PDA

View Full Version : computer is down!

sublime
08-13-2005, 04:04 AM
yo-

im on the laptop right now. check this out. i go to jump in the fart sack, and after taking care of some forearm exercises, i am just sitting there thinking about life and stuff. i hear this 'ding' from the desktop (kinda like the one PT makes when its done exporting player notes) i pay little attention to it. then i get up cuz i want to check on something and the computer is off, but then restarts until it gets to the windows screen then shuts off again and immediayly restarts. i tried unplugging it, and then restarting...that didnt work.....what the hell is going on? is my harddrive fried?

[censored]
08-13-2005, 04:15 AM
no need to thank me bro (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=techhelp)

sublime
08-13-2005, 04:18 AM
i knew it was there. i am not waiting a week for an answer when so many people read OOT.

touchfaith
08-13-2005, 04:21 AM
harddrive dead, doubtful
video card fried, possibly

sounds like its resetting at the point of resolution change.

sublime
08-13-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
harddrive dead, doubtful

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, the tower itself restarts. the windows scree (black behind etc) when you have to wait a few seconds. it gets there, then 'click' and starts over....

why would the tower do that if the video card was fried? not doubting you, just curious.

pokerdirty
08-13-2005, 04:30 AM
http://www.chuosangio.co.jp/image/mac%20g5.jpg

you can thank me later

sublime
08-13-2005, 04:31 AM
i will, but for what?

touchfaith
08-13-2005, 04:31 AM
When a video card fries, often times only a portion of the logic chips are blown, or even a memory chip on the card, each of which can cause a reset.

Just a guess.

When a reset is duplicatable, it typically means a defective component (in this case, since it sounds like it is switching video modes, we guess video card)

When a reset is random, it typically means faulty solder joints (cold solder joint) or a shorting problem. Since this is not occuring and I'm guessing you didn't open the case and upgrade anything on your way to the can, I tend to rule this out.

pokerdirty
08-13-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i will, but for what?

[/ QUOTE ]

when you make the switch and get rid of win-doze

sublime
08-13-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When a video card fries, often times only a portion of the logic chips are blown, or even a memory chip on the card, each of which can cause a reset.

Just a guess.

When a reset is duplicatable, it typically means a defective component (in this case, since it sounds like it is switching video modes, we guess video card)

When a reset is random, it typically means faulty solder joints (cold solder joint) or a shorting problem. Since this is not occuring and I'm guessing you didn't open the case and upgrade anything on your way to the can, I tend to rule this out.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, now how do i know which video card it is? does the ower have one built in? i added one for my second LCD....

kurosh
08-13-2005, 04:34 AM
mine used to do this. ended up being the power supply.

sublime
08-13-2005, 04:34 AM
it doesnt sound like windows is the issue.

[censored], i hope i didnt lose any files.

runner4life7
08-13-2005, 04:37 AM
macs suck, unless you are doing some form of media editing there is no reason to get a mac, unless you hate your life then i guess one could argue thats a reason.

touchfaith
08-13-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
mine used to do this. ended up being the power supply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Power supply is the other very real possibility.

Crack the case, listen for the click you hear. If it is coming from the power supply, it is most likely the culprit.

If not, since you have a second video card installed, disable the onboard, the secondary will default to primary and test.

Reverse and test again....

Gotta hit the sheets...

GL

sublime
08-13-2005, 04:42 AM
like the plug on the wall?

i know zilch about computers

wacki
08-13-2005, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
like the plug on the wall?

i know zilch about computers

[/ QUOTE ]

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006B6TD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

wacki
08-13-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it doesnt sound like windows is the issue.

[censored], i hope i didnt lose any files.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your files are most likely fine.

