PDA

View Full Version : One example of a check/call, donk bet line {donk/call, donk even!]

Schneids
08-13-2005, 04:49 PM
I've received a lot of requests for a long time to post some examples of when I think it's appropriate, and finally did it one time last night AND remembered to keep track of it to post. There are a lot of times I do it on varying board types, so, I'll just type out the hand and as I go, bullet the positives and add a few points about why I think on this board it's a better line than some of the other options.

Online 6-handed $100/200, folded to Stoxtrader on the button and he raises. I call in the BB with Th8h.

Flop 6c 6s Td

I check and call.

- The board is pretty bland, but does contain a few draws. Stox knows I could play 98/87/97 this way. He also knows I could check/call with king high or ace high thinking it's the best hand. The board is bland enough though where I think a lot of the value of checkraising is lost, since he is going to think my checkraise is often a pure bluff or a very good hand [which it is] (where as I prefer checkraising on the flop when the opponent is more likely to believe I am semibluffing when I in fact have a made hand). Of course he still includes a ten or trips on the possible hand range, as well as baby pairs or a slowplayed biggie.
- Given what he thinks of my likely hand range, and what I know of his hand range on the button (tighter than me but still a lot of aces, kings queens and jacks, and a lot of suited connectors/one gappers), I think there's a lot of hands where he just folds right away, and a lot of hands where he'll 3 bet me both with the worst hand, or the best.
- This type of board I'd rather get to the river for a maximum of 2.5BBs than 3BBs. For those who haven't played with Stox, at least against me, he plays pretty passively. I feel like the more bets we both put in on this board, the more likely it is I'm beat. If your opponent doesn't fit this idea, it's usually better to checkraise because you'd like to invite some turn bluff raises on the board (after you checkraise the flop and he calls). But basically, I know I'm going to go to showdown and I know I'd like to control the amount of money I'm putting into the pot.
- The check/call, bet line on a paired board often looks like a bluff, so you still get a lot of loose call downs and raises anyway. It looks like I'm playing king high like this and making a value-bluff (trying to charge him if he is behind to king high which is prolly 50% given this flop but also trying to fold hands that chop with me).

Ok, now the turn: 6h.

- It just happened to work out this way, but that card rocks to follow through with the check/call bet. Everything is out on the board, so, he's both less likely to have it and to believe I have it.

I bet, he raises, I call.

- I think Stox can find some 55 or 77 folds on this board if he holds that. Maybe not always, but sometimes. I don't want him folding those, so I don't three bet.
- It's very possible we're chopping anyway, and he's not folding a ten obviously if I 3 bet, so there's no point to do it when it's very likely he folds, or 4-bets quads (yet no way on the planet I fold to a 4-bet though I hate calling).

River 4. I bet again.

- Pretty well explained on the turn. Against more aggressive players I check to try to induce a bluff.
- Basically, trying to ensure I am putting in 3-4BBs on this board between the turn and river, plus I think this turn/river line is the best and only way I can get 3BBs out of Stox when he has a smaller pocket pair or even ace high. I don't think he's often raising the turn with total fluff.

Anyway, Stox folded to the river bet then got on IM later and asked me about the hand and if I had a pair. Guess he had total fluff or made a good ace high laydown (if he had ace high and I c/r the flop, I speculate it goes I c/r he calls, I bet turn he calls, I bet riv he folds and I still get less BBs out of his ace high than by playing it this more suspicious way).

Basically, in summary:
- It's good to do on dryish (but not draw-free) boards.
- It's good when I know I'm going to showdown no matter what other cards come, but it's against an opponent who doesn't play me aggressively, as the line offers the lowest max amt of bets I'm going to put in while denying any free cards (the key point about why it's better than check/call, check...since remembering opponent is "passive," so, he's more likely to check behind on the turn with his 6-10 outer).
- It's still suspicious enough to often get curiosity calls or even better a few bluff raises on the turn.
- If they fold to your turn bet they were probably going to fold to the flop checkraise/turn bet anyway.
- The two lines generally only produce different results by 1SB, given you're going to go to showdown no matter what, so it's best against opponents you're more concerned about saving bets vs than earning bets from (ie passiveish players who still bluff with about the right frequency and play ok on up to awesome).

Comments/rebuttals appreciated. There are other times I think check/call, bet is good and hopefully they'll come up soon and I remember to post another, but if not, I hope this example helps illustrate some of the considerations.

bottomset
08-13-2005, 05:13 PM
nice post

Jeff W
08-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Would you play draws, Ace high, King high this way?

Schneids
08-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Against an opponent like Stox (but maybe not him now /images/graemlins/grin.gif) I would probably play ace high this way. If I have some history of donk betting them a lot with the goods I might play king high as well. Most of it depends on history though and knowing they have some type of clue about what my donk betting might mean.

The donk bet bluff is another play I'm working on implementing at the right moments but I need strong history for it to have any chance of success since I've found it usually gets me lots of loose call downs.

dave44
08-13-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Against an opponent like Stox (but maybe not him now /images/graemlins/grin.gif) I would probably play ace high this way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Would this be to keep him from checking behind with hands you're ahead of? Are you then folding to his turn raise?

smartalecc5
08-13-2005, 05:45 PM
good post and liked the easy to read analysis.

