PDA

View Full Version : Is Diet Coke really bad for you?

climber
08-14-2005, 02:52 AM
As opposed to say water?

I mean zero calories, no actual sugars? I guess the aspartame(sp?) just tricks your taste buds into a "sweet" taste but nutiritionally how does it differ from say water?

BTW this is my first OOT post...seems pretty off topic so thought i'd give it a shot.

Nathan183
08-14-2005, 03:01 AM
Anything that tastes that bad can't be good for you.

Diet Coke is nothing but an invention to make fat people feel better about themselves.

For example:

300lb fatty pulls up to McDonalds drive-thru:

"I'd like to order 3 Big Macs, a supersize fry, 2 apple pies, and ummm... a DIET Coke."

Who do they think they're kidding?

Brainwalter
08-14-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Au contraire. It tastes very bad, but plenty of healthful things taste way worse imo.

Nathan183
08-14-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Au contraire. It tastes very bad, but plenty of healthful things taste way worse imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. I just absolutely hate the taste of aspartame or any of those other artifical sweeteners. Despite what they claim, I'm pretty sure that stuff is not much better than sugar for your overall health, and it tastes terrible.

For the record, Coke is probably my favourite type of soda, although I've almost completely stopped drinking it for health reasons.

ChipWrecked
08-14-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

For the record, Coke is probably my favourite type of soda, although I've almost completely stopped drinking it for health reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning you're down to a 270lb. fatty now?

Nathan183
08-14-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning you're down to a 270lb. fatty now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, it's a preventative measure.

ChipWrecked
08-14-2005, 03:35 AM
Word. I was just kiddin' ya. Actually, HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) is just nasty stuff whatever form it comes in.

cnfuzzd
08-14-2005, 06:10 AM
water- been around forever

diet coke-comes from the same marketing genuises that brought us "new coke".

peace

john nickle

youtalkfunny
08-14-2005, 06:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"I'd like to order 3 Big Macs, a supersize fry, 2 apple pies, and ummm... a DIET Coke."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like apple pie, and I only get two QPw/C. Other than that, you've accurately described me.

I don't think I'm "fooling" anybody. I like the taste of Diet Coke better than the taste of Coke. It's tough to get used to the taste of diet sodas--but once you do, you prefer it over the taste of "regular" sodas.

Oh, back to the OP: Yeah, it's bad for you. That caffeine revs up your appetite. The carbonation can't help anything. And the acid is eating you alive.

Of course, when I say "you", I mean "us".

cnfuzzd
08-14-2005, 06:21 AM
most of what you say is false. Check out various places that accurates assess diet sodas vs, say, coffee or sports drinks...

peace

john nickle

youtalkfunny
08-14-2005, 07:07 AM
I wasn't asked to compare it with other drinks. I was asked to compare it with water.

cnfuzzd
08-14-2005, 07:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't asked to compare it with other drinks. I was asked to compare it with water.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is a stupid comparison in the first place.

peace

john nickle

newfant
08-14-2005, 07:12 AM
If you put a bottle cap in a glass of diet Coke overnight it will dissolve. There will be nothing left. True story.

On a related note, I bought a 2L bottle of wine tonight for $5. Instead of first unwrapping the top, I put the cork screw right through the wrapping and screwed right through the cap. $5 wine is not corked, it is capped. I know that now.

cnfuzzd
08-14-2005, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you put a bottle cap in a glass of diet Coke overnight it will dissolve. There will be nothing left. True story.

On a related note, I bought a 2L bottle of wine tonight for $5. Instead of first unwrapping the top, I put the cork screw right through the wrapping and screwed right through the cap. $5 wine is not corked, it is capped. I know that now.

[/ QUOTE ]

lies

check out snopes to find out how wrong you are...

peace

john nickle

Anders_G
08-14-2005, 07:29 AM
aspartam is a toxin and some say it can cause cancer. also, diet coke (just like regular coke) contains phosphorous acid which is not good for you (especially not for your teeth)

GoblinMason (Craig)
08-14-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you put a bottle cap in a glass of diet Coke overnight it will dissolve. There will be nothing left.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm calling shinanigans on this one.

