PDA

View Full Version : 200NL...Playing back at a blind stealer.....Rip me apart

Salerosa
08-14-2005, 02:58 PM
200NL I'm in the small blind with 200, button has me covered. I've been sitting down for about 8 orbits and he has raised to 8 or 10 and stolen my SB about 6 or 7 of those times and I have not really had any cards to play back at him. My image at the table may appear somewhat tight as I havent really had anything to play. Thus far I have not shown down anything, either stolen the pot or folded to an aggressor.

Folded to him he makes it 8. I call in SB with 68spades with the intention of stealing the pot on the flop.

(Pot=18)Flop comes 4 8 9 with two diamonds.

I check, he bets 20. I had planned on check-raising, but now decide to wait till the turn and bluff a scare card, plus I think I may be ahead here regardless. I call.

(Pot=50something) Turn is the 6 of diamonds. I check, he bets 50, I make it 120, he pushes, I call.

Let me have it.

amoeba
08-14-2005, 03:05 PM
its good if he does not semibluff but we don't know these things.

I like leading the turn when the scarecard comes. he really can't raise me with anything other than a flush. but he might call me down thinking i'm bluffing and get taken out by 2 pair.

Salerosa
08-14-2005, 07:12 PM
This hand uninteresting to everyone else?

AllIn3High
08-14-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's just a tough one. I would probably have potted the flop and taken it from there. I would really like to play a small pot here and if he just folds the flop that's OK by me.

crosse91
08-14-2005, 07:36 PM
i don't understand why you need to play back at his blind steal. This isn't a tournament and playing a drawing hand oop against an aggressive player isn't a recipe for sucess unless you hit pretty hard. Also, if you want to resteal-pot the flop.

punter11235
08-14-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
200NL I'm in the small blind

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in the worst seat possible and you really dont want to play many hands here.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been sitting down for about 8 orbits and he has raised to 8 or 10 and stolen my SB about 6 or 7 of those times and I have not really had any cards to play back at him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has position. With position he has many playable hands. You dont. He is doing his job. Do yours and fold almost everything. Playing hand which is way worse than almost anything he can have here without position is terrible.

[ QUOTE ]
I check, he bets 20. I had planned on check-raising, but now decide to wait till the turn and bluff a scare card, plus I think I may be ahead here regardless. I call.

(Pot=50something) Turn is the 6 of diamonds. I check, he bets 50, I make it 120, he pushes, I call .

[/ QUOTE ]
This is awful. You had nice plan. You thought that he would fold after seeing a scare card. This turn as scare as it gets and he didnt fold... worse he pushes. One of the following is true :
a)your plan was bad
b)your plan was good but he has monster

b) is more probable , clear fold here.

One more time: forget about playing back when in the blinds. Just fold and raise 2hands later when you have the button hoping that some donk in the blinds wont like it and will play back at you.

Best wishes

Triumph36
08-14-2005, 09:14 PM
If you're going to play back at him, you should be raising at some point in the hand, and much earlier than the turn, where it pot-commits you. I don't know why you picked 68 of spades since I don't call any raises with this hand OOP except a min-raise.

I don't see what you're ahead of except for Ad9 or any Ad hand, and since you never figured out where you were at, you're just putting the money in and praying. That is the problem with calling raises off the button - the button could have literally any two here. Better to let him keep stealing - blind stealers in my experience at 200 NL usually have the fortunate habit of calling re-raises, so you can wait for a real hand to pop him back.

Salerosa
08-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, I really hated my line with this one (hence the posting) and misread villain badly. I don't like to be bullied around and know I picked a bad spot to make a stand.

River is a blank, and villain shows AA (no diamond) and MHIG. What troubled me most about this hand is how badly I misread villain, but is play makes more sense now. I guess he gave me less credit on the turn than I gave him the rest of the hand. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Edit: I forgot to include this is 6-max.

donny5k
08-15-2005, 05:20 AM
If he had bet out on the turn, folding to a big raise is reasonable. But folding to an allin after he checkraised to 120 is completely unreasonable. This is the definition of pot committed is it not? Hero has 75% of his stack in at this point, and he's most likely not drawing dead and he might be ahead of a bad player overplaying his hand (i.e. the actual result, AA).

donny5k
08-15-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess he gave me less credit on the turn than I gave him the rest of the hand. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It is quite likely that he just never folds AA on a raggy board even with a 3-flush.

Salerosa
08-15-2005, 05:24 AM
Yeah, I didn't understand that one at all. That is the one point in the hand where I shouldn't be folding.

fuzzbox
08-15-2005, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's just a tough one. I would probably have potted the flop and taken it from there. I would really like to play a small pot here and if he just folds the flop that's OK by me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt potting the flop make it a big pot (if he plays)