PDA

View Full Version : 5 card draw hand

Moneyline
08-14-2005, 01:11 AM
3/6 online draw high My image is very aggressive, SB is loose but not horrible, BB is LAG, plays any draw and frequently bluffs after the draw

Folded to me on button, I raise Ts 9c 8s 7s 9h, SB 3 bets, BB calls, I call.

SB draws 3, BB draws 1, I discard the 9h

I receive the Ks

SB checks, BB bets, I fold

My play after the draw is fairly obvious, but I’m not sure if I played the other aspects of the hand correctly. Comments?

Mr. Peanut
08-14-2005, 01:37 AM
I never play draw, but I was just perusing this forum a decided to give this a crack.

This line might be overly tricky and would only work if you haven't made moves like this before. Cap it before the draw, you have position and can see how many cards each of them is drawing.

After the SB 3-bet and drew three, his most likely holding should be a pair of aces or possibly kings. The BB cold-call 1 card draw is probably a flush draw or a small two-pair (if he is LAG he would be more likely to cap with trips rather than smoothcall and then draw 1, unless he is also very tricky). This will sound nuts, but when it gets to you, rap pat. This will stop a bluff from the BB if he misses and the SB will probably fold unless he makes 2-pair or better. If either player bets into you after you rap pat, you obviously fold, but if they both check you bet.

This play is very dependent on how much the other players need to call and how suspicious they would be of your play. If you don't think that this would work, then I guess you played it fine, but this is always something to consider.

Another possible play here would be to bluff-raise the BB's post draw bet if you think that he bluffs too often after missing. The raise would likely knock out the SB unless he made a strong hand, and could get you the pot if the BB was in fact bluffing.

Moneyline
08-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Your read on SB was right on target... but I think aces are what most thinking players would put him on after he draws 3. Considering my image and my general lack of balls I'm not sure if I like capping and standing pat... especially because I had seen the SB flat call my open raises from the button with KKxxx and QQxxx before (which I should have included in my original post), so I have to figure he has at least a pretty good hand before the draw.

You're idea about bluff raising the LAG after the draw is intriguing, especially given the size of the pot. Still not sure if I should have pulled the trigger though...

EDIT: thanks for the post... it's giving me something to think about

DOMIT
08-18-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your read on SB was right on target... but I think aces are what most thinking players would put him on after he draws 3. Considering my image and my general lack of balls I'm not sure if I like capping and standing pat...

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think this ("my general lack of balls") to be all the more reason that I LIKE standing pat and betting/raising post. A weak/tight player, that I would characterize as someone with a "lack of balls", I'd be much more inclined to believe really had a pat hand if he was willing to cap pre and bet/raise post.

spaminator101
08-18-2005, 09:08 PM
i dont raise with just the straight
i dont know maybe its just me but it just seem like a bad idea

Tilt
08-18-2005, 09:43 PM
I think you played it fine. I'd raise in that situation most times.

I would not stand pat here. That ruse works only once in a while after you have shown yourself to be a rock. And if you had a stand pat hand you would have had to cap it predraw for the ruse to work.