PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about yngwie j malmsteen a little more?

PITTM
08-13-2005, 03:11 PM
he absouletely rules. my favorite songs are: blitzkrieg, black star and trilogy suite no 5. you?

rj

rusellmj
08-13-2005, 03:21 PM
The 80's called, it wants it's hair back.

kitaristi0
08-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Yngwie sucks so much it ain't even funny.

kitaristi0
08-13-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The 80's called, it wants it's hair back.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

DarkForceRising
08-14-2005, 01:18 AM
My screen name is actually indirectly inspired by YJM's Rising Force. Been listening to the 1st CD lately- the solo on "Now Your Ships are Burned" absolutely [censored] rules.

I'm gonna go grab "Marching Out" soon. It has been years since I heard it but, as I recall, it had a better, rawer sound.

But, hey, let's face it- he's no Nickleback (insert vomiting emoticon).

DarkForceRising
08-14-2005, 01:36 AM
BTW, I saw RATT a couple of weeks ago. Warren Di Martini rocks. Restrained, disciplined playing- not all out hot dog-style shredding. Back in the day when Yngwies' ego was in it's glory the only guitarists he would give any credit to were Di Martini and George Lynch.

Hence, my eagerness to see Warren live. For a guy that must be in his 40's he looked like a skinny 17 year old just having a blast.

The only complaints I have with YJM is his sound (kinda flat- I prefer Jake E. Lees' rawer Badlands sound), his "wars" with the keyboardist (gay) and teh constant ripping. Holding back and building up to the blistering solo is more tasteful, IMO.

But, WTF. If you can shred like that I guess you might as well have at it!

JaBlue
08-14-2005, 01:40 AM
that stuff is so incredibly boring to listen to

DarkForceRising
08-14-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that stuff is so incredibly boring to listen to

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know. You're right. I'll go out first thing tomorrow and grab The Offsprings' Greatest Hits.

IQ89
08-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Forget Malmsteen, can we talk about this chick's fat ass? Mmmmm nice.

http://images2.bangbros.com/assparade/shoots/ap848/t1/1.jpg

DarkForceRising
08-14-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Forget Malmsteen, can we talk about this chick's fat ass? Mmmmm nice.

http://images2.bangbros.com/assparade/shoots/ap848/t1/1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Bang Bros sure finds the talent, don't they? There was another thread where someone posted a photo of some chick with an incredible ass doing a handstand (attention whore caption). I said I'd tounge-jack her sewer chute.

The next guy said, "I'd eat the corn".

JaBlue
08-14-2005, 02:28 AM
what?

Bill Murphy
08-14-2005, 02:40 AM
All those hundreds of notes piled on top each other; no room for the music to breathe, IMO. I always thought the diff btwn Yngwie, Satriani, etc, & Van Halen & Rhoads(to say nothing of Hendrix & Page) was that the latter always kept the overall song as being most important. The shredders just waste too much, distract from the main riff. Kinda like a drummer who hits the cymbal six times when once would suffice.

I bought Rising Force when it first came out and it got played once. The guy is mad skeeled at what he does, but I've never heard a memorable(or even distinctive) riff.

But Hey, if ya'll like him, God Bless, variety's the spice ay life, live n let live, etc.

x2ski
08-14-2005, 04:24 AM
This reminds me of Ing-Vay:

Impressive, but still gay. (http://www.compfused.com/directlink/99)

cnfuzzd
08-14-2005, 04:31 AM
Is it cause deep inside, you know that you are a lie, that your are a sham?

peace

john nickle

bernie
08-14-2005, 06:37 AM
I am a viking.

That whole album is pretty cool.

However, I really don't care for his soloing. To me it really gets boring hearing sweep picking over and over and over and over, followed by speed picking over and over and over. Along with the whole old mike varney produced school style of guitar tunes. Moore, Macaplpine, Howe, cocophony, etc... Though some of the tunes were ok... (I thought MacApline had some great moments on album. Especially with George Lynch)
Varney was a producer of a lot of those types of albums back in the late 80s/early 90s.

I think he's actually underrated for his rythym parts which is what I really dug on Marching out. His tone was great and raw. The singer also really fit well, imo. But when you can pretty much interchange all the solos on all the songs...eh. That whole sweeppick 'movement' that came about back then was one reason I didn't incorporate it into my playing. To me it's just kinda boring.

This is besides the fact that he's very well known as a major prick. He may have grown up in the last 15 years though.

b

btw...If you really like fast picking and all that, check out Al Di Meola.

cnfuzzd
08-14-2005, 06:38 AM
I DONT NEED NO INSTRUCTIONS TO KNOW HOW TO ROCK!!!!!!

peace

john nickle

smokingrobot
08-14-2005, 01:35 PM
this guy sucks at writing songs but is technically amazing.

its not music, its dick strokin', and i dont like to listen to dudes stroke their dicks that much.

there is nothing sincere behind his sounds.

what makes you like him so much? i dont understand why people listen to him. a good friend of mine is a fan of his too and the only thing he can point out about this doode is that he is amazing at playing the guitar. but i still dont see how that translates into music.

vabogee
08-14-2005, 02:15 PM
It's Ing-vay, or the high-vay!

UncleRemus
08-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Concerto Suite is fantastic. Not my favorite guitarist, but what an album...

eastbay
08-14-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his music is 100% sincere. What you hear is who he is.

If you don't hear any emotion, feel, melody, or taste in something like "Marching Out" then you just don't get his style. YJM has legions of fans who do get it.

eastbay

DarkForceRising
08-14-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this guy sucks at writing songs but is technically amazing.

its not music, its dick strokin', and i dont like to listen to dudes stroke their dicks that much.

what makes you like him so much? i dont understand why people listen to him. a good friend of mine is a fan of his too and the only thing he can point out about this doode is that he is amazing at playing the guitar. but i still dont see how that translates into music.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree to an extent. It does get old pretty quickly. It's more miss than hit- but when he does hit it is on all 12 cylinders.

Some of the classical insturmentals are downright beautiful, though.

DarkForceRising
08-14-2005, 02:31 PM
I didn't know Mc Alpine and Lynch ever did an album. Was it recently? Actually, I've never even heard Mc Alpine.

Also, a friend told me Yngwie and Neil Shon just did an album. Anyone got a report?

bernie
08-14-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know Mc Alpine and Lynch ever did an album. Was it recently? Actually, I've never even heard Mc Alpine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony MacAlpine. He had George do some guest solos on his album: Maximum Security. They would trade off soloing during a few tunes.

The main tune was Tears of the Sahara.

It was back in late 80s, maybe even early 90s.

b

bdk3clash
08-14-2005, 04:44 PM
You've unleashed the [censored] fury! (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=8100)

poboy
08-14-2005, 04:45 PM
He's nothing more than a noodle-head shredder. There is absolutely no substance to his playing combined with what can only be described as the worst tone ever. Would much rather listen to Vai or Satch. JMO

kitaristi0
08-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Just watch the G3 DVD with Vai, Satriani and Yngwie, at the end when they're jamming to Neil Young and Hendrix, you'll notice that Yngwie has no idea what he's doing. Sure he can play 100 notes per second, but seriously man, it's just plain hurtful.

glen
08-14-2005, 04:54 PM
has anyone read chuck klosterman's "fargo rock city?" great book - kind of a sociology of 80's rock. He disses malmsteen in a pretty clever way - mostly about being an elitist dick that did not rock whatsoever. I lent it to someone so I can't quote it, but it was good. . .

PITTM
08-14-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yngwie sucks so much it ain't even funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

errr, care to take back the statement that could be about as far from reality as possible?

rj