PDA

View Full Version : "Nice Hand...."

mrkilla
08-13-2005, 04:33 PM
So I am playing at the taj this week..all week...20/40 and 15/30 one the regulars there was a NYC semi regular at PS and we became "friendly".
With that we are sitting at 15/30 [I am on his right UTG +2] I raise and he 3 bets..I say "Nice Hand". About 3 hands later he brings it up that it really annoyed him I said this...
Does this offend anyone else? I've seen this/said this before and never got a reaction like that. I come to find out hes stuck 1600 so maybe that had something to do with it.
Opinions?

tek
08-13-2005, 05:30 PM
You should have also said that he is a 'solid player' /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

goofball
08-13-2005, 07:07 PM
I dunno, it's kind of obnoxious when people do that I don't really know why. I also don't really know why poeple say that or what they mean.

After the hand is over though, in my experience 80%+ of the time nice hand just really means <font color="black">[censored]</font> you.

Evan
08-13-2005, 07:21 PM
If you have AA then I think it's being obnoxious, if you have KTo then I think it's just like any other banter you'd hear at a poker table. Basically just don't do it in an attempt to be a douche (think slowrolling the nuts).

08-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Nothing gets to me more than when 6 people see the flop and a guy with 64s hits a straight flush and wins 5 BB...then gets complimented on his "nice hand." Christ, it was all luck, and he only got 5 bucks out of it! That's what pisses me off the most, when people get congratulated on hitting huge hands that they shouldn't have even been playing in the first place (nevermind playing them poorly).

steamboatin
08-13-2005, 08:26 PM
I type that in when playing online and a total fish cathes a miracle card.

VoraciousReader
08-13-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing gets to me more than when 6 people see the flop and a guy with 64s hits a straight flush and wins 5 BB...then gets complimented on his "nice hand." Christ, it was all luck, and he only got 5 bucks out of it! That's what pisses me off the most, when people get congratulated on hitting huge hands that they shouldn't have even been playing in the first place (nevermind playing them poorly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does this aggravate you? Assuming you will continue to play this person, it's to your advantage if he is encouraged to keep making this mistake. In fact, it's one of the quickest ways to get your $ back. If someone plays J3o against me and gets lucky, I DEFINITELY hope he plays it next time.

Who knows, if enough people compliment him, maybe he'll adopt J3 as his "lucky" hand!

Plus, the first person to say "nice hand" is also usually the one thinking "wtf was he doing playing that crap?" Which gives you an insight into who at the table might actually know how to play. It's a win-win.

Evan
08-13-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that really wrecks my whole day. I was going to go to the beach tomorrow but now that you've reminded me of this I'm just going to cut myself instead.

VoraciousReader
08-13-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yea, that really wrecks my whole day. I was going to go to the beach tomorrow but now that you've reminded me of this I'm just going to cut myself instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
(sighs...one more poster that is infinitely cooler than me...)

AKQJ10
08-13-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, it's one of the quickest ways to get your $ back. If someone plays J3o against me and gets lucky, I DEFINITELY hope he plays it next time.

Who knows, if enough people compliment him, maybe he'll adopt J3 as his "lucky" hand!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... and more subtly, even if he's smart enough to realize that he just got lucky to hit jacks full of threes, it's reinforcing results oriented thinking. If some bizarre full house is inherently a "nicer" hand than my top pair-good kicker, then it totally adds to what's already a confusing issue, that of not trusting short-term results.

On the other hand, I try to point out when I win by dumb luck. Maybe it was a big blind special, or maybe my KQs turned into kings full by the river or my pocket treys flopped a set then filled up. Either way, I'll just smile and say "lucky hand", because in a sense it absolutely was. I don't want them to think about the fact that my "lucky hands" may drag bigger pots than theirs of the course of a year or a decade, or that I'm not throwing away the money I win in a truly lucky hand by playing junk for the next three hours.

08-14-2005, 12:14 AM
A straight flush is a nice hand. forget what two pieces o' poop he started with, he still had a nice hand in the end.

I am trying figure out what you should say when you get "sucked out" or, lets face it, outplayed. I doubt a "nice suckout sphinxterboy" will get him to happily dump his checks to you.

