PDA

View Full Version : BB: dealing with weak button steal

45suited
08-13-2005, 10:47 AM
This move ended up working, but I don't know if it was correct. Button had been one of the more active players pre-flop, raising and calling raises. I couldn't see folding A9o against a probable weak steal, so my first instinct was to push. Then I thought that he's loose enough that he might just call me, and why race against a weaker player when my hand was only so-so? Does anyone ever just call here and bet any flop?

Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 4: CallntheHogs ( $765 )
Seat 5: bp560 ( $765 )
Seat 3: trmmilwwi ( $1000 )
Seat 1: lazzyday ( $790 )
Seat 6: HERO ( $840 )
Seat 8: MarMik24 ( $710 )
Seat 7: dghazelwood ( $3130 )

Blinds(25/50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ As 9h ]
dghazelwood folds.
MarMik24 folds.
lazzyday folds.
trmmilwwi folds.
CallntheHogs raises [100].
bp560 folds.
HERO calls [50].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jd, 7d, 3s ]
HERO bets [170].
CallntheHogs folds.

I don't want to be results oriented, I'm trying to figure out if my play was good or just lucky. Against a loose pre-flop opponent (who you suspect is weak post-flop) is this a good play or should I just push pre-flop? Of course, folding is an option as well, but would have felt very weak.

Damian UK
08-13-2005, 01:10 PM
personally I would have pushed PF - because by calling you are OOP and he may have hit his hand in some way, so a push of the flop from you is dicey and just thinking, you bet 170 on the flop - what do you do if he now pushes?, it has cost you 220 already (1/4 of your stack) - do you fold? or what if he calls, and a blank hits the turn, do you bet again or check? you are on a hiding to nothing with this.

So either call and be prepared to fold if you miss (not my preferred option) or what I would do is define my hand PF and push and see 5 cards if he calls

Just my thoughts

Damian