PDA

View Full Version : 9 hands from Monday night 3/6 session

Homer
03-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Here are some 3/6 hands I played Monday night. Feel free to comment on as many hands as you'd like. There should be plenty to discuss as most, if not all, of these hands contain mistakes. In particular Hand 5 was played horribly (what was I thinking?) and on a couple other hands I missed obvious value bets on the river.

Hand 1

I'm UTG+2 with ThTd. UTG+1 raises, I reraise, UTG+1 calls. Two to the flop.

Flop - 7d 9s Js

He checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn - 7h

He checks, I bet, he checkraises, I call.

River - 8h

He bets, I call.

Hand 2

I'm in the SB with JTo. Folded to me, I limp, BB raises, I call. Two to the flop.

Flop - As 4h Jc

I bet, he calls.

Turn - 7c

I check, he bets, I call.

River - 6s

I check, he checks it through.

Hand 3

I'm in MP with AcKs. UTG limps, I raise, SB calls, BB three-bets, SB and I call. Four to the flop.

Flop - 3c 9c 5c

SB bets, BB raises, I coldcall, SB folds.

Turn - Jc

BB checks, I check it through.

River - 2s

BB bets, I raise, BB calls.

Hand 4

I'm UTG+2 with 66. UTG limps, I limp, MP limps, BB checks. Four to the flop.

Flop - 5h 6h 9d

BB bets, UTG calls, I raise, BB and UTG call.

Turn - 9c

BB bets, UTG calls, I raise, both fold (!).

Hand 5

I'm dealt QJo in the CO. Three limpers to me, I limp, button limps, BB checks. Six to the flop.

Flop - Jh 2s Ts

BB checks, UTG bets, one limper calls, I raise, button coldcalls, UTG reraises, button and I coldcall. Three to the turn.

Turn - 3c

UTG bets, I raise, button folds, UTG reraises, I call.

River - Qs

UTG checks, I bet, UTG calls.

Hand 6

I'm in the BB with TT. UTG raises, SB calls, I call. Three to the flop.

Flop - 2c 3d Th

SB and I check, UTG bets, only I call.

Turn - Ah

I check, UTG bets, I raise, UTG calls.

River - Ac

I bet, UTG raises, I reraise, UTG calls.

Hand 7

I'm UTG with AcQs. I raise, next two players coldcall, BB calls. Four to the flop.

Flop - Ad Tc Js

I bet, first coldcaller raises, second coldcaller folds, BB coldcalls, I reraise, both call.

Turn - 7h

I bet, both call.

River - 7d

I check and it gets checked through.

Hand 8

I'm dealt AdJd in MP. EP limps, I raise, EP calls. Two the the flop.

Flop - 3c As 9d

EP bets, I call.

Turn - 8h

EP bets, I raise, EP reraises, I call.

River - 6d

EP checks, I check.

Hand 9

I'm UTG+2 with JJ. UTG limps, I raise, MP coldcalls, LP poster and BB call. Five to the flop.

Flop - Qc 8d Kd

It gets checked through.

Turn - Jc

Checked to me, I bet, poster calls.

River - 8s

I bet, poster calls.

-- Homer

Homer
03-26-2003, 03:15 PM
Well, I won all but one of these hands, believe it or not. Still, I left quite a few bets on the table.

Hand 1 - My opponent showed KK for kings-up. Pot goes to Homer.

Hand 2 - My opponent showed J3 for a pair of jacks with a lower kicker. Pot goes to Homer Jay Simpson.

Hand 3 - My opponent showed KK with the K of clubs for the second nut flush. Close but no cigar. Ship it!

Hand 4 - No showdown (Pot goes to Homer, of course /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif)

Hand 5 - My opponent showed TT for a flopped set. Pot goes to guy not named Homer. That ain't right.

Hand 6 - My opponent showed AK for trip aces. Usually I don't want runner-runner aces when I have pocket tens but it felt good this time. Oh yeah, push those chips my way.

Hand 7 - Opponent 1 showed K8d. Opponent 2 showed K6o. Nice try fellas, didn't yo Daddy ever tell ya not to chase gutshots!? Gimme those chips!

