PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Poker Hand

mmbt0ne
08-13-2005, 04:39 PM
/images/graemlins/club.gif A Q 9 7 6 4
/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A J 6
/images/graemlins/heart.gif K 6
/images/graemlins/spade.gif A 9

I had a very different hands than what the simulation spits out. I'm interested to see what you would play here, and then I'll give mine and the computer's.

randomstumbl
08-13-2005, 05:02 PM
I've never played Chinese poker, but I'm interested to know how bad I am. So, here goes nothing.

Queen high club flush
trip aces
pair of 6's with a king

I'm guessing that is better than a full house, trips and no pair. It's probably close though.

Mr. Peanut
08-13-2005, 05:03 PM
I would play as follows:

Back /images/graemlins/club.gif A Q 9 7 4

Middle J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Front A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Tom Bayes
08-13-2005, 05:11 PM
I learned how to play Chinese Poker less than a week ago and I've played a couple of hours of play chip Chinese. I'm assuming 2-4 scoring w/bonuses as played at PokerRoom.

I came up with three reasonable plays. Here's what I chose (I didn't look at the other responses):

Back: /images/graemlins/club.gif AQ764
Middle: 9966K
Front: AAJ

If this is stupid, remember I'm likely a fish in this game.

MarkGritter
08-13-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would play as follows:

Middle J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Front A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this play because it lets us put a strong pair in back and gives us the best chance to win all three, and probably still win 2/3 against those with a boat in back.

AAA66 in back and the Q flush in the middle gives us two very strong hands but a weak third.

Mr. Peanut
08-13-2005, 05:41 PM
I think too many players underestimate the value of playing a high pair such as aces or kings in the front hand. At the same time, many players overestimate the value of playing higher trips in favor of lower ones in the middle hand.

The power of high pairs in the front is best illustrated by the 5 pair hand strategy of playing the second highest and lowest pairs as two pair in the back, the middle two pair in the middle, and the highest pair in front. Even if a flush or straight is possible with one of these hands, the 5 pair hand is surprisingly close or superior in many cases.

Tom Bayes
08-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Doh! Obviously Mr. Peanut's play is better than mine /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mr. Peanut
08-13-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doh! Obviously Mr. Peanut's play is better than mine /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's OK Tom, I've spent many hours reading and practicing with the software to get to the point where I'm at now in CP skill. I'm glad too see that I might actually have an edge at this game /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

But in all seriousness, the biggest mistake you can make in this game (much like backgammon) isn't considering a few plays and then choosing the wrong one, but completely overlooking the best play to begin with.

Iceman
08-13-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ974 clubs / 666J9 / AAK

Tom Bayes
08-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I had also considered the Queen-high flush/trip aces/pair of sixes hand, and the 66699/trip aces/KQJ hand, but I somehow missed using trip sixes rather than 9966 in the middle.

mmbt0ne
08-13-2005, 07:14 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I would play as follows:

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this play because it lets us put a strong pair in back and gives us the best chance to win all three, and probably still win 2/3 against those with a boat in back.

AAA66 in back and the Q flush in the middle gives us two very strong hands but a weak third.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I did.

AAA66
Q-hi flush
KJ9

I really thought going for the 2 almost sure wins and the raggity high-card would be the best way to do it. I knew the AA front hand would be a lock, but I didn't think the other two hands would hold up enough to make up the difference.

Anyway, I was really really wrong.

My way won an average of 1.67 points, and the flush-trips-pair won 1.90 points. Anyway, I wasn't that surprised that the other comination was better, I'm pretty new to CP, but I was amazed at just how big the difference was.

Also, I should've stated earlier that this was standard 2-4 with bonuses. My bad.

Tom, your

Back: AQ764
Middle: 9966K
Front: AAJ

Has an expectation of 1.31 points. So yeah, you're a fish /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Alex/Mugaaz
08-14-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ974 clubs / 666J9 / AAK

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a CP newb, but I would play it exactly this way.

yellowjack
08-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Can someone explain how the betting works in this game? Thanks.

randomstumbl
08-14-2005, 08:39 PM
You compare your hand to one other opponent. If one person wins 2 out of the 3 hands, they win 2 points. If one of the players wins all three they win 4 points from the other player. Then do the same thing with the other players in the game.

This is not the only way to score. Sometimes, there are bonus points awarded for full houses in the middle hand or other specific hands. Also, other amounts of points are sometimes used for winning 2 or 3 hands.

Before playing, players agree on the rules that will be used and the dollar value of a point.

Cooker
08-16-2005, 01:24 AM
I didn't want to create a new thread, but are there any good sources for information on the strategy of chinese poker?

mmbt0ne
08-17-2005, 11:15 PM
I didn't want to create a new thread, but are there any good sources for information on the strategy of chinese poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.thesmolens.com/Don/Chinese/Index.asp

Trix
08-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Is there any skill in this game aside from laying the hands right ?

I guess there may be a little as you may notice patterns, fx. how people like to make the hands, like do they usually make one pair in the 3 card hand or mostly just focus on the two 5 card hands, but if you are more han 2 players that seem hard to exploit anyway.

randomstumbl
08-19-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any skill in this game aside from laying the hands right ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer: NO

On the other hand, is there any skill to hold'em other than betting your hands right? Chinese poker strategy is not always obvious. Perfect play day in and day out is very tough.

Mr. Peanut
08-19-2005, 01:51 AM
I find that playing 2-7 in the middle hand makes the game much more challenging and interesting, not that I don't love to play high only as well. There is also more skill if you play criss-cross (only two players), each playing two hands and, as the name implies, criss-crossing them to score. You can gain an edge if you adjust for the cards that you hold (and don't hold) and the other player does not.