JoshuaD
08-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the post Schneids. Alot of your reasoning has to do with how you and your opponent know each other. Can you think of a time you'd wanna do this in a low or mid limit situation?

Schneids
08-13-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the post Schneids. Alot of your reasoning has to do with how you and your opponent know each other. Can you think of a time you'd wanna do this in a low or mid limit situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's pretty applicable against any type of player who is on the more passive side but solid postflop play (or even tight passive works too though then you change some of the turns from bet/calls to bet/folds (not in this particular hand but in some other situations)). Against a total moron I'd never do it and against a guy who I'm not afraid of putting a bet or two more in verse I wouldn't do it either since then I'm probably leaving money on the table.

cartman
08-14-2005, 01:13 AM
I often take a related line when I have raised preflop and find myself heads up out of position with a flopped monster against an aggressive but not psychotic opponent. When my opponent raises my autobet on the flop, instead of 3-betting and leading the turn, I just call his flop raise and lead into him on the turn. Against such an opponent I feel like I get raised again on the turn allowing me to 3-bet far more often than I would had I three-bet the flop and led the turn. I started using this line in part because of your comment below regarding the stop and go:

[ QUOTE ]
I primarly stop and go HU when I'm going to go to showdown. I usually do this when I think my opponent is starting to get more aggressive and is starting to push it too far. Basically, I'm trying to trap them in their own aggression. This works best on low card flops after they raised PF in position and say the flop was either of check/call or bet-raise-call. I am looking to deny free rivers to overcards and trying to get them to put 2BBs in on the turn when if they could see my cards they'd probably fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I sometimes feel like 3-betting the flop would be better though because I am guaranteed that he will call my 3-bet and at least call a turn bet and sometimes raise. So I am sacrificing a sure small bet on the flop to try to get another big bet on the turn. I read another quote of yours just last night which lends support to this approach instead:

[ QUOTE ]
So instead, go for the greater value route with your strong hands, which would be giving a lot of flop action (since they will still often try to make a move on you on the turn).

[/ QUOTE ]

It came from this (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=headsup&Number=1664655&For um=f8&Words=%2Bvalue&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=16 40891&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=4677&daterang e=1&newerval=7&newertype=m&olderval=6&oldertype=m& bodyprev=#Post1664655) thread which really surprised me. In it gonores made the comment that we should "just about always" be either 3-betting the flop or raising the turn when we have raised preflop and gotten checkraised heads up by a frequent checkraiser on a low board. He did stipulate that the opponent was capable of folding to the turn raise, which is a foreign concept to me as I very rarely find an opponent who is capable of folding here. His recommendation seems like sheer suicide to me and I almost made a post about it today.

Two questions:

<font color="blue">
1)In my example do you think just 3-betting the flop and leading the turn is superior to the stop and go?

2)What do you think about gonores' assessment of the semibluff raising situation?</font>

Comments from anyone are appreciated.

Thanks,
Cartman

Jeff W
08-14-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Against an opponent like Stox (but maybe not him now /images/graemlins/grin.gif) I would probably play ace high this way. If I have some history of donk betting them a lot with the goods I might play king high as well. Most of it depends on history though and knowing they have some type of clue about what my donk betting might mean.

The donk bet bluff is another play I'm working on implementing at the right moments but I need strong history for it to have any chance of success since I've found it usually gets me lots of loose call downs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes sense. My main problem with the check call, donkbet line is that it is hard to incorporate into my overall game(especially against an opponent like stox).

If I don't play bluffs/draws the same way I play strong and moderate made hands, I am giving away too much information when I use the line. Of course, against static opponents(who don't react to your play) you don't have to worry about play balancing.

ALL1N
08-17-2005, 03:37 AM
Nice hand. The premise of the line seems to be to stop the opponent folding a showdownable hand or taking a freecard to live outs. I like this.

How about forgoing the flop CR for value reasons (say, a small pair on a co-ordinated drawy board), yet still wanting to deny a freecard on the turn.

Eg. defend 33 vs TAG CO openraise, checkcall flop J54 twotone, bet turns such as an offsuit 9. It seems here that the flop CR could easily get 3-bet by a worse hand, causing us to fold pre-showdown, but having the lead on this turn is really valuable. I've been doing this sort of thing a bit. Thoughts?

sublime
08-17-2005, 04:13 AM
this post rocks. thanks schneids.

Trix
08-17-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The board is bland enough though where I think a lot of the value of checkraising is lost, since he is going to think my checkraise is often a pure bluff or a very good hand [which it is] (where as I prefer checkraising on the flop when the opponent is more likely to believe I am semibluffing when I in fact have a made hand). Of course he still includes a ten or trips on the possible hand range, as well as baby pairs or a slowplayed biggie.
- Given what he thinks of my likely hand range, and what I know of his hand range on the button (tighter than me but still a lot of aces, kings queens and jacks, and a lot of suited connectors/one gappers), I think there's a lot of hands where he just folds right away, and a lot of hands where he'll 3 bet me both with the worst hand, or the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
(if he had ace high and I c/r the flop, I speculate it goes I c/r he calls, I bet turn he calls, I bet riv he folds and I still get less BBs out of his ace high than by playing it this more suspicious way).

[/ QUOTE ]

How come you dont check-raise your gutshots if you think it will have a good chance at getting him to fold ?