BTW, "nice hand" is not an insult in my book. Dodging flying IPODs on the other hand...

Al_Capone_Junior
08-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Next time you're playing against him and you have aces, use the PROPER term of "ni han" and maybe he will go completely on tilt and you can make an extra small bet or two before the flop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

al

Evan
08-14-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time you're playing against him and you have aces, use the PROPER term of "ni han" and maybe he will go completely on tilt and you can make an extra small bet or two before the flop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you the one that always complains about how people conduct themselves in card rooms?

pokerrookie
08-14-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I say "Nice Hand". About 3 hands later he brings it up that it really annoyed him I said this...

[/ QUOTE ]

It pissed me off because my wife wouldn't let me get the top of the line prosthetic.

Al_Capone_Junior
08-14-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Next time you're playing against him and you have aces, use the PROPER term of "ni han" and maybe he will go completely on tilt and you can make an extra small bet or two before the flop.

al

[/ QUOTE ] Aren't you the one that always complains about how people conduct themselves in card rooms?

[/ QUOTE ]

Details, details. Do as I SAY not as I DO. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey evan, I notice you've got "trouble maker" as your title. Uh-huh. You're a green print guy, I'm the friggin' trouble-maker. Let's just get that straight right now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

al

p.s. I'll kick you in the nuts.

Al_Capone_Junior
08-14-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After the hand is over though, in my experience 80%+ of the time nice hand just really means [censored] you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda agree here. I think tho it really means...

"screw you JERK, and the camel your grandma rode in from baghdad on, because you got dealt a better hand than me and reraised me and I'm probably going to have to check and fold like a little girl after the flop misses me."

al

Al_Capone_Junior
08-14-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, cutting yourself is so "eighties." Today in the (whatever the frig the zeros are) we tend to "stab ourselves in the groin with an icepick" in order to inflict severe self-pain (as a remedy for relieving the agony of extremely bad beats that are coupled with highly witty comments).

al

Al_Capone_Junior
08-14-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt a "nice suckout sphinxterboy" will get him to happily dump his checks to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that might work good for other things tho, I'll have to remember it.

al

dedmoney
08-14-2005, 10:25 PM
I only say things like 'nice hand' or 'i'm sorry' (if I suck out on some dude or bust someone in a tourney) when I know it will piss the guy off even more. I rarely ever say it to be nice or to complement someone. Pyschological warfare baby!

TakeMeToTheRiver
08-15-2005, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise.

RJT
08-15-2005, 09:27 AM
From your post, it sounds like you won the hand. I think it is better to only say it if you lose the hand. You are graciously conceding defeat. When you win the hand and say it, it (shouldn’t necessarily, but) might come across like rubbing salt in the wound.

dtbog
08-15-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With that we are sitting at 15/30 [I am on his right UTG +2] I raise and he 3 bets..I say "Nice Hand". About 3 hands later he brings it up that it really annoyed him I said this...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be the idiot to bite -- I don't get it.

You said this preflop? On the river?

After you won the hand? (you didn't indicate any of this)

... if he won, go ahead and say nice hand /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lestat
08-15-2005, 01:24 PM
It annoys me too. There is no such thing as a "nice" hand. There are only winning hands and losing hands. I never say "nice" hand to anyone and I don't acknowledge anyone who says it to me. Now if you say, "well played", I might feel differently. But I wouldn't want you saying this in front of other players at the table either.

Buckyinsc
08-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Some of the original meanings of the word "nice" include Foolish and Ignorant, so perhaps someone who says "nice hand" is using it in this context to vent frustration without the target realising it. I will occasionally type "very nice" online after a bad suckout as a way to vent.

PokerBob
08-15-2005, 01:55 PM
IMO saying "nice hand" before the flop even hits is stupid. It's like saying "good game" in the middle of the first quarter.

mrkilla
08-18-2005, 03:25 AM
actually I lost the hand , I think he was mad cause I called his hand. I folded to one the donks who cold called 3 bets and hit the flop.

mrkilla
08-18-2005, 03:28 AM
well to me , any hand you win is a nice hand even if its trash, its nice to you aint it? and I just try and be friendly.