PDA

View Full Version : 1TT other than NLHE?!

lastchance
08-13-2005, 10:20 PM
There is one edge to playing these:
1) No one knows how to play them.

This is a very exploitable edge. So, how should we be playing these shortstack Omaha/Stud games, which could be quite different than HE? You will still have to abuse blind-stealing and cont-betting, I think, but we all know that.

Which games are the most profitable and run the most?

And how do we adapt to take advantage of this?

Jdogg
08-13-2005, 10:38 PM
I find that stud would be less profitable since there are only 8 players so if you place first you only get 4 times the buy in. On the other hand I have been playing the 7 card stud ring games when I am sick of sng's, and those are fun.

Justin

Taraz
08-13-2005, 10:51 PM
I've been messing around in other SNGs recently and I've found that the Omaha Hi/Lo tourneys are incredibly soft. A major, major problem is that almost no non-NLHE SNGs run at higher levels and there are only one or two running at any given time at the lower levels. So you can't multitable and you're stuck playing 11s and 22s. It's fun to play them once and a while to mess around, but there aren't enough games to make it more profitable than HE.

Just my 2 cents . . .

08-14-2005, 05:47 AM
I agree that the omaha hi/lo tournaments are VERY soft. And just a hint...you wont be stealing ANYTHING in that game. 8 players/flop is about average from the 20 or so that I've played.

Personally, Ive wondered about the PLHE SNGs. Seems as though almost every solid player is playing the NL, who does that leave for the PL? I've never played any if for only the sake that I dont want another line in my PT database, but I would be curious to hear someones PLHE SNG adventures.

Xhad
08-14-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find that stud would be less profitable since there are only 8 players so if you place first you only get 4 times the buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that was valid rationale by itself, we should all stop playing SNGs because MTT prize pools are larger due to more opponents.

I wish I kept better records but the stud SNGs were cake when I was at a small bankroll (meaning <100 in my online account). I haven't played the 30+, but at party 10+1's basically take advantage of the fact that at least half the table will be loose and complete morons (on one occasion I bet with two pair ON BOARD because I noticed my heads-up opponent had yet to fold on the river ... he called and lost), then ideally you end up four or five-handed with weak tights right when ante stealing becomes profitable. Usually by the time it gets heads up you can just bluff your way into a giant stack, then get all in, then if you lose just repeat until you finally bust him.