PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter Addiction

Crimson
08-13-2005, 04:57 AM
Lets start this off by saying I love harry potter. However, its fluff. Nothing substantial or awe inspiring, its just wonderfully written and is more addicting than crack. My question is why? I've been reading fiction since I could read and nothing like this exists out there. I've read Tolkien, Spencer, Lewis, all great books, wonderful series, but none of them have that addictive pull like the Harry Potter books do.

Anybody know why? And are there any other similar books you would suggest?

BTW im reading "The Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution" by P.D. Ouspensky and its amazing.

usmfan
08-13-2005, 05:03 AM
B/c you are a pre-pubescent 12 yr. old boy? Sorry Dynasty.

I kid b/c I'm only a few chapters into the the latest book.

cadillac1234
08-13-2005, 10:56 AM
IMHO Rowling ripped off Piers Anthony's Xanth series and Aspirin's Myth Adventures to create Harry Potter.

You'll probably enjoy those series more than Harry Potter.

ChipWrecked
08-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Easy reading with vivid imagery.

Yes, she ripped off lots of sources. So did Tolkien.

TheIrishThug
08-13-2005, 12:42 PM
yeah, my guess is that for the 2nd book, u will be able to switch back and forth between that and return of the king at random and not be confused.

touchfaith
08-13-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lets start this off by saying I love harry potter. However, its fluff. Nothing substantial or awe inspiring, its just wonderfully written and is more addicting than crack. My question is why? I've been reading fiction since I could read and nothing like this exists out there. I've read Tolkien, Spencer, Lewis, all great books, wonderful series, but none of them have that addictive pull like the Harry Potter books do.

Anybody know why? And are there any other similar books you would suggest?

BTW im reading "The Psychology of Man's Possible Evolution" by P.D. Ouspensky and its amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never smoked crack...

But, by all means, please smoke some and then see which you are able to put down easier...It or the Potter

thabadguy
08-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Talk such trash about Harry Potter again and i will Avada Kedavra yo' ass.

Ringo_Mojo
08-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Ripped off is kind of a harsh way to put it.

Rowling drew from the same sources as Tolkien and built her story in much the same way which is why its so fascinating.
Both stories (as well as the original Star Wars) invoke classical heroic archtypes that date back to the very beginings of human civilization. In some ways everything in our culture prompts us to enjoy these stories.

It's why there is such a mainstream appreciation for Star Wars versus Star Trek. They're basically the same thing, laser beams and spaceships, but one is draped over a mythologic journey and the other is draped over some 60s space cadet's political views.

ChipWrecked
08-13-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ripped off is kind of a harsh way to put it.

Rowling drew from the same sources as Tolkien and built her story in much the same way which is why its so fascinating.
Both stories (as well as the original Star Wars) invoke classical heroic archtypes that date back to the very beginings of human civilization. In some ways everything in our culture prompts us to enjoy these stories.

It's why there is such a mainstream appreciation for Star Wars versus Star Trek. They're basically the same thing, laser beams and spaceships, but one is draped over a mythologic journey and the other is draped over some 60s space cadet's political views.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not harsh, maybe a little blunt.

I've read LOTR for the past 25 years, and have some knowledge of Tolkien's history, i.e. his expertise regarding 'Beowulf' etc.

I was being harsh on cadillac's weak-ass putting down of Rowling. Even the master, Tolkien, drew inspiration from past works.

Piers Anthony. JFC.

Dantes
08-13-2005, 05:24 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092115/

Dynasty
08-13-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092115/

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an example of a person who wants to take credit away from somebody who has accomplished far more than they ever will.

08-13-2005, 06:46 PM
More importantly, how in hell is there going to be a 6th book? It is already annoying as can be having to wait two years to read one, but this last end has me completely puzzled about how there can even be a continuation.
+ How could Harry deny Ginny? you know they are hooking up later

Maybe Harry will become head of the Aurors, he could have if he wasn't so stubborn and stupid.

Dynasty
08-13-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
More importantly, how in hell is there going to be a 6th book?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean 7th book since there are already six.

The answer seems simple. The 7th (and final) book will pick up where the last book left off and show the last part of Harry's journey to it's natural conclusion- his final confrontation with Voldemort.

08-13-2005, 07:12 PM
but what if voldemorts last horcrux is snape

Dynasty
08-13-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but what if voldemorts last horcrux is snape

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't make any sense. We already know what the six horcurxes are: Riddle's diary, Slytherin's/ ring, Slytherin's locket, Hufflepuff's cup, Nagini, and something of Ravenclar's or Gryffindor's.

08-13-2005, 07:23 PM
ok, explain why malfoy is such a little bitch and can't do such an easy task for the darklord

08-13-2005, 07:24 PM
I haven't has a chance to discuss this book with anyone yet and it is killing. I have my suspicions about a lot of things. Mainly Snape is killing someone, possibly ginny

Dynasty
08-13-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't has a chance to discuss this book with anyone yet and it is killing.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.cosforums.com/

ChipWrecked
08-13-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
More importantly, how in hell is there going to be a 6th book?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean 7th book since there are already six.

The answer seems simple. The 7th (and final) book will pick up where the last book left off and show the last part of Harry's journey to it's natural conclusion- his final confrontation with Voldemort.

[/ QUOTE ]

And, there is no particular reason why it should end with Harry's exit from Hogwarts. His character could go on indefinitely, if Rowling so desired.

Dynasty
08-13-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And, there is no particular reason why it should end with Harry's exit from Hogwarts. His character could go on indefinitely, if Rowling so desired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rowling has stated she isn't interested in continuing the story beyond the seventh book. I believe she wants to to a crime story as her next project.

She has said she might do an 8th Harry Potter book which would be a collection of her notes. It wouldn't be a new story.

To my dissapointment, she seems completely unwilling to allow other authors to write in the HP Universe.