Alobar
08-13-2005, 05:00 AM
could be your power supply. Maybe your RAM, the fact it does it at the exact same spot in the boot process makes me wonder tho. You try booting it into safe mode (hit F8 when its at the first screen)

sublime
08-13-2005, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
could be your power supply. Maybe your RAM, the fact it does it at the exact same spot in the boot process makes me wonder tho. You try booting it into safe mode (hit F8 when its at the first screen)

[/ QUOTE ]

just did....no go /images/graemlins/frown.gif

wacki
08-13-2005, 05:22 AM
I'm talking to Sublime on AIM. He says he sees the windows bootup screen then it reboots. Anyone think a windows reinstall/fix/repair is a good fix here?

Benholio
08-13-2005, 05:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking to Sublime on AIM. He says he sees the windows bootup screen then it reboots. Anyone think a windows reinstall/fix/repair is a good fix here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably.

Although I recommend backing up anything you want to keep after that. I had a system act similar recently, and reinstalling windows fixed it, but only temporarily. It turned out to be a hard drive problem.

You said safe mode didn't help, did it try to boot into safe mode and reboot itself again, or did it not even try to go into safe mode? Also, what about safe mode/command prompt only?

ChipWrecked
08-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Worm and/or trojan.

Reinstall Windows and get some prophylactics for your box.

touchfaith
08-13-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Still doesn't sound like a software issue to me.

Any update?

stabn
08-13-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
harddrive dead, doubtful

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, the tower itself restarts. the windows scree (black behind etc) when you have to wait a few seconds. it gets there, then 'click' and starts over....

why would the tower do that if the video card was fried? not doubting you, just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinman pulled that answer out of his ass. Ignore it.

stabn
08-13-2005, 01:45 PM
If you haven't yet try hitting F8 a bunch at boot until a menu shows up and then select 'Last Known Good'. If that does not work do it again and select VGA mode and see if that works. And finally if that does not work try it again and select safe mode (w/o networking). If you get into safe mode maybe try system restore. If one of these steps doesn't work i would probably just take it into a shop and let them know that you 100% want all your files kept before tehy start work on it.

stabn
08-13-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Worm and/or trojan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect.

touchfaith
08-13-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
harddrive dead, doubtful

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, right out of my ass. Fortunately, my ass has worked support for 18 years.

Your Safe Mode suggestion is valid as well. Please feel free to continue the diagnosis as I typically do not do this crap for free anyway...

Don't forget to pat yourself on the back as well.

wacki
08-13-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worm and/or trojan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. Sublime saw the windows bootup screen before crashing. His heatsink isn't hot. The computer crashes at the same point every time. I had him turn off the auto reboot when computer crashes. The error #'s he got were indicative of driver failure. Although it's still possible it's hardware, without a part swapout fest, I'm pretty certain he has to do a Windows repair.

wacki
08-13-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

pokerdirty
08-13-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.chuosangio.co.jp/image/mac%20g5.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

stabn
08-13-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worm and/or trojan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. Sublime saw the windows bootup screen before crashing. His heatsink isn't hot. The computer crashes at the same point every time. I had him turn off the auto reboot when computer crashes. The error #'s he got were indicative of driver failure. Although it's still possible it's hardware, without a part swapout fest, I'm pretty certain he has to do a Windows repair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect was worm/trojan.

Which driver and which exact error code?
Repair from windows repair console instead?
Had he updated any drivers lately? Done windows update lately? Did he try last known good yet or just safe mode?

stabn
08-13-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
harddrive dead, doubtful

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Safe Mode suggestion is valid as well. Please feel free to continue the diagnosis as I typically do not do this crap for free anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]

Jumping right to video given everything that happens at that point in boot is a bit premature though, don't you think? Honing in on an exact thing with that little information is not very good troublehsooting.

touchfaith
08-13-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
harddrive dead, doubtful

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jumping right to video given everything that happens at that point in boot is a bit premature though, don't you think? Honing in on an exact thing with that little information is not very good troublehsooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the man...run with it.

wacki
08-13-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which driver and which exact error code?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh... One of them was 0xC000021A, I don't remember what the other one was.

