PDA

View Full Version : set of 6s gets min-raised...

stu-unger
08-13-2005, 09:48 PM
this is my 6th hand on the table so i have very little read and no notes on any one at the table.

6-max/.50bb
hero (49.25)-MP
villain (51)-SB

Hero is dealt 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Pre-flop: 1 fold, Hero raises to 1.75, 2 folds, SB calls, 1 fold.

Flop (4.25): Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB checks, Hero bets 3, SB raises to 6....

what is your line from here?

I 3-bet it to 20 and he folded. im not sure this is bad, but after thinking about it i think i should have smooth called.

DrPublo
08-13-2005, 09:53 PM
When you have a set and get raised, it's time to start evaluating your opponent's hand range. Do you think he's likely to check-raise on some sort of a draw? If the answer is no, then you very likely have him drawing to runner-runner. Thus no reason to blow him out of the water yet. You have the best hand and position, so there's plenty of time to make your money. Call and see what he does on the turn. If he bets big just call and push the river. Otherwise try to build a pot to stack him.

The Doc

stu-unger
08-13-2005, 10:02 PM
i agree with u Dr. after the hand i really couldn't think of a hand except 22/QQ that calls the 3-bet realistically. and the only hand i can see him donk bet me with that i have any fear of is a flush draw and guys in this game aren't doing a lot of this.

so after smooth calling the flop what do we do if a club falls on the turn and he checks to us? if a club falls and he pots it? if a brick comes and he checks to us? do we get aggro it another Q falls, because we think he will give us his stack then?

08-13-2005, 10:04 PM
I was originally going to say I agreed with your line of raising to 20 if you think he's on a draw... But I didn't notice the checkraise at first glance. I like the line he suggested - wait for the turn. But if is C/R with a draw it's weird and you'll get stacked if he hits.

DrPublo
08-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Hmmmmmm, ok let's go through the list of possibilities assuming you bet 3, he raises to 6 and you call. $15 in the pot.

1. Brick hits, he bets.
Depends on stack sizes. If shallow, just get it in now. If deeper I might put in a small raise to build a big pot to get in on river.

2. Brick hits, he checks.
Bet 1/2 pot or so.

3. Club hits, he bets.
No way he has clubs. Push and make him call with a lone high club.

4. Club hits, he checks.
Bet 1/2 pot or so and hope he has a medium high club and will call looking for a 4 card flush.

I think that covers the gamut. Of course on very deep stacks you may have to worry about what do you if you get check-raised again on the turn but for the most part the opponent's flop action really suggests he has some sort of medium-high queen.

The Doc

08-13-2005, 10:35 PM
He's gotta have AQ, KQ, JQ, QT. Smooth call.

yvesaint
08-14-2005, 12:08 AM
bwahahha mini-raise him right back