PDA

View Full Version : Multi-tabling SNGs

08-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Hello,

I've been doing pretty well playing low buy-in SNGs, $5+0.50 and $10+1 single tabling. I read all over the place that people multi-table 2, 3, 4, etc. their SNGs. I'm thoroughly puzzled how?

Aside from play top hands and playing your cards I don't understand how you can honestly pay attention to everyone else's betting patterns, reactions to various situations, showdown cards, taking notes, etc., at every table so you can make optimal moves especially when you don't have the cards (which happens more often than not). I would be extremely less apt to make a big raise against a guy who I'm pretty sure will fold in a crucial situation because I wouldn't have been studying the table/player close enough to know when the situation was presenting itself.

I did some multi-tabling in the past and didn't have as good success as I am now with single tabling. Maybe it just takes practice getting used to multi-tabling 2-4 tables? Any hints or suggestions as to how to make multi-tabling SNGs any easier? Thanks.

MegaBet
08-14-2005, 12:07 PM
It comes with practice. Most plays are automatic and play themselves. "Reads" are not as important online as knowing how to play a hand correctly. Yes, this diminishes your ROI, but sheer volume increases your total $ profit.

skirtus
08-14-2005, 12:22 PM
I think multi-tabling presents the most challenges in the later rounds. Maybe just try staggering 2 tables. Start 1 table and than when you hit the 4th level start the 2nd table. This will allow you some time to establish reads and playing style before you start the 2nd table.

Ogre
08-14-2005, 12:22 PM
98% of the plays are automatic after you play at a limit for a while. Throw reads out the window to add tons of hourly rate.

Myst
08-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Like anything else

Practice makes perfect.

wildzer0
08-14-2005, 12:58 PM
I 8-table and my reads usually don't go beyond vague impressions. Most of the decisions are more or less automatic anyway. I like to get a general feel for the table and try to pay close attention to an occasional hand to get a more concrete opinion of the people i'm going to be stealing from in later rounds. But overall, I have very little in the way of reads. One thing I'm planning on figuring out today, is how to export notes from poker tracker. This may help a bit, we'll see.

MegaBet
08-14-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think multi-tabling presents the most challenges in the later rounds. Maybe just try staggering 2 tables. Start 1 table and than when you hit the 4th level start the 2nd table. This will allow you some time to establish reads and playing style before you start the 2nd table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eugh...no! It simplifies things if you play in "sets" - ie start up 2/4/8 tables at the same time. It's hard enough playing multiple tables, but having to constantly keep track of the blind level to determine what to do makes things 10x more difficult. At least, it does for me. Personally, I like the "thrill ride" of bubbling 4 tables at the same time - shows I am doing something right /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jgunnip
08-14-2005, 01:59 PM
I agree that when somebody starts out, they should learn to stagger. It makes one less thing (the level) that they have to worry about, however after a while some tables well serparate themselves by a level or two or three. Once a player can adjust for this, they should try playing contiuously. Yes, at first its a little complicated, but like anything, its a skill that will improve with practice and also add hella lot to your hourly rate.

08-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I figured when you get into multi-tabling your ability to make reads and moves based solely on what you have seen at that table diminishes greatly. I take a lot of notes on every player I'm up against and make notes on size of bets in relation to pot size/position/number of players still to act/against aggressive players/ against weak players/ how they repsond to check raises/ over size bets/ etc. I was just totally baffled how I could continue to do that while multi-tabling; but instead I should be trying to focus on the key hands. I still feel like you lose a lot, especially in the early stages of each SNG because I tend to get a feel for betting patterns and such which is considerably harder to discern in later levels because the size of the blinds and bet sizes are a great portion of everyone's stacks.

Like most of you stated, ROI will more than likely decrease but I should make up for it in volume. Thanks again and I'll just have to give it a shot again and see how I fare this time around.

bluef0x
08-14-2005, 02:26 PM
What level are you playing? Do you even see the same players after your 1 SnG? If your playing at low limits, taking notes is worthless. The players are so random that they will sometimes limp and sometimes go all-in the first hand of the game with AA. I doubt they know anything about position.

I 4 table continuously.. it's not hard at all, you should be folding practically every hand in the begining stages and then only worry about picking up a good hand and when to steal in the later stages.

Seth Money
08-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Zeke,

I think all of these are great posts but I would care to mention that once you start multi tabling it is hard to do only one again. I am 4 tabling and anythign else I think I might have to hang myself from boredom.

Seth Money