PDA

View Full Version : They're not calling my reraises...how do I play AA?

DaveduFresne
08-13-2005, 09:11 AM
At 50 NL I typically (.25/50 blinds) raise to 2.50 with AA or any other raising hand. A lot of players raise to only 2.00, so I will usually reraise to six.

Until very recently this would usually get a call, and then I would often make more money on the flop.

I'm noticing that as play has tightened, a reraise preflop usually means AA or KK. Thus players are reluctant to call a reraise even with QQ (unless its a miniraise, which is pointless of course).

I've noticed a lot of players that smoothcall a reraise, or even just a raise from a tight player, and then they get the hapless tight player all in on the flop with KK or QQ, when said player would have folded to a preflop push.

This strategy seems to rely a lot on hand reading skills, but I'm guessing if you have AA and no K or Q comes on the flop, you're probably home (not many players are raising with Jacks were I play). That said, you did have a few players that raise with Jacks or Tens, and you get a few oddballs that will raise with any pocket. So I'm thinking this is a good strategy against players whom you have a good read on their raising requirements, but not against unknown players....thoughts?

Degen
08-13-2005, 09:19 AM
try another site

the small blinds don't really induce much action IMO.

yvesaint
08-13-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

the small blinds don't really induce much action IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh

fimbulwinter
08-13-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
people fold everything but AA/KK to a 3bet

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't honestly be asking for the best way to exploit this, can you?

fim

Ojo_Rojo
08-13-2005, 09:37 AM
I agree with Degen about looking elsewhere. I play mostly $100 NL and I dont have the same observations as you do, I've seen calls of reraises with all sorts of junk - perhaps your table selection could do with some improvement?

On the other hand, I'd love to play folks who fold anything except AA/KK to a reraise.

I'm not sure I understand the last bit of your post - are you describing the method of calling a pf raise with AA, and stacking a predictable opponent with a weaker pocket pair on a raggedy flop?

This can be a good play if:

1) You are sure your opponent will fold AK/QQ/JJ(/KK?) if you reraise preflop. Note (for eg.) that you might not get paid if Kxx/Axx falls on the flop, and villain holds QQ.
2) You are sure that you will be heads-up on the flop.

Hence I dont use this play a lot. In fact I find that making a fat reraise preflop makes it easier to play on later streets.

Ojo_Rojo

chumsferd
08-13-2005, 09:44 AM
Poker is about exploiting other people's weaknesses, not just about getting paid off when you have AA. If these guys won't call a 3-bet with QQ, then start 3-betting them with hands other than AA.

pokerjoker
08-13-2005, 10:13 AM
my guess is your sample size is pretty small...just because the last 5 times you had AA its been against rocks doesnt mean it will always be that way...if you have a decent sample size then either steal a lot or find a new site if u arent comfortable playing loose

grouchie
08-13-2005, 12:27 PM
at Party's 50NL, over the course of the last week I have had a chance to re-raise AA or KK about 10 times.
I think only two times did I take the pot down preflop.

I have been re-raising to 7 if i'm the first person in the pot after the raise. I've been going to 10 if one other person called (those are the only situations i've come across this week).

One time I got a caller who was not the original raiser, one time I got two people to call (The original raiser and a random other person who i'm assuming was going for a set).

So, i'm not see'ing what you are see'ing. You must just be running on the other side of Variance.

jtr
08-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hijack, but: Woolyhat, your avatar is freaking me out.

xorbie
08-13-2005, 07:20 PM
3-bet more. A lot more. QQ. AK. JJ. 22. 67s.