PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion, please!

08-14-2005, 05:16 AM
Please share your thoughts...

3/6 hold'em cash game:

River card is dealt (board is KQ97J). 1st position checks. I'm in 5th position and flip my cards over (K8). Next thing I know, dealer is shoving the pot to the guy in 7th position, who shows one of his hole cards (K). I protest and ask why the pot (close to $100) is going to the guy in 7th position.

Apparently, the guy in 7th position bet out of turn, and when I flipped my cards over after the 1st position guy checked, everyone thought I folded and hence I lost the pot. I had been betting since the flop, and I thought I was heads up against the guy in 1st position. When the river card came and he checked, I also checked and so I flipped my cards.

I admit I was tired and lost track of what was going on. After flipping my cards over, I just looked at the guy in 1st position to see if he would turn over his cards. During this time, the dealer was pushing the chips to the guy sitting in 7th position.

Should I have been given a chance to call the guy siting in 7th position who bet out of turn?

Floorman sided with the guy in 7th position.

Would appreciate your comments.

Thanks!

youtalkfunny
08-14-2005, 05:29 AM
Where are your cards when the pot is being pushed?

If you still have them, you are still competing for this pot.

If they have been mucked by the dealer, then you didn't protect your hand. Nor did you protect your action. You gave no one any indication that you still wanted to compete for this pot.

The people at the table cannot read your mind. If the dealer sees #7 bet, and sees you surrender your cards (face up or face down), it's over.

If you still have your cards, on the other hand, it's a much different story. The dealer is supposed to muck all losing hands before pushing the pot. This gives you the chance to put a stop to things before the pot gets pushed.

I don't know how you can say #7 acted out of turn, when you had no idea he was even involved--how can you know WHEN he acted, when your focus was on the other end of the table?.

texasranger
08-14-2005, 07:59 AM
This play is getting ruled wrong in most places since the popularity of tournament poker has grown. The big questions here are did you keep control of your cards and does your cardroom only allow exposed hands in heads up pots. The answers to theses questions will determine the ruling. On the off chance your room is new, they may have adopted tournament rules, and in this case, your hand is dead.