PDA

View Full Version : Turn Continuation Bet Question

Chris Daddy Cool
08-13-2005, 12:00 PM
typical 2k game

i have 4k. villian has 2.5k. he hasn't done much to impress me one way or the other, so i'm essentially "readless"

mp limper. i raise on the button to 70 with 98s. blinds fold. hu for 170.

flop: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

he checks. i bet 125. he calls. hu for 420.

so assume the turn doesn't help my hand. what type of cards should i be checking. what type of cards should i be betting?

what if my hand was a little weaker on the flop? like i only had a flush draw and not the straight draw or vice versa.

etizzle
08-13-2005, 01:38 PM
so you have 9h8h? I'm confused.

Chris Daddy Cool
08-13-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so you have 9h8h? I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ] yes

BobboFitos
08-13-2005, 02:05 PM
bet if the board pairs, check other blanks, bet if you hit an out.

amoeba
08-13-2005, 02:09 PM
what is the reason for betting if the board pairs?

why not bet an A or K or Q ?

BobboFitos
08-13-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what is the reason for betting if the board pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

A few reasons.
The primary is if you get c/r on a paired board it leads to easy decision... A major motivation as to whether to continue a semibluff or not on the turn is whether you're completely live. If you are, you fear a c/r much more, because a free card could technically break a big hand (if that is what opponent has) And if you're drawing dead who cares about the free card?

Obviouly, the fact villain just called the flop then checked the turn doesn't mean he has a big hand; he could have a marginal hand, a draw, a monster, etc.
A continuation of your semibluff will get a draw to release on a paired board and puts alot of pressure on marginal hands which probably wouldn't pay you off on the river, anyway
[ QUOTE ]

why not bet an A or K or Q ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could, if I paired up I'd check, and I think my opponents know that. But against a ton of unknowns thats a good scare card.

amoeba
08-13-2005, 02:25 PM
your answer for 2 reminds me of the barryG sklansky thread.

I bet with AK here on a two flush board though.

on rainbow, I can see a check to induce bluff and thus you would want to play the same but on two flush, I like a bet.

BobboFitos
08-13-2005, 02:26 PM
yep /images/graemlins/smile.gif thats why you dont bet AK there if you pair up... (if they will fold all marginal hands but checkraise a draw or big hand)

But it's why it's a good spot to continue a bluff, aiming at folding those gray area hands

amoeba
08-13-2005, 02:32 PM
yeah I edited in that I think I would bet AK on the turn with a flush draw flop if I hit the A or K.

but I see your point.

kagame
08-13-2005, 03:26 PM
either works really