PDA

View Full Version : What Is Courage?

theBruiser500
08-14-2005, 01:23 AM
I have a couple threads going already in Politics and OOT about courage, and I brought this specific topic (what is courage?) up in OOT but I don't think they are up to it. What do you guys think courage is? I would say it's something you find tough or scary to do. Dictionary.com's definition:

The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and resolution; bravery.

this to me almost suggests that a person cannot do something that is really hard and scary for him to do. A specicial mood needs to come over him somehow that allows him to let go of bad emotions and deal with the problem at hand. This definition even seems a little demeaning because it's like you can't deal with a problem in your natural state, some weird mood needs to come over you temporarily "courage" where you don't find the problem to be a problem.

My friend suggested the definition, "something that other people find hard and scary to do" which really seems far off the mark to me. Like a rock climber say, I would say it doesn't take a rock climber courage to do what he does on a normal basis just because I find it scary.

Thoughts?

sexdrugsmoney
08-14-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I brought this specific topic (what is courage?) up in OOT but I don't think they are up to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Don't cast your pearls before swine" - Jesus.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

08-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Courage is doing what you should do, in spite of the risk.

BluffTHIS!
08-14-2005, 02:00 AM
Courage is a quality that allows one to do what he believes to be right or necessary regardless of the difficulties, danger or negative reaction of others. It's opposite is fear, laziness and too high a regard for the opinion of others.

And FWIW IMO Bruiser, you have shown a lot of courage that past 3 years or so in posting hands you played that you knew were played wrong, so as to benefit from the advice of better players. Many posters here wouldn't do that for fear of looking stupid.

theBruiser500
08-14-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not a bad definition, one_liner

08-14-2005, 02:44 AM
courage is not "lack of fear" in a difficult or dangerous situation. it is in fact the opposite. courage is being able to act in spite of fear.

08-14-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

should, shouldn't. arbitrary.

chezlaw
08-14-2005, 04:04 AM
Courage is doing what you believe to be right when you are scared to do it.

chez

08-14-2005, 01:43 PM
In my opinion, courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death.

"The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage" Thucydides

Jim T
08-14-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Does there have to be, for lack of a better word, a "noble" purpose behind the action for it to be courageous? Or could someone who's afraid of heights demonstrate courage by trying skydiving, for example?

chezlaw
08-14-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Does there have to be, for lack of a better word, a "noble" purpose behind the action for it to be courageous? Or could someone who's afraid of heights demonstrate courage by trying skydiving, for example?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has to be something that you believe needs to be done from a moral point of view. It doesn't matter if you're wrong, couragous acts can be very foolish.

Its hard to see how skydiving can be considered the right thing to do, so that just foolish.

chez

scalf
08-14-2005, 08:29 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif courage is: resistance to extinction...; at least from a behaviorial viewpoint..

gl

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif