PDA

View Full Version : Playing AKo v Limp-Raiser

08-13-2005, 05:21 PM
I had very little information on the limp raiser here. He just joined the table recently and only played 2/10 hands with no PF raises. That doesn't tell me anything except he isn't ridiculously loose.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (17 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 26 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
CO has Jd Jc (four of a kind, jacks).
Button has 9s 9d (two pair, jacks and nines).
Hero has Ad Kc (straight, ace high).
Outcome: CO wins 26 BB. </font>

PF: After I raised the AKo and got re-raised by a limper I figured he either had AA or KK, or just thought making a bigger pot would be fun(!!!).

Flop: I was given 13:1 odds to hit my gutshot.

Turn: Magic! There's my gutshot! I check to the raiser thinking my hand is surely best. Right after I check-raised I regretted it. QJ, JT, TT, JJ, and QQ all have me drawing dead. What should I have done on the turn?

River: Like I'm going to fold the nut straight in a pot this large. As you can see, the button was the stupidest maniac ever. There really wasn't any conceivable hand that would stay this far and make me a winner. The best I could hope for was a split because that damn river made my A worthless. Maybe I should have just folded the river... but with a pot this large?

I think I played the turn poorly. And I probably should have folded the river since the best I could hope for was a split (KK or another AK) and I was more than likely beat (AJ, QJ, JT, AA, QQ, JJ, TT).

sirana
08-13-2005, 05:34 PM
I would play it the same. since button 3bet prepflop, his flop and turn bet doesn't mean too much by itself. after the turn-3bet I just call down.
river sucks, but the pot is too big to let go.

edit: and AQ doesn't has you beat ;-)

08-13-2005, 05:37 PM
2/10 hands with no raises? First im reraise preflop to isolate, hes rerasing a PP, AK, or AQ and your beating most of these hands with your AK. When the flop action starts hes very aggressive and that isnt like him, even with the turn str8 which seems obvious u have based on ur raise and bets, he isnt slowing down. I think your up against at least a boat here. I would have put in the str8 reraise but when he 3 bets in thinking boat, hes spewing and a player as described doesnt do this much without a great hand. call 3 bet turn, call river and expect to be beat.
cdl

08-13-2005, 05:47 PM
For clarification... no pre-flop raises. He had a moderate aggression at the time (around 0.6), but once again, extremely small sample size (he only played 2 out of 10 hands dealt to him).

sirana
08-13-2005, 05:48 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
hes rerasing a PP, AK, or AQ and your beating most of these hands with your AK. When the flop action starts hes very aggressive and that isnt like him

[/ QUOTE ]

please tell me, you're being ironic. with that "sample size" you can say absolutely nothing about his raising standard or what is "like him" or "unlike him".

furthermore there are a lot of 0.5/1, player who don't even see much less take into account the straight on turn. Every single J (in this case AJ or KJ(if he's aggressive preflop)) would 3-bet the turn, so you definitly can't count that off.

08-13-2005, 05:54 PM
In retrospect, I see the river this way. With two players betting and raising, I'd estimate I split 5% of the time, win 1% of the time and lose 94% of the time.

I have to win 10:1 times to make this a good play. I am definitely not going to win it even 10% of the time. At best, I split it... and that's still not even 10% of the time!