PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Nissan Maxima question

08-14-2005, 11:05 AM
I am looking at buying a Nissan Maxima and I just called a guy about one here locally. I saw online at a couple sites that it sayas it takes premium gas, but I called him and asked him what kind his took and he said regular.

Does anyone on here know which it, in fact, takes? Can I put regular in the car?

Sponger15SB
08-14-2005, 11:06 AM
If you have official stuff that says it uses premium, use premium.

Otherwise buy a piece of [censored] car if you aren't going to take care of it.

08-14-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponger, maybe you misunderstood.

I don't mind putting premium in it if that's what it requires.

DasLeben
08-14-2005, 11:53 AM
The car will take any normal octane, but you should really put the octane that is officially recommended in there. The owner's manual will tell you.

Just as a note, if it says that 87 is fine, don't feel the need to put 91 in. In a lot of cars, putting "premium" in does nothing but burn a hole in your wallet faster.

astroglide
08-14-2005, 12:33 PM
normally there's a sticker inside the gas tank lid (on the metal part of the car that pops open) that specifies the required gasoline

Eurotrash
08-14-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She needs premium, dude! PREMIUM!

[/ QUOTE ]

Leo99
08-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Nissan says to use premium. The previous owner used regular. Using regular may have harmed the engine. Maybe not. I'd use regular unless I heard knocking or pinging.

Sponger15SB
08-14-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponger, maybe you misunderstood.

I don't mind putting premium in it if that's what it requires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, thats fine. It looked like you were just trying to get around using premium.

Stellastarr
08-14-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am looking at buying a Nissan Maxima and I just called a guy about one here locally. I saw online at a couple sites that it sayas it takes premium gas, but I called him and asked him what kind his took and he said regular.

Does anyone on here know which it, in fact, takes? Can I put regular in the car?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 97 Maxima. On the inside of the gas cover is says "use premium gas for best performance" or something similar. Im too lazy to run out and look. I always put in premium. fwiw

08-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks for your help guys.

I just bought the car, FWIW. She's a beaut.

08-14-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 97 Maxima. On the inside of the gas cover is says "use premium gas for best performance" or something similar. Im too lazy to run out and look. I always put in premium. fwiw

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that's exactly what this says. I don't want the engine to ping so I will be putting 91 in. Actually Ultra 93 is only 2 cents more per gallon than Premium 91 so I will be putting that in. 34 cents more when I full up means nothing to me.

Stellastarr
08-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Grats man. Its a good car.

Sponger15SB
08-14-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
34 cents more when I full up means nothing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're such a baller

siccjay
08-14-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the difference between 87 and 93? I would think you could find a car that doesn't need premium gas and save yourself some money over the long run.

dtbog
08-14-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my 1999 Maxima needs premium.

give it medium and it knocks!

Slow Play Ray
08-14-2005, 08:54 PM
I have a 99 Maxima, I put premium in. I put 87 in a couple times, and there is definitely a noticeable drop in power and gas mileage. Also, a buddy of mine was putting 87 in his 2000 Maxima for a year, and the engine started knocking. He went to 93, and the knocking ceased.

Use premium.

battschr
08-14-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She needs premium, dude! PREMIUM!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!!!!!

sublime
08-14-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're such a baller

[/ QUOTE ]

you gonna get me laid when i first hit SD?

08-15-2005, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the difference between 87 and 93? I would think you could find a car that doesn't need premium gas and save yourself some money over the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, but not one as nice as the Maxima in my price range.