PDA

View Full Version : Question about Small Stakes Holdem

08-14-2005, 02:18 AM
I have read both of these books, read championship holdem first, and I was doing pretty decent at small stakes limit online.

I picked up small stakes holdem and really enjoyed it. I thought the post flop play was very useful. I started using the preflop play as recommended by Sklansky.

I have had some wild swings in my bankroll using his preflop play (3-5 players to flop). It is listed on page 80-81. I was playing tighter than this before preflop and had much more success.

What do you guys think of his suggestions for preflop play?

08-14-2005, 04:11 AM
The chart is very good, but consider trying to learn WHY you play certain hands in a certain position rather than just looking at the chart. For example in late position you are dealt 54s, which according to the chart is playable in this position. Well what if it is folded around to you, or even just 1 caller in front. Are you still going to play this hand? These recommendations are given with the notion that there will be many limpers in every pot. But you should learn to adjust when a hand doesn't go that way. Maybe you do, I don't know. But ever since I have started to understand WHY I am playing certain hands, not only do I notice myself doing better, I feel more confidence in the hands that I am playing. That's my opinion /images/graemlins/grin.gif Good Luck /images/graemlins/smile.gif

playersare
08-14-2005, 11:14 AM
SSH was written primarily for B&M games, where play is terrible both preflop and postflop. a "tight" game as illustrated on pages 80-81 is probably a bunch of senior citizen locals who play like rocks.

online low limit is slightly better in player quality. you might consider using a chart like the one in Matthew Hilger "Internet Texas Hold Em" which is tighter in early and middle position than SSH, but not as passive as Championship Hold Em. as much as I like reading SSH, I admit that I haven't utilized some of the most aggressive plays suggested in there (yet).

08-14-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SSH was written primarily for B&M games, where play is terrible both preflop and postflop. a "tight" game as illustrated on pages 80-81 is probably a bunch of senior citizen locals who play like rocks.

online low limit is slightly better in player quality. you might consider using a chart like the one in Matthew Hilger "Internet Texas Hold Em" which is tighter in early and middle position than SSH, but not as passive as Championship Hold Em. as much as I like reading SSH, I admit that I haven't utilized some of the most aggressive plays suggested in there (yet).

[/ QUOTE ]

How does Hilger recommend playing early position? I agree that TJ is too tight in EP.