PDA

View Full Version : When you got it...arrived as a GOOD PLAYER

08-13-2005, 07:19 PM
My overall poker goal is to be...A GOOD PLAYER...do you remember when that happened to you? And how do you define a 'good player' and what is 'solid poker'..exactly?

smartalecc5
08-13-2005, 07:36 PM
I never have played every hand perfectly in a session and I always see new ways to see stuff. Thats why I love poker- you can have the same cards 5 times with the same flop and play the hands multiple ways. I am not great- I am winning- but thats it.

SomethingClever
08-13-2005, 09:35 PM
I was a good player for my first 120,000 hands. The last 50k I am teh suck.

It can go both ways.

helpmeout
08-14-2005, 12:56 AM
When you think you are a good player you will have a downswing.

08-14-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When you think you are a good player you will have a downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely true. I think I'm a good player. Hell, I KNOW I'm a good player. But I also KNOW that there are plenty of other good players and a decent amount of great players that I could run into. I think confidence in you game is important if you want to do well. But you also must not let that confidence become arrogance. It's a fine balance between confidence and humility that's needed play successfully.

jman220
08-14-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hell, I KNOW I'm a good player.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

Just curious.

How?

Turkish
08-14-2005, 02:10 AM
Everytime I play I unintentionally remind myself of why I will not call myself a good player for quite some time, if ever.

TimWillTell
08-14-2005, 02:33 AM
After 4 months of brick&morter i got the hang of it, getting reads on players and so on and making good money.
Strangly enough, online took me 9 months before i could make some good money.

08-14-2005, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

Just curious.

How?

[/ QUOTE ]

I make money consistently. I'm not trying to boast about how good I am. In fact I'm nowhere near as good as many out there. But I win, and I win consistently. And using that as a measurement of poker proficiency, I'd say I'm a good player.

Matt Williams
08-14-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

Just curious.

How?

[/ QUOTE ]

I make money consistently. I'm not trying to boast about how good I am. In fact I'm nowhere near as good as many out there. But I win, and I win consistently. And using that as a measurement of poker proficiency, I'd say I'm a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but what's consistensty? Playing $1/$2 hold-em for 3 months is not the same as playing $40/$80 for 10 years. I think the mark of a good poker player is how you deal with your losses and downswings, not when you are winning.

08-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks for your posts. Generally speaking, I'm thinking I will become a good player when I make the right decision most of the time...whether it is pre-flop or post flop...I tend to think of those decisions related to a good grasp of fundamental concepts of pot equity, the gap concept, strategy, reading people, etc...

Alex/Mugaaz
08-14-2005, 05:24 PM
I think the first mark of a good player is knowing almost exactly how much worse, and how much better others players are then themselves. As well as exactly in what way they are better than the oppositin, and how they are getting the money. And I mean very specifically, not "post-flop".

jcmack13
08-16-2005, 02:42 AM
When I could stop playing a session even when I was winning because I recognized that I was not playing well, I realized my game had gone through a fundamental shift. I think recognizing the difference between winning and losing as different from playing well and poorly is absolutely necessary for a good player.

08-16-2005, 05:58 AM
You said that you win all the time but how? Because i seem to be losing lot of money. Can you tell me anything that will improve my skill?

Tuben
08-16-2005, 07:47 AM
I did that also but know i cant play. I make evry mistake that i did when i started to play.

Almost. It is crul what i do to myself.
I cant ewen beat 0,05/0,10 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I cant it is my fault that i cant do it, I guess it is somthing wrong whit my brain or somthing.