PDA

View Full Version : When will the good cards come? Part II (related content)

Piper Tim
08-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Getting sucked out on is hard and as I played this week, I thought a lot about my own playing and the playing of my opponents.

I put in a couple long sessions for me over the past few days. I finished clearing the pary bonus for August at +65BB, not counting the bonus, at the .5/1 LHE tables. Of course, this is not something that will happen all the time, but it does feel good.

Anyway, I play pretty tight, rarely cold-call, and am aggressive when I get good hands. I had a couple decent run of cards and got lucky a couple times. I also made a bunch of mistakes and I got sucked out on quite a bit. However, since I wasn't playing a lot of hands and I don't multitable, I spent a lot of time watching and analyzing the other players.

I don't know how many of the beginning players try to multitable, but you do, you may want to play at a single table once in a while and really study the other players. I think it will help to drive home some concepts or ideas that we accept cognitively but reject emotionally and provides an excellent opportunity for your own reflective play.

For example, how often have we seen somebody play almost every hand and see their chips swell? You know you are playing (or trying to play) good poker yet you see somebody doing well by playing bad poker. I am sure that you have at least said to yourself, why the h*ll shouldn't I play like that, he can and he is winning? Or we fail to raise a premium hand like AA or AK preflop, or even fail to raise a strong hand like JJ because we have been beat in the past.

Yesterday I watched four different maniac players. One bought in at the same time as I did and very quickly ran it up to almost $80 (3x the buy-in) by playing any two cards. When I left the table, he/she had less than $10, where I was +5BB. Another player, bought in in three different times in increments of $15. He quickly went broke 3 different times and ended up leaving the table with nothing. The third player had 4x the buy-in in front of them. Again, he played almost anything and sucked out on me more than once with bad cards. When he left the table he was -40BB. The fourth player also played a lot of hands. Again it seemed like he would play almost anything. He left the table in the green. (If I focused on just that one player, it would seem like playing anyhing can be profitable.) Now, those other players must have been having fun and rather than moan at them when I got sucked out on, I congratulated them and swore under my breath. But, they were good for me to have at the table and I think are the reason I did so well this week.

When I had premium hands, I pushed them. I could count on large pots because not only would they play most hands, but they would cold call 2 or even three bets. The hands that I won and played aggressively, made up for the hands that I lost but played aggressively. There were swings in my chips, but usually it was four steps forward, two steps back. One session I was down almost to 2BB (nothing seemed to connect) and then in four hands, I was almost back to my buy in amount. All along the way, I had to remind myself that good play is +EV in the long term, and that poor play might be +EV (although not necessarily) short term, it won't last.

Be patient, wait for the good cards and play aggressively.

Pov
08-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Congratulations. I had a really good run clearing the bonus this week as well and it was very satisfying. Three quick things for you:

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I play pretty tight, rarely cold-call, and am aggressive when I get good hands. I had a couple decent run of cards and got lucky a couple times. I also made a bunch of mistakes and I got sucked out on quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're on your way. This is poker. You'll always get sucked out on from time to time, but you just keep at it. Part of your aggression is making those players pay dearly when their suckout attempt fails as it does most of the time. What I particularly like is that even though you were up significantly, you recognized that you made mistakes. It is very important to examine these mistakes even though you won. Sometimes you'll make a big mistake on a hand and go on to win it anyway or perhaps in spite of your mistake - learn from those too!

[ QUOTE ]
But, they were good for me to have at the table and I think are the reason I did so well this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely correct. There are only two ways to make money at poker - you can be lucky or your opponents can make mistakes - and luck doesn't last. If your opponents didn't make mistakes then you'd win when you got lucky and lose when you got unlucky and everyone would lose all their money to the rake in the end. No matter how perfectly you play, you'll never make money unless someone is making mistakes. The more (and bigger) mistakes they are making, the more money is up for grabs for the good players to take as their profit. The cards will all even out at some point - your skill takes affect first as you eliminate mistakes from your game and second as you learn to force your opponents into making mistakes they wouldn't have made without your "help".

When you win a hand with AA it may feel good, but so what? You were "supposed" to win that hand. You need to know why you made more money than the next guy would have if he had the same cards and the same flop, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
One session I was down almost to 2BB (nothing seemed to connect) and then in four hands, I was almost back to my buy in amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you bounced back, but don't let this happen in the future. What happens when you get dealt JJ, flop a full house and then watch as a raising war breaks out except you can't participate because you're all in? Can you think of anything more tragic? If you fall below maybe 12 BB's or so you should add chips back to the table buy-in or leave.

So again - congratulations! Poker can be a lot of fun, especially when you're winning and it sounds to me like you'll do plenty of that if you keep studying the game. Just don't get discouraged by downturns and let it tilt you. Re-examine your play and keep playing smart aggressive poker and you'll win far more than you lose in the long run. (Remember, it's a really long run to the long run.)

Piper Tim
08-13-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What happens when you get dealt JJ, flop a full house and then watch as a raising war breaks out except you can't participate because you're all in? Can you think of anything more tragic? If you fall below maybe 12 BB's or so you should add chips back to the table buy-in or leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I can think of something more tragic and that is getting dealt KK! I wasn't quick enough with the rebuy button before I was dealt a new hand. I got lucky and the kings held against 3 others.