens.

MyMindIsGoing
08-14-2005, 07:49 PM
What resolution and refreshrate do you use/used?

08-14-2005, 07:59 PM
It just changed back to normal again and now everything looks fine. I checked the plugs in back of the monitor and disconnected and reconnected the connection to the case and screwed it in tight. I disabled hardware acceleration and when my PC restarted, my desktop Icons displayed the quickest that I've ever seen. They usually refresh very slowly so I might keep it like this.

I use 1024 x 768 resolution with 60 hz refresh usually. When I play poker, I usually play with 1600 x 1200, though. It doesn't seem to matter which resolution I use but I could be wrong.