Hand 8 - My opponent showed A7 for a pair of aces with a lower kicker (it seems that kickers might be important in this Texas Hold'em game). Send those chips over here, Homah needs them for his pyramid (err...mental pyramid).

Hand 9 - My opponent showed Q6o for second pair, decent kicker. Could you push those chips over here dealer? Thanks, buddy.

-- Homer

Inthacup
03-26-2003, 03:44 PM
I don't care how wrong your play is, this post is hilarious.

Tyler Durden
03-26-2003, 03:59 PM
I agree. The results were the best part. And good thing you won 88.888888% of the hands! Funny stuff.

I'll try to reply to the hands later.

Homer
03-26-2003, 04:07 PM
Alright guys, we all know I'm funny (usually to the people pointing and laughing at me that is)....but in the words of my daughter:

"Grade me...look at me...evaluate and rank me! Oh, I'm good, good, good, and oh so smart! Grade me!"

-- Homer

Barry
03-26-2003, 05:05 PM
OK Homer, normally I need advice from you, but here goes anyway.

Hand 2

It looks like you checked the “call 2” button well before the action got to you. Otherwise I can’t see you making anything else but a raise or fold decision here. If BB is a reasonable player, his raise may be nothing more than a reaction to your wimpy call. I would raise preflop and plan to bet right through here until I got raised. Middle pair heads up against the BB is a good holding,

Given your preflop action, I would raise the flop and see where we stood. I would guess that he had a small pocket pair.

Hand 3

I assume (hope) that you were inducing a bluff with your turn check. But why not bet the turn instead, if he has a /forums/images/icons/club.gif he will call the turn and the river. If not, he won’t be bluffing the river? Your check could mean that you had just a weak /forums/images/icons/club.gif .

Hand 5

A lot depends on your opponent. Would he play 22 UTG; would he limp with TT (or JJ)? With the flop and the turn action, you are most likely behind a set here and are drawing dead. Folding to his 3 bet on the turn wouldn’t be a bad decision. His check on the river is in fear of the flush (or to induce a bluff by you?)and I wouldn’t have bet the river.

Hand 7

Bet the river. No one made their straight and you beat UTG+1’s TJ. If they have AJ or AT, oh well.

Hand 9

Bet the flop.

Barry
03-26-2003, 05:13 PM
I just read your results. Then I reread Hand 1. Oops, I messed up. Raise the river. But you knew that already.

Homer
03-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Hand 2 - I often call from the SB when HU against the BB when I have a hand that is good enough to play but that I don't want to have to pay two bets to see the flop with. Against many opponents, who are actually willing to fold a hand, I will raise preflop, then bet out on the flop. However, against this particular opponent, I knew there was no chance of him folding to a PFR. Another benefit of just calling is that when I have a big hand I might call as well, leaving my opponent to bully me around at the wrong time.

Hand 3 - I thought it was fairly obvious that I had the nut flush. If my opponent didn't have a spade or had a small spade (unlikely in this case), he might fold to my turn bet. If I check behind, he will likely bet into me on the river (this might just be a Party Poker thing, but no one will check twice there), then I can raise and most likely any spade will pay me off. So, if my opponent doesn't have a spade or has a small spade I collect an extra bet, and if he has a big spade I collect the same amount. Against an opponent who wouldn't auto-bet into me on the river, I would simply bet the turn.

Hand 5 - Yep, I butchered this one horribly. In hindsight, a turn fold was in order (probably to the initial bet, but definitely to the three-bet). Betting the river was of course foolish because my opponent likely had a better hand than me, but feared the flush card.

Hand 7 - Absolutely. Another one I looked at in hindsight and smacked myself for not betting the river. In this case it turned out it didn't matter, as neither opponent would have called, but that isn't the point. It was an easy bet. I would have heard from a better hand than mine on the turn, and the running sevens obviously didn't hit anyone.

Hand 9 - This is the only one I disagree with you on. Against four opponents with two overcards on board, I am ready to give up on this hand. Feel free to rebut if you disagree, though.

Thanks!

-- Homer

Homer
03-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Hand 1 - Yes, I definitely should have raised the river. I put my opponent on JJ way too quickly when he CR'd the turn. He could have just as easily been on QQ/KK/AA (as it turned out he was). Also, my turn call was questionable, as I likely have 5 outs, and am getting 8.2:1 on a 7.5:1 call. If I knew for a fact that all my outs were clean it would be an easy call. But, he could have JJ which leaves me drawing dead, making the call a close one.

