PDA

View Full Version : AA in HU action. What do you do and why?

droolie
08-14-2005, 12:49 AM
Party $2/$4

I have not seen villian show down a bluff in almost 100 hands. I've been raising a lot preflop and suspect the table is a bit sick of it as the blinds are being defended more liberaly. If anybody is paying attention they know I'm capable of folding when I raise pf and miss the flop.

Droolie has A/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP

Preflop
3 folds, droolie raises, the blinds both call

Flop (6SB)
J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif
The blinds check and droolie bets, SB folds, BB raises, droolie reraises, BB calls

Despite this terrible board at this point I think I'm probably still ahead. BB's check-raise could easily be a single pair, draw or bluff but does a bluff call my 3-bet here?

Turn (6BB)
2/images/graemlins/spade.gif
BB bets, droolie ??

The infernal donkbet. I have a very hard time understanding what this means after the flop action.

What is your plan for the rest of the hand? Anybody fold this? If not hat river cards induce you to fold if any. Anybody raise the donk bet? Most importantly why do you do what you do here. Remememebr villian is unremarkeable so this would be your default line.

I'll tell you what I did later.

bozlax
08-14-2005, 12:56 AM
I don't see giving Villan credit for QJ, here. I'd say more likely Ax/images/graemlins/spade.gif or perhaps AQ/KQ? Call the turn and raise the river.

bozlax
08-14-2005, 12:58 AM
Sorry, left out the why. You're ahead, and you're likely to still be ahead on the river. This gets you one more BB, and you're ahead of anything but a river 3-bet (if that happens, I probably call and eviscerate the cat).

Paxosmotic
08-14-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see giving Villan credit for QJ, here. I'd say more likely Ax/images/graemlins/spade.gif or perhaps AQ/KQ? Call the turn and raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ax/images/graemlins/spade.gif raises this flop approximately never, but AQ/KQ would seem to fit right into line with villain's play. It's a hand that can easily call a raise from the big blind while not quite being strong enough to raise with. A flopped straight would never be so bold as to bet on this turn. Why bet when you can check and kill all your action with a raise? I think we're up against an AQ, and like bozlax said, we can raise a non-straight card river for value.

cold_cash
08-14-2005, 01:26 AM
I'd call down. I think there are too many possibilites to fold or raise anywhere.

I really don't want to be 3-bet by two-pair on the turn.

I think raising the river and calling a 3-bet would be pretty much the worst line you could take there.

bozlax
08-14-2005, 01:28 AM
Ooh, ooh, Mistah Kottah! What about K9/images/graemlins/spade.gif?

bozlax
08-14-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think raising the river and calling a 3-bet would be pretty much the worst line you could take there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just calling down, or do you raise/fold the river?

Paxosmotic
08-14-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ooh, ooh, Mistah Kottah! What about K9/images/graemlins/spade.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]
If droolie's read about BB playing sheriff to stop the big bad blind stealer is right, then that would be a perfect hand. From Villain's perspective he sees the blind stealer making a continuation bet on the flop, but we've got bottom pair and a backdoor so we'll raise him, blind stealer 3-bets so okay we're probably behind, call, see the turn, picked up our flush draw and bet out to keep him guessing. I think a hand like that is pretty reasonable here. Good play, Epstein.

Aaron W.
08-14-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have not seen villian show down a bluff in almost 100 hands. I've been raising a lot preflop and suspect the table is a bit sick of it as the blinds are being defended more liberaly. If anybody is paying attention they know I'm capable of folding when I raise pf and miss the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just calling down. A two pair hand really concerns me at the donkbet. It looks like he wants to see a non-ten and non-king (and to a lesser extent a non-eight) before continuing his aggression. He *might* have flopped the straight and is just being a total donk ("If I cap, he might slow down."). There is one hand that could do this that you beat: QT. He wants to see a "good" card (no ace, no ten) on the turn before he fires some more.

I don't give credit for a player adjusting to aggressive defense until he shows me something that he defended aggressively. Most players adjust to playing looser and more passive (lots of calling down) if they think you're trying to run them over. They aren't willing to spend extra to push back at you (their loss). In fact, my reading of "defended more liberally" simply means they're just calling more often instead of folding or 3-betting.

droolie
08-14-2005, 01:50 AM
I called the turn donkbet. I will tell you why later.

