PDA

View Full Version : Nut straight, paired turn

xorbie
08-14-2005, 05:13 AM
$.5/$1 at Empire, full ring. Folds to me in LP, I raise with K/images/graemlins/club.gifT/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Folds to SB who calls. A few hands ago, he called a raise with AJo, checked A high flop behind, checked the turn behind and raised river (lost to AK). This is like my sixth hand at the table.

Flop ($8): AQJ, two /images/graemlins/club.gif

He checks, I bet $8, he calls.

Turn ($24): AQJA, putting two /images/graemlins/heart.gif on the board

Hero....

savman
08-14-2005, 05:35 AM
i am using position on the turn and checking through. betting allows villain to explode pot with a boat, and push u off best hand when he looks up and says "i just made trip A's on da tern" i am calling reasonable river bets and betting for value if checked to again on river.

xcrack999
08-14-2005, 11:59 AM
I actually like betting the turn and checking behind on the river. There are so many cards that you don't want to see on the river: a /images/graemlins/club.gif, A, K, Q, J, T, and maybe even a /images/graemlins/heart.gif. The worst thing that can happen is getting check-raised on the river or villain betting out big on the river. Especially if one of those scare cards hit, you can't distinguish whether he's betting his trip aces because you've shown weakness or has a flush or has a boat or has a straight or has absolutely nothing. If you bet on the turn and he check-raises you, at least you have an easier time deciding what he has because it can't be a flush, a straight with one holecard used, or a pure bluff.

AllIn3High
08-14-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm betting $20 and folding if he moves in. If he calls I'm betting $30-ish on a blank river and checking through on a scary one. If he bets full pot on the river I'm folding. He has no reason to believe his trip A's aren't good.

As xcrack999 pointed out, there are lots of cards that will kill your hand / action on the river.