PDA

View Full Version : longest time away from poker?

irishpint
08-14-2005, 04:01 AM
im not in a particular bad run of cards or anything, i just have no desire to play for a while- so i wont. what's the longest 'break' you've taken from the game? i like talking, thinking, etc. about it, just dont have the desire to play right now. odd?

Reef
08-14-2005, 04:38 AM
a week or two. I don't think these were by choice.

my longest voluntary break was probably a week.

SmileyEH
08-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Maybe a week. The need to feed and clothe myself always brigns me back.

-SmileyEH

TheBlueMonster
08-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Three days

krubban
08-14-2005, 12:02 PM
I had a 4 month break when World of Warcraft came out. Was sick and tired of playing anyways. But now I'm back and poker feels so much more fun then it used to right before i took a break. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

autobet
08-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Ten years. I did play about once a year during that stretch.

Now I like to take a week off every month or two. Sometimes the breaks are after loosing streaks, but just as often after winning streaks.

Playing when I feel like it makes all the differences. It not just about making money.

Cosimo
08-14-2005, 12:57 PM
I read part of HEPFAP and played live 2000-ish. Nothing serious til Summer 2003. Played for about 6 months and took a break for six months, played for a couple months took a break for 4, played for a couple months took a break for 4. And here I am. Been playing for about five weeks.

I've got a day job that pays the bills, so poker is just spending money. At 1-2, it's not a lot of spending money.

SoftcoreRevolt
08-14-2005, 02:17 PM
About 10 days.

ace_in_the_hole
08-14-2005, 02:25 PM
In the last 2 years I can't remember going more than a day without playing live or online. Kinda sick. But it made it possible for em to move out of my parent's house. When i started my poker income was slightly less than my part time job and now its is close to triple that. ($/HR)

GoblinMason (Craig)
08-14-2005, 02:37 PM
When I started work this summer, I took about 5 weaks off of poker. I was also burnt out on it anyway and a little bitter about missing the wsop by one spot.

It's good to be back though.

-Craig

Vroomster
08-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Longest break was 4 days, but then again, only started playing 4 months ago. I'd been getting somewhat cold cards, though the bigger reason was that I was using that as an excuse to get pissed, tilt and play poorly. Took a break, came back, played somewhat ok break even poker for a week, but felt reenergized nonetheless. After that, cards started showing again.

stu-unger
08-14-2005, 06:06 PM
i've never been one to take more than a couple of days off every month or so. but i am thinking about taking about 2 weeks off as i feel a little burnt out and have a long trip to vegas at the beginning of september.

i am wondering if anyone noticed any differences in their play after taking time like this off. i think i will enjoy playing more again, i am just concerned that i may be a little off when i come back to playing. anyone with experience with time off, feel like they play better/worse when they come back?

SoftcoreRevolt
08-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much how I was before I took a 10 day break 2 weeks ago. I looked back at the past year and realized there were maybe 3-4 days I hadn't played any sort of poker at all, all due to being out of town.

TexArcher
08-14-2005, 09:33 PM
I take a couple days in a row here or there, usually when I'm not running well. No longer than that unless I'm out of town...

DemonDeac
08-14-2005, 09:49 PM
im about to take a 3 month break when i go to Rome to study abroad. i dont mind...

DesignProdigy
08-14-2005, 11:04 PM
a little less than two months