No one mentioned any cards that would make them consider folding but what about this one???

River (8BB)
J/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets, droolie??

Now what?? I certainly couldn't have thought of a worse card at that point.

MrWookie47
08-14-2005, 01:53 AM
de poenis inferni

I either call down, or cap ever y streey. t . I'm too ducking frunk t od give you a good anwerser. I'm leaning wtwowardsssssss capping every street.

Der wookie.

bozlax
08-14-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
de poenis inferni

[/ QUOTE ]

Your penis is on fire? Huh? What does that have to do with the hand (unless the hand is on fire, too)?

Oh, and go put it out.

cold_cash
08-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Call again.

You might have just pulled ahead of Q9, and he'll likely bet again with those semi-bluffing 'pair w/ a draw' hands.

I mean, I'm not pumped about your chances, but I don't see any way you can fold here getting 9:1.

BatsShadow
08-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Grunch:

I think calling is at least neutral EV. I highly doubt you are drawing dead. If he has the suspected 2 pair, then you are almost certainly going to get a 2 bets out of him on the river giving you an implied 9 to 1. If he has QJ then you are going to win around 20% of the time.

If villain thinks you are stealing, coud he play this way with just top pair? The more I think about this, the more I feel like you should just call down.

MrWookie47
08-14-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
de poenis inferni

[/ QUOTE ]

Your penis is on fire? Huh? What does that have to do with the hand (unless the hand is on fire, too)?

Oh, and go put it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

De poenis inferni, IIRC, means "the infernal pain". There shas been no fire in my penis for far too long.

bottomset
08-14-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
de poenis inferni

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and go put it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

De poenis inferni, IIRC, means "the infernal pain". There shas been no fire in my penis for far too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

please keep posting tonight, its good stuff

droolie
08-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Don't read this if you haven't thought about the hand....I really want "grunched" replies to help get to the bottom of the turn donkbet thought process. I'm posting this now because I'm going to bed. If you want to reply to this put it in white...

<font color="white">I called. Villian had 83o! Bupkiss.

When villian called my flop 3-bet I ruled out a bluff.

The turn donkbet felt like two pair to me but I also didn't rule out him donking when he caught a flush draw with one pair. I doubted he was just betting a draw without anything due to the chances of me raising him again. At the time I thought calling down was the best option as I still felt reasonably good about my chances of being ahead and even if I was behind I was pretty sure I was drawing live. The turn donk bet was not a bluff to me. A bluff seemed moronic with that board so likely to have hit me that I practically disregarded it. Who bluff c/r's the flop and then calls the 3-bet ony to donk the turn? I'd never seen it before. You see something new everyday I guess.

The river card had me thinking I either counterfitted his two pair or either he boated up or drew out on with a flush or trip J's. I didn't think my chances of being called by a hand I beat was more than 55% so I just called. I think raising the river would be a pretty big error here.

After the hand was over I felt very fishy. I felt like I should have folded or raised him on the turn or river but the more I think about it the more I like what I did. I had no idea I was up against someone so tricky/ illogical.

The reason I posted this hand was not only becuase I want to understand donk betting better but I also wanted to show you guys some proof that unremarkeable players do indeed take shots from time to time when you're running the table over with lots of pf raises. I was very tempted to fold the river but HU you just never know...I doubt I'll find many places to fold AA HU in limit ever again. </font>

MrWookie47
08-14-2005, 02:35 AM
*83o!{P? That sorry drunk fukc. Man, keep raising his ass. He's patehetic.

cold_cash
08-14-2005, 03:43 AM
You shouldn't have felt fishy.

Look at it this way: How would you have played this differently if his cards were face up?

cold_cash
08-14-2005, 03:46 AM
Dude, in white!

WHITE!

Drunkard.

Nick C
08-14-2005, 07:40 AM
You played it fine, in my opinion.

<font color="white">Party 2/4 can be crazy sometimes, but you're not going to see 83o here very often. Really.

(And Villain was, by the way, semi-bluffing the bottom end of a gutshot on the flop and turn, though somehow I doubt he was thinking of it quite that way.)

Edit: I guess this should be in white, and I'd try to figure out how to change it, but I see I wasn't the first who didn't follow your instructions.

Edit 2: Oh, never mind. Switching to white is easy enough, it appears.</font>