PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo

12-12-2001, 04:45 PM
Just watched Vertigo again last night. One my all-time favorites. I still get goosebumps during the final scene. "You were a very apt pupil, weren't you?" That great shot of Kim Novak's feet being dragged up the steps. Great story, told by a master at the top of his game.

12-12-2001, 05:29 PM
Agreed 100%. Vertigo is the best Hitchcock film. North by Northwest is quite overrated, and Psycho, while great for its time hasn't aged terribly well. Rear Window and Notorious are both great films, but they do not have the sheer mental intensity of Vertigo. It is basically a combination of the themes of his other films, the identity confusion from Pyscho, the mystical controlling force from The Birds, etc... One of the 10 best films I have ever seen. I have seen a lot of films by the way...

-Glenn

12-12-2001, 06:22 PM
It's great to see these films on the big screen cause I'm getting used to watching them now only on TV. Saw The Third Man on a new print recently, knocked me out again.

12-12-2001, 10:45 PM
Andy,

It's also one of my favorites, and it features one of Bernard Hermann's greatest scores. My favorite scene is when Scottie follows Madeleine through San Francisco. Notice that he never drives up hills, only down hills.

John

12-13-2001, 01:21 AM
"Notice that he never drives up hills, only down hills"

Maybe he started on top /images/biggrin.gif

12-13-2001, 01:23 AM
Glenn,

Agree 100% that North by Northwest is overrated.

~ Rick

12-13-2001, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I love that one, too. The zither music, Wells in the ferris wheel, those great oblique camera angles, and the final chase in the sewers.

And the final scene when she just keeps walking past Joseph Cotton. . .

Wonderful movie.

12-13-2001, 09:57 AM
One other note on The Third Man: compare Trevor Howard's voice over narration at the beginning of the film to his voice over narration for the documentary Memory of the Camps. In Third Man, Howard mimics the style of the very sort of fiction written by Joseph Cotton's character in the film. Remember that Howard's character has already witnessed the events in the film. Memory of the Camps, the edited film footage of the British Army taken during the liberation of many concentration camps, gains part of its power from Howard's flat, almost emotionless voice over.

Perhaps it's also worth noting that Hitchcock did part of the editing for Memory of the Camps, about the same time he was working on Vertigo.

John

12-13-2001, 10:07 AM
Rick,

Pure ROT! It's great Hitchcock.

John

BTW, the "O" in Roger O. Thornhill stands for nothing.

12-14-2001, 12:05 AM
John,

What does the "W" in John W. Cole stand for again?

Just Curious,

Rick