PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new bed

ozyman
08-13-2005, 10:56 AM
I am moving in a week and thought it would be a good opportunity to buy a new nicer bed since I still have the one I bought for college. My plan is to visit some stores to test some out and then try to find it online cheaper. Anyone who has gone through the process lately, any good but affordable brands/models that you can recommend. Any other bedding related insights are appreciated.

Warik
08-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Try one of those Tempurpedic mattresses... then go here (http://www.memoryfoam.com) and buy the same thing for a fraction of the price.

One of the best things I've ever spent my money on.

smb394
08-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Bed salesmen are the worst. They do not leave you alone. Probably worse than direct marketers, although you can really talk down the price a bit.

Mat Sklansky
08-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Insanely expensive, but coming from a guy who had back surgery, I think worth it. The intellibed. I don't know if there's a similar, cheaper equivalent.

otis_nixon
08-13-2005, 03:04 PM
If your looking for one to pound some major ass go with the sleep timer bed they are awesome

Phoenix1010
08-13-2005, 03:04 PM
I was about to make a post like this. While you're helping him find a new nicer bed, can you also help a poor college kid find a new cheaper bed? I really need one, futons are bad for my back.

RacersEdge
08-13-2005, 03:15 PM
I tried a Tempurpedic in a hotel once, wasn't that impressed. But I can sleep anywhere - not picky at all.

Phoenix1010
08-13-2005, 03:31 PM
This search is depressing. I didn't realize beds were so expensive. The real world sucks. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a bed under $300?

rusellmj
08-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Nice to see you've joined the fun.

HopeydaFish
08-13-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This search is depressing. I didn't realize beds were so expensive. The real world sucks. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a bed under $300?

[/ QUOTE ]

Used...if you don't mind sleeping in fecal matter, urine, and jizz stains.

rusellmj
08-13-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you don't mind sleeping in fecal matter, urine, and jizz stains.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone elses anyway.

Warik
08-13-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tried a Tempurpedic in a hotel once, wasn't that impressed. But I can sleep anywhere - not picky at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can sleep anywhere, but not necessarily well. My old mattress started sagging and I'd wake up with hardcore lower back pain every day. Finally ordered one of these memory foam mattresses and slept on the floor until it came. Floor > my old mattress. Memory Foam > Floor.

Memory Foam FTW (at least for me)

tinga81
08-13-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can sleep anywhere, but not necessarily well. My old mattress started sagging and I'd wake up with hardcore lower back pain every day. Finally ordered one of these memory foam mattresses and slept on the floor until it came. Floor > my old mattress. Memory Foam > Floor.

Memory Foam FTW (at least for me)

[/ QUOTE ]

Memory foam is definately the way to go.

Not too long ago, I was in the market for a new bed. After some research, I found a great thread on another message board that pointed out some great places to find the pieces for a "Cheaper-pedic" bed.

After all was said and done, I paid approximately $700 for the frame, two pieces of foam, and *really* nice comforter/sheet combo, and zipper cover to hold the pieces of foam together.

OP, if you're interested at all, hit me up with a PM, I can give you the links for everything that I purchased.

HopeydaFish
08-13-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you don't mind sleeping in fecal matter, urine, and jizz stains.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone elses anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. If I'm going to stick to the mattress, I want it to be my fluids that are doing it, not someone else's.

Consequently, I'm not a huge fan of sleeping on hotel mattresses, either.