PDA

View Full Version : Pancakes

woodguy
08-14-2005, 12:42 PM
My bride-to-be, made a fine mess o' pancakes this AM, so I thought I would share.

Not from scratch, but uses the Aunt Jemima mix that requires eggs and milk, stay away from the "add milk only" mixes as they are loaded with transfats.

She schmooshed 2 over-ripe bananas into the mix, 3 tsps of cinnamon, and here's the key....use 3/4 of the milk required and use sour cream for the rest (we have 0% fat sour cream, works great)

The sour cream give the pancakes an awesome smooth, thick texture which makes them extra filling, yet not the heavy stick-to-your-ribs heavy.

For syrup, we have "C" grade pure maple we get from a health food store. It's also called "Quebec#1" or "Canada#2" grade.

Its darker and thicker and way tastier than "A" grade.
The health food guy says that's because the process of making maple into "A" grade takes out a lot minerals and what-not, but he's a health food guy so I usually don't believe a word he says.

We have the "A" in the house, but both prefer the "C".

In all, a fine breakfast was had by all.

Regards,
Woodguy

bishopstrt
08-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Thank you for sharing. Not sure I like cinnamon in my pancakes though.

tolbiny
08-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Mmm sounds good- I've been trying out pancake reciepies that don't require syrup/sugar/butter on top. My favorite so far is lemon cranberry- leaves the most wondreful aftertaste when you are done.

TheIrishThug
08-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Damn it! I want pancakes! God! You people understand every language except English. Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez-moi pancakes. Click-click-bloody click pancakes!

bishopstrt
08-14-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite so far is lemon cranberry

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds very decent and now I'm hungry. (I still like cornmeal though.)

JaBlue
08-14-2005, 01:02 PM
sour cream?

She didn't put any sugar in with the cinnamon? Cinnamon by itself would be kind of bitter, but cinnamon sugar would be good. I like banana+cinnamon sugar pancakes too.

woodguy
08-14-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sour cream?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't taste it, it just adds a smoother texture and makes them more filling. Yum.

Regards,
Woodguy

mason55
08-14-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mmm sounds good- I've been trying out pancake reciepies that don't require syrup/sugar/butter on top. My favorite so far is lemon cranberry- leaves the most wondreful aftertaste when you are done.

[/ QUOTE ]

recipe?

JaBlue
08-14-2005, 02:14 PM
I assumed that. Just the question mark because I would have never guessed that one might add sour cream to one's pancakes.

I'll try it.

woodguy
08-14-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just the question mark because I would have never guessed that one might add sour cream to one's pancakes

[/ QUOTE ]

When one has some Ukrainian heritage, you kinda add sour cream to everything. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,
Woodguy

ChipWrecked
08-14-2005, 04:06 PM
That sounds delicious.

My mom's banana bread recipie called for sour milk. Sounds disgusting, but oh baby.... *drool* ......

benfranklin
08-14-2005, 05:59 PM
The Best Buttermilk Pancakes (from Alton Brown on "Good Eats")

PANCAKE MIX

6 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (check expiration date first)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugar

Combine all of the ingredients in a lidded container. Shake to mix.

Use the mix within 3 months.

PANCAKES

2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups Pancake Mix, recipe above
1 stick butter, for greasing the pan
2 cups fresh fruit such as blueberries, if desired

Heat an electric griddle or frying pan to 350 degrees F. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.

Whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter.

Combine the buttermilk mixture with the egg yolk mixture in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the pancake mix. Using a whisk, mix the batter just enough to bring it together. Don't try to work all the lumps out.

Check to see that the griddle is hot by placing a few drops of water onto to the griddle. The griddle is ready if the water dances across the surface.

Lightly butter the griddle. Wipe off thoroughly with a paper towel. (No butter should be visible.)

Gently ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle and sprinkle on fruit if desired. When bubbles begin to set around the edges of the pancake and the griddle-side of the cake is golden, gently flip the pancakes. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set.

tolbiny
08-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Its jsut a basic pancakes reciepe

sift
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
3 tablespoons of sugar
2 tsp baking powder

mix
2 eggs
3 tblsp melted butter
1 cup milk
3 tblsp (what i use- depnds on how lemony you want them) lemon juice

After you mix the dry and wet ingrediants stir in 1/2 cup of sweetened dried cranberries (again depends on how many you ant in there).

for fluffier pancakes add a little more flour and baking powder.

mike l.
08-14-2005, 09:30 PM
"uses the Aunt Jemima mix"

probably fine to date, but i wouldnt marry that. it's homemade with blueberries all the way for me or nothing.

mike l.
08-14-2005, 09:31 PM
sour cream helps a lot. buttermilk or yogurt are fine too. my wife makes the most unbelievable homemade pancakes on earth.

mason55
08-14-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its jsut a basic pancakes reciepe

sift
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
3 tablespoons of sugar
2 tsp baking powder

mix
2 eggs
3 tblsp melted butter
1 cup milk
3 tblsp (what i use- depnds on how lemony you want them) lemon juice

After you mix the dry and wet ingrediants stir in 1/2 cup of sweetened dried cranberries (again depends on how many you ant in there).

for fluffier pancakes add a little more flour and baking powder.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome, thx. making these tmorrow maybe

jacki
08-14-2005, 09:45 PM
i thought this post was going to be about floppy boobs.

jakethebake
08-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Did you have sausage with them? Bacon?

tolbiny
08-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Lets us know how they turn out.

mwilli31
08-15-2005, 12:57 PM
"As a comedian, you have to start the show strong and you have to end the show strong. Those are the two key elements. You can't be like pancakes, all exciting at first, but then by the end, you're [censored] sick of 'em." -- The Late, Great Mitch Hedberg

Sorry, came to my head as soon as I read the title of your post.

Diplomat
08-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Heh, I actually have this exact mix in my kitchen right now. Used it last week to make some pancakes with peaches. Damn fine recipe.

-Diplomat