-- Homer

J.R.
03-26-2003, 05:45 PM
here goes

#1 Why put him on JJ? Raise the river.

#2 I usually raise or fold. I think your post-flop play is fine since I know nothing about the BB. Player dependent.

#3 Well played. Good thing the BB forgot about your supicious flop coldcall.

#4 I would slowplay here and let a likely bare 9 draw to three outs and hope a heart comes to hit the other player.

#5 I fold this pre-flop. I like the flop raise, but the 3-bet means your hand is mush. I would call and fold the turn without help (which may not even be good as help complements the board- I might even fold the flop here(?).

#6 I would play it the same way. I like calling pre-flop, nobody is folding for one bet and you can check-raise a ragegdy flop.

#7 Bet the river. A seven is the second best card for you (next to a K, but that might chop), bet your aces up great kicker.

#8 Would EP go for a river check-raise here? I can't see a missed draw, and can't see a bluff 3-bet on the flop, as EP has to give you credit for a big ace given the turn raise. I would check because I think you would have to call a check-raise.

#9 I am not sure if it is hopeless bet or not, but with a big pot like this I will bet the flop, even with two overcards and two yahoos yet to act. I am going to call, so why not bet. I can't see checking and folding, but I'm no expert.

Barry
03-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Hand 2 – Given your knowledge of you opponent, your call makes sense although I might still consider folding. I sometimes also call in this situation if I have a very strong holding for the same reasons that you discuss.

Hand 9 – I would typically fire off 1 bet here, with the plan to fold to a raise. Perhaps this is just another leak in my game and I should only do that against fewer opponents.

After reading many of your posts, I need to play there. It sure seems to be softer than the 2/4 – 5/10 PP games that I play in

Bob T.
03-26-2003, 06:08 PM
1 - No river raise? I can't believe that you give your opponent that much respect. I would guess that he puts you on top pair and is value betting.

2 - I would check the flop, and then checkraise and lead the turn, and then go from there.

7 - you didn't get raised on the turn, I would have bet the river.

RockLobster
03-26-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi Homer--

I'm going to give these a shot, I may duplicate other info (I haven't read any replies)...

Hand 1- I would have gone for 1 raise on the river. I think he has a boat < half the time.

Hand 2- If you were on the button with that hand, would you attempt a steal? Is it worth trying this from the SB? Just a thought. I think he would have raised the flop with an Ace, so I'd be tempted to bet until he offers resistance. I think you have the best hand.

Hand 3- Cold calling the flop seems reasonable (it feels weird to write that, but I really think it's fine). I would have bet the turn, but I'm not sure which way gets you more money.

Hand 4- Nice. Too bad they didn't stick around, but I think you played it fine.

Hand 5- Cap the flop, cap the turn.
EDIT: I misread this one, thought you had JJ and flopped a set... nevermind!

Hand 6- Beautiful.

Hand 7- Preflop... wow, this game is passive. I'd consider betting the river.

Hand 8- You hid your strength on the flop, showed it on the turn (and he grunted and flexed), I think the river check is fine. I wonder what he had (A9, A8?).

Hand 9- It seems like you should have had more callers on the turn. You're either trying to steal or slow-playing a flopped set... you should have screamed "I don't have QQ, KK, or 88... I promise!". Maybe not. You got all that you could out of this one (but it wasn't much).

Ulysses
03-26-2003, 06:33 PM
Hand 1 - Raise the river.

Hand 3 - Bet the turn.

Hand 5 - I don't like the turn raise here. I guess this may have worked out for you if UTG had JT/AJ and button was on a flush draw. Or did UTG have a set? Anyway, if I think I have the best hand on the flop, I'll 4-bet it and see what happens from there. If I'm not sure, I'd call the flop 3-bet, check-call the turn, then raise the river when I hit my two pair if it's just me and UTG.

Hand 6 - I think you played this well. I also think betting out on the turn hoping to get raised by UTG's big Ace is a reasonable strategy.

Hand 7 - Bet the river.

Hand 8 - Bet the river.