Also, I drink diet coke because I don't want to become a fatty. Since I've been drinking it for so long, I prefer the taste to regular coke.

-Craig

Overdrive
08-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Diet Coke with Splenda is very good. Much, much better than the old aspartame.

Ryno
08-14-2005, 11:48 AM
If it was bad for you, I'd be dead.

MrWookie47
08-14-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
aspartam is a toxin and some say it can cause cancer. also, diet coke (just like regular coke) contains phosphorous acid which is not good for you (especially not for your teeth)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're confusing aspartame w/ saccharine (sp?), aka, NutraSweet. Saccharine was shown probably cause cancer in rats when administered to them in ginormous quantities. Aspartame looks just like a couple of amino acids, essential building blocks for your body. Now, aspartame is indeed toxic for people with a genetic disorder known as PKU. Their body lacks the ability to break down phenylalanine, one of the amino acids in aspartame. Since they can't break it down, it accumulates in their body up to toxic levels.

Matt Williams
08-14-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'm "fooling" anybody. I like the taste of Diet Coke better than the taste of Coke. It's tough to get used to the taste of diet sodas--but once you do, you prefer it over the taste of "regular" sodas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I had to go to a training seminar a few years ago and the only regular soda was cream soda which I hate. So I ended up drinking diet. It took me about 3 days to get used to it, but now it's the only soda I drink, unless I am having a mixed drink.

chrisdhal
08-14-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As noted, BS. See Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw tops actually do a better job of keeping air out than corks. The only reason higher end wines don't have screw tops is because people think only cheap ones have them. There are some, however, that are starting to switch.

Oh, and if DC were bad for me I'm sure I'd be very dead by now. I drink a lot of water (at least 64oz a day), but I also drink a ton of DC. It's like crack and the Splenda version is even better.

mmmmmbrother
08-14-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for not getting back to you with my symptoms.

First of all...I have spinal stenosis. Those symptoms are lower back pain, numbness after standing for
a while and neck pain. Occasional hand tingling.....really no big problem.

But here were my ASPARTME symptoms: ALL MS / ALS symptoms!!!!

1. Muscle twitching@!!
2. Dizziness (not related to sinus pressure)
3. Feeling like I was in a psychedelic scene of a bad horror movie
4. Problems swallowing...very scary!!!!
5. Muscle contractions that made my whole body contract!!!!
6. Hoarse throat
7. Sporadic finger twitching

When my spine doctor tested my strength he said I was "a bull", which was a good sign against
neuro-muscular disease....he asked my about Diet Coke and I had been consuming high amounts.
I stopped and my symptoms disappeared in two weeks. I still want to sue Diet Coke for the scariest
two weeks of my life!

[/ QUOTE ]

oh there's more (http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/adverse.txt)

ChoicestHops
08-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Im not for sure what the deal with aspartame is, but it's in everything from gum to diet drinks. Ive never had any problems with it.

When I was a kid I remember being at church and everyone would drink tea during the Wednesday night deal, and the pink Sweet and Low sugar packet's had the red warning label on the back saying "aspartame is proven to cause cancer in lab rats" or something. I couldn't understand why anyone would drink it with that warning.

ChipWrecked
08-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Yes, if you drank 1500 glasses of tea a day you might have yourself a problem there. That's about what they were giving the rats.

bishopstrt
08-14-2005, 01:18 PM
I can't tell you how many dumb women I know who drink diet coke and reach for those sweet and low sugar packs at restaurants like they can't control their weight any other way. I mean how many calories could be in one teaspoon of real sugar?

trying2learn
08-14-2005, 01:28 PM
i don't know about the bottle cap story, but this IS true -

if you have berilium copper golf clubs (ping made them in the late 80's/early 90's) and you set them in a bucket of diet coke for a couple hours, you will get all of the corrosion off, and clean them up shiney and new without almost any scrubbing whatsoever. it's some powerful stuff.

