PDA

View Full Version : X Box Where Do I Get One?

12-12-2001, 01:00 AM
I've been trying to locate an X Box console to give as a Christmas gift but everyone is out of them. I can get them online but it seems like I'm being gouged. I went to BestBuy and they said they're getting more on Thursday but that's pretty iffy. There are quite a few used ones on Amazon so maybe that's my best bet. I'll bet I can buy all the X Box consoles I want after Christmas. Does anyone have an opinion on X Box vs GameCube?

12-12-2001, 04:42 AM
Here's my take:

Get in from an established seller on EBAY. That's how I got my gamecube. Back when PS2 came out I stood in line for 9 fu**ing hours to get my hands on the damn thing, so that is another option. Some stores allow early lineups and others don't so you might want to check into it. I always thought that people who did stuff like that were fanatical to some dgree but it is actually sort of rewarding once you are done boring yourself to death and have in hand the thing you so desired:-)

In fact last month there was a small sale at a Guitar Center and I only waited in line like one hour and ended up getting third choice on a new drumset that costs $3,500 (the list price on it was $5,000) and I only had to pay $1049!

Anyway, I would never get an X-Box over a gamecube. American games are so inferior to Japanese games that it is almost absurd. The X-Box probably wont even be a succes IMO and go a similar route of the Deamcast. I am no expert on the subject, and only play video games about 1 to 5 hours a week but if you have the choice between X-Box or Gamecube I don't even think it's close. As for PS2 or Gamecube it's hard to say- Gamecube still only has a few titles out but they are most likely going to have a bunch of great titles within the next year.

Of course if you are buying this as a gift it all depends on who it is for, but if somebody gave me an X-Box rather then a Gamecube or PS2 I'd be bummed.

Oh yeah one other thing, you are right about the iffy-ness of stores saying they'll have so and so on whatever day. Especially with things like video games and the consoles they are VERY often wrong about that info- I know from years of experience. When I was younger I always had to have everything the day it came out and sometimes i would rely on such a story and be dissapointed to come to the store and give me some new story as to why they don't have the goods. Somehow I always found a way though, even if it took a dozen phone calls and driving 50 miles.

Kris

12-12-2001, 12:51 PM
the best way to get one is to find the guy at best buy that works the shift when they come in. tell him you will give him 20 or 50 bucks to call you and save one for you.

12-13-2001, 10:28 AM
Tom,

For what it's worth, X-Box got a very favorable review from Walter Mossburg of The Wall Street Journal, one of the few tech columnists in the country who can make or break a new product.

John