PDA

View Full Version : Set of fours hand.

Huh
03-26-2003, 11:23 PM
Lively $2-$4 Party Poker game.

I am in the big blind with
4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Early Caller(EC), Middle Raiser(MR), SB calls, and I call.

Flop is
4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/club.gif

I bet out, EC calls, MR Calls, SB, raises, I call, EC calls, Raiser three-bets, SB, caps it, and everyone calls.

Huh...Not sure what to think now. The check-cap, and check-raise really scare me. I think the check-raiser may have an overpair or a set of jacks..The limp-reraiser is probably on two pair.

Turn 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif
Still feel good about my hand. SB bets out, I raise, and everyone calls.

River 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I can't put anyone on a bare 3, but maybe a pair of nines. Who knows...It gets checked around.

Comments on all streets appreciated. Results to follow.

Huh /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Homer
03-27-2003, 10:38 AM
The only glaring error is the lack of a bet on the river. There is no reason to put anyone on an eight or three based on the action to that point. Some might argue that three-betting the flop is preferable to waiting until the turn, but with the board being rainbow and uncoordinated there is nothing wrong with waiting.

-- Homer

marbles
03-27-2003, 11:15 AM
Looks like you lost to a bigger set (7's in the SB?), and nothing could have prevented that. One last bet on the river wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't call it mandatory.

Nice raise on the turn.

Jim Easton
03-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Not sure what to think now. The check-cap, and check-raise really scare me. I think the check-raiser may have an overpair or a set of jacks.

He could also have a pair of jacks or 2 pair, "defending" his blind with something like J7s. He might even have something like 65, and is building a big pot, since your bet was from his immediate right, he wasn't going to knock anybody out with his checkraise or cap (I know, this is Party 2/4, where they don't understand the different reasons for a checkraise, so discount this thinking if appropriate for that player).

The limp-reraiser is probably on two pair.

The limp-reraiser was the preflop raiser, right? How will a 47J flop give him 2 pair? Is he a reasonable raiser, rather than an any 2 suited cards raiser, there is no way he has 2 pair on this flop. An overpair is more likely. A set of jacks is also possible, but you'll have a better idea of that on the turn. I think the SB is the more likely 2 pair candidate.

Turn 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Still feel good about my hand. SB bets out, I raise, and everyone calls.

With no more raising, you should feel pretty confident with your hand. I don't think you have to worry about a set of jacks. My only concern would be the possibility of the SB having 77 (but I think J7s is more likely).

River 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif can't put anyone on a bare 3, but maybe a pair of nines. Who knows...It gets checked around.

I'm sure you mean a pair of 8's. You can safely rule out the SB from having the straight from his flop play. You can rule out the preflop raiser from having an 8 or a 3 from his flop play. The only player to worry about is the EC. Would the EC play 87s in EP? Would he take all that heat on the flop with middle pair, no kicker? Would he call 2 cold on the turn with middle pair, no kicker, and a gutshot? Ask the same questions for 88. Stranger things have happened, but I would be surprised to see a straight here. You should bet out.

Huh
03-27-2003, 01:28 PM
MR showed down a set of Jacks....I think he missed a bet or three. This was what I originally put the MR on, but I feel I am going to extremes now. I used to always put people on hands that I could beat, now I always put people on hands that can beat me. Ahh well.

SB (Call-Capper) had AJ...Like I said, it was a good game.

-Huh /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Jim Easton
03-27-2003, 03:19 PM
MR showed down a set of Jacks

Wow. His flop play certainly made that possible, but there is no excuse for him not 3-betting the turn or betting the river. He certainly minimized his win and your loss. Nothing you could do on this one.

I used to always put people on hands that I could beat, now I always put people on hands that can beat me.

Don't try to put them on a specific hand at the start. Put them on a range of hands. Then narrow those hands down from there. On this hand, there was an early limper, so you could probably put MR on a big pair or a big ace. Call, reraising the flop really rules out overcards (no draws were possible for an AKs), so you have to go to a big pair - AA - JJ. His failure to 3-bet the turn makes AA-QQ more likely. Since he did it fact have the JJ, note this in his Players Notes.

DaNoob
03-27-2003, 06:25 PM
I used to always put people on hands that I could beat, now I always put people on hands that can beat me. Ahh well.

I do the same thing. Is there some sort of vaccine out there that we can take? I wouldn't even mind nasty side effects...

Louie Landale
03-27-2003, 07:56 PM
After having got in the last bet on the turn, you should have bet it out on the river, since almost DEFINATLY neither of these players has a 3 or an 8 (what hands featuring a 3 or 8 could they limp/check/cap with?), AND you are cinch to get paid off.

No, the pot is NOT "Big enough already".

- Louie