Cosimo
08-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Note that some people think MSG is evil, yet some studies show it to be safe. It is theorized that mycotoxins from mold in the 'brewing' vats is what induces Chinese Restaurant Syndrome (rather than the MSG itself) and this is something that obviously will not be present in every dose of MSG. Are they right? Who knows? Likewise, some blame Morgan Spurlock's sluggishness during Super Size Me on MSG; others on afflatoxins.

Also, individual responses to these chemicals will vary. Just because you don't have MS doesn't mean that Aspartame will never cause it. Even then, some conditions (like heart disease) are asymptomatic until a catostrophic event occurs.

So where's the truth? There is none. Pick who you want to believe, or go hunt facts for yourself.

KingOtter
08-14-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Diet Coke is nothing but an invention to make fat people feel better about themselves.

For example:

300lb fatty pulls up to McDonalds drive-thru:

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to make those jokes, too. But now I do the same thing. Well, okay, I just say 'I'd like a number one with a Diet Coke' without all the extra pies and stuff.

I was on Atkins for a while so I started drinking Diet Coke (caffeine free at the time). Well, I'm not on Atkins anymore, but I still drink the Diet Cokes, because if I'm going to have a McDonald's meal, the last thing I think I need is 400 more calories from my drink.

There were recent news articles saying that people who drink diet sodas are more likely to have eating problems, or eat poorly. Well duh.... it's because most of them probably went on diets, and fell off the wagon, but never went back to the sugar sodas.

Plus I drink a lot of sodas a day. Up to 5 or 6. Since 22 oz of Coke (about 2 cans) has roughly the same number of calories as a Snickers bar, I think I can do without that pressure on my waistline (roughly equivalent to eating 3 candy bars a day). But I like the caffeine.

KO

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-14-2005, 03:07 PM
I am currently in the early stages of a weight-loss prop bet, but I long ago started drinking Diet Coke and now am so used to it that I find regular Coke nasty. In fact, I don't like the new stuff with Splenda because it tastes "too real."

Up until last month I was one of those Big Mac and Diet Coke people, but as pointed out, since a Big Mac and fries is around 1000 cals, why add 400 for no damn good reason?

Since I drink about a four a day, I would likely weigh MUCH more had I been drinking regular as opposed to diet all these years.

Stuey
08-14-2005, 03:21 PM
My conclusion on artificial sweeteners.

You can find positive and negative arguments showing them to be harmless or deadly. Who should we believe? It is very hard to pick what information to believe as clearly some people can tolerate huge amounts of the stuff with zero problems. A small percentage of people seem to have adverse reactions to them however. Now these people could be blaming their problems on the sweeteners when other factors are at play. But when dealing with my health I simply ask myself do I need to consume this?

I don't need them and there might be a risk so I avoid them just incase. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. If you find it hard not to consume these products you should realize it is probably because they contain something your body has become dependant on which is as bad as them being harmful imo.

Edit to add: People saying they get used to the taste of diet coke and then prefer it to everything else should think about why. Drink water you won't like it at first but maybe if you stick with it you will prefer it to everything else worth a try works for me.

Jeffage
08-14-2005, 03:58 PM
One sugar packet has 30 calories.

Jeff

Blarg
08-14-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't tell you how many dumb women I know who drink diet coke and reach for those sweet and low sugar packs at restaurants like they can't control their weight any other way. I mean how many calories could be in one teaspoon of real sugar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of us get that sugar many times per day. In bread, salad dressings, ketchup, tomato sauce, prepared foods, etc. We don't need any more.

All it takes is more calories than your body needs to start storing it as fat. It doesn't have to be a lot, and it depends on what you're already eating and your personal metabolism. For some people, a single cookie a day may be enough to put on a lot of weight over the years.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
08-14-2005, 04:20 PM
yes it is bad for you. aspartame has been found to leave deposits of formaldahyde (sp?) in your body. It is also belived to help cause cancer.