PDA

View Full Version : $109s - Stupid Resteal

Unarmed
08-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Villain has min-raised every time its been folded to him on my BB. (around 4 times) UTG is tight. I gotta chill out don't I...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1405)
Button (t2730)
SB (t4460)
Hero (t1405)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t300</font>, Hero pushes.

gumpzilla
08-14-2005, 04:01 PM
If he's come at you 4 BBs in a row, I think this is fine. You have just enough stack to give yourself some folding equity here; if you haven't been fighting back in these situations, I don't think he's going to call at ~3:2 unless you're unlucky and he really does have a pretty good hand. The resteal nets you more chips and, particularly if you haven't been fighting back much, looks less suspicious than continuing to light into UTG every turn. So, I like it, but then again I'm probably a little too resteal happy.

MegaBet
08-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Eugh...I fold here. Whether or not he has been doing this, it's his job as the large stack to do this on the bubble. He may very well have a big hand or will be willing to gamble with you. Considering the stack sizes, I just swallow my pride and fold.

octaveshift
08-14-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain has min-raised every time its been folded to him on my BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a situation I find myself in from time to time, and the unfortunate thing is, you have to take a stand at some point, unless you like being an ATM machine.

Based on a similar thread I started a few months back, the consensus was to pick a hand that's over 50% and jam.

Ergo, I don't really like this with J5. I have seen chronic minraisers call a resteal with hands as bad as JT, even at the 109 level.

(Probably because most minraisers are total donks.)

jeffraider
08-14-2005, 06:40 PM
I think you need something along the lines of any ace, most kings, any pair, any two broadways for this move with your stack.

I don't like being minraised to death either, but your stack in this hand is actually stronger than it seems, if you ask me.

This is something that I've been considering for a while, tell me what you think:

Your position at this table is worth a stack twice your current size if you ask me. For one thing, the big stack acts before you, which is good because you can stay out of his way and play with the other two stacks whenever the big stack lets you. Another thing that is great is the other small stack acts after you so you get to beat him in the pot on those nice profitable pushes that you'll start finding in the next few hands. Basically, what I'm saying is this:

Based on the favourable stack sizes and positions, you should err on the side of being conservative against the big stack.

Let me know what you guys think of my little theory. This may be old hat to some of you but it's something I'm paying a lot more attention to these days with great results.

ReDeYES88
08-14-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your position at this table is worth a stack twice your current size if you ask me. For one thing, the big stack acts before you, which is good because you can stay out of his way and play with the other two stacks whenever the big stack lets you. Another thing that is great is the other small stack acts after you so you get to beat him in the pot on those nice profitable pushes that you'll start finding in the next few hands. Basically, what I'm saying is this:

Based on the favourable stack sizes and positions, you should err on the side of being conservative against the big stack.

Let me know what you guys think of my little theory. This may be old hat to some of you but it's something I'm paying a lot more attention to these days with great results.

[/ QUOTE ]

. .yes, it's old hat . . but it's a very astute observation.. . .

[ QUOTE ]
Your position at this table is worth a stack twice your current size if you ask me

[/ QUOTE ]

. .i would be curious if there is a mathematical calculation of the increase in the value of your chips + position relative to the other players in this situation.

psyduck
08-15-2005, 04:58 AM
Bad re-steal. I might take a flop and push any flop if villain checks to me.

As it is, you can push any two into UTG next hand with equal stacks. Wait it out. I hate minraising donks too, but J4s isn't the hand to take a stand with, with a guy that has you covered 3x.