PDA

View Full Version : Best SNG Software?

Landon_McFly
08-13-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm about to purchase my first piece of poker software. I was wondering what's best overall. I hear that pokertracker is pretty much the best, but I was wondering how good PT is for SNG's. (I mainly play LHE, and SNGs')

Someone please help me out and tell me what software would be best 4 me.

Thank You,
Lando

Landon_McFly
08-13-2005, 04:10 PM

citanul
08-13-2005, 04:10 PM
what stakes do you play/how often do you play/etc?

pokertracker is nice, but much of what it does isn't that great for sngs. sng tracker is good and free, but doesn't do the hand by hand stuff that pokertracker does (i think, i can't remember, but it's free, so just try it yourself). sng power tools is a pretty impressive piece of software that is great for beginning to middling players and good for upper level players as well.

get pokerstove if you don't have it, it's free also.

citanul

citanul
08-13-2005, 04:11 PM
please, god, tell me you didn't just bump this post TWENTY MINUTES AFTER YOU MADE IT.

citanul

Jman28
08-13-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
please, god, tell me you didn't just bump this post TWENTY MINUTES AFTER YOU MADE IT.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cool Citanul. It was 21 minutes.

citanul
08-13-2005, 04:17 PM
that makes it all better. those last 60 seconds were key.

citanul

Landon_McFly
08-13-2005, 05:01 PM
I want to start from the bottom and work my way up. I have set aside 150 for strictly SNG's and really want to take a methodical approach. That's why I'm going to get these programs before I start playing too many. I plan on starting at the $5.50 limit and working my way up. I'm sure I can 2 table at those limits with no real problem. I think on an average I'd play about 20 a day, therefore a MINIMUM of 500 a month. I know that's not much compared to some of you guys, but I hope that first month will really help me feel my way around the swings, because right now I play more like only 60 SNG's a week.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

TY

vabogee
08-13-2005, 05:06 PM
playing 20 a day, two at a time, is going to take a LONG time. especially if you're playing at stars or UB (as i assume you are based on the $5.50s you'll be playing). we're talking like 10 hours a day. just saying, you're plan may be a little extreme for starting off as an SNG player.

Landon_McFly
08-13-2005, 06:07 PM
I currently play poker room, but I don't think pokertracker's SNG stats work for pokerroom, so I'm gonna switch to party. Does party have a 5.50?

SammyKid11
08-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Party has a 6, and it is incredibly stupid to play it. Before you ask why (which maybe you'd figure it out), it's dumb for 1/6 of your money to go to entry fee (rake) instead of playing the 11's where only 1/11 of your money goes to entry fee.

If you only have 150 available, you're not really bankrolled for the 11's (I'd want minimum 300 BR for that limit, though if you're a brand new SnG player you might want more like 500). If you have this available from your SSHE BR, I'd move it over to what you have earmarked for SnG's.

If you don't, go to bonuswhores.com and follow the instructions -- build a sufficient bankroll for yourself whoring, then come back to this forum, get all the software people have mentioned (Poker Tracker and ESPECIALLY Sit'n'Go Power Tools are both worth 5 times the money they cost, SNG Tracker and Poker Stove, as mentioned, are free). Study your play and general bubble play in Power Tools, start running hand ranges to get an idea of what has an edge over what in Poker Stove, meticulously comb through your results in Poker Tracker and SNG Tracker, post on here often in response to others' hands as well as posting your own hands, read others' posts often (especially the better players - Curtains, Raptor, Citanul, Irieguy, and many others whose expertise you will come to enjoy). If you really want to become a good player, take your total daily time allotment and at first, spend 3/4 of it doing these things and only 1/4 playing. Slowly move to where you're 1/2 and 1/2, and NEVER get to a point where you spend less than 1/10 of your total poker time doing this type of studying.

A little over a month ago I was barely better than a breakeven SNG player. By doing these things, I am currently at 28 ROI (though I'm sure I've run well) over about a 600 SNG span, am about to buy two Dell 2001FP's and start adding tables 5-8, and in addition to living off a percentage of my winnings, I'm building my bankroll towards the 33's and 55's. I owe it all to taking seriously the people on this forum, continually striving to improve my own game, the software that I've either invested in or taken advantage of them being free, etc. Do these things and you will be taking the most well-worn route to being a good player. I'm still working toward that goal, but in a month of taking it very seriously, I do feel I'm well on my way.

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants...
Sam

skipperbob
08-13-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(especially the better players - Curtains, Raptor, Citanul, Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to have omitted FORUMBOT...prolly just a typo /images/graemlins/blush.gif

citanul
08-14-2005, 01:44 AM
merf.

if you are setting aside 150 bucks to begin the sngs with, i would strongly suggest not getting any piece of software you have to pay for at all.

i would start by doing a lot of reading and playing, and getting pokerstove and sng tracker.

i would not shell out any money for ptracker or sng power tools if you are just starting out and playing very low stakes.

party does not have 5+.5 games, the lowest they have is 5+1 games.

i would read a lot. i said that already. i would play around with ICM, and read some of the threads that are specifically aimed at newbies. they shouldn't take long. but just reading and posting when you get a certain comfort level and seeing where people disagree with you and why they do is very good. if you manage to have a good tone in your posts, you can really do a lot of prodding at people when they disagree with you to find out why they do so, without getting on anyone's nerves.

good luck.

ps: look for lorinda, eastbay, chrisv, adanthar, also amongst your looking for strategy. they will be more likely to turn up strategy posts faster than some of the other suggestions, especially for low limits, or at least low limit applicable.

citanul

08-14-2005, 08:30 AM
I would definately get Poker Academy Pro 2 at poki-poker.com it's the best software out there right now. this beats wilsons software hands down.