[ QUOTE ]
Repair from windows repair console instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

The man didn't even know what the lights on the front of the computer were for. It took me from 3:48:14 AM to 6 AM to get as far as I did with him. If you want to guide him through Dr.Watson feel free. It was 6 AM and I was so tired I felt like I was going to puke.

[ QUOTE ]
Had he updated any drivers lately? Done windows update lately?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't ask. He can't even remember when the last time he updated his antivirus. Since he couldn't get into windows and safe mode wasn't working I pretty much assumed he was screwed.

[ QUOTE ]
Did he try last known good yet or just safe mode?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the above.

touchfaith
08-13-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Had he updated any drivers lately? Done windows update lately?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, it sounds like he is in "great" hands.

wacki
08-13-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean malicious software in general, what makes you rule this out so early? I've had this problem occur before. Sublime complained about slow performance before the crash.

zoomOut
08-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Thinman you're the man. I respect your advice.

Got a new HP computer. After one week my screen, mouse, keyboard locked up while I was in the middle of browsing OOT. I had to power it down and restart. Has been happening 2-3x a week for the past four months. Major problem for me.

Sometimes the monitor looks all jiggly when this happens. What is it?
(Best Buy says to bring it on in and they will send it up to Cleveland for diagnosis. wtf? I paid like $850 for this stupid thing.)

touchfaith
08-13-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thinman you're the man. I respect your advice.

Got a new HP computer. After one week my screen, mouse, keyboard locked up while I was in the middle of browsing OOT. I had to power it down and restart. Has been happening 2-3x a week for the past four months. Major problem for me.

Sometimes the monitor looks all jiggly when this happens. What is it?
(Best Buy says to bring it on in and they will send it up to Cleveland for diagnosis. wtf? I paid like $850 for this stupid thing.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I don't want to hijack this thread, so last one, k...

Anyway, random lock ups are difficult to diagnose, but in this case, since it is a new unit, I don't personally mess around. If it where my unit, I would...

- Backup anything vital..
- Run the recovery CD that ships with all HP units and get it back to square one.
- re-load the absolute minimal software you need to test (in this case, not much, just take all the windows updates
- Test

If it locked up even once on me at this point, I would return it to the retailer and request a replacement.

If they will not replace do to time of purchase, take their suggestions and have it sent in.

GL

zoomOut
08-13-2005, 03:04 PM
very good. Thanks /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

stabn
08-13-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean malicious software in general, what makes you rule this out so early? I've had this problem occur before. Sublime complained about slow performance before the crash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall there simply isn't enough information to jump to a conclusion like trojan/worm yet. It may be possible, but it isn't a smart place to start.

Given what you've done so far i think he needs someone who can access the system themselves to look at it (whether that is a friend or a shop), instead of working with OOT.

ChipWrecked
08-13-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Overall there simply isn't enough information to jump to a conclusion like trojan/worm yet. It may be possible, but it isn't a smart place to start.

Given what you've done so far i think he needs someone who can access the system themselves to look at it (whether that is a friend or a shop), instead of working with OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Running a scan with Adaware or Spybot isn't a smart place to start? And looking around for obscure hardware/driver issues is? I guess if you're a $100 an hour consultant,,,, must be good business.

sublime
08-13-2005, 11:42 PM
thanks guys, everyone for thier help.

i went to circuit city tonight to get something, and asekd one of the tech dudes what he thought. he advised me to bring it in, and would save my data. it will cose me $60 for a diagnosis and then they will call me with the problem and a quote. looks like windows will need to either reinstalled, or repaired and since my dumbass doesnt have a backup, i will need to purchase a copy. luckily a friend has sent me a copy from his universitry for a fraction of the retail price.

stabn
08-14-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Running a scan with Adaware or Spybot isn't a smart place to start? And looking around for obscure hardware/driver issues is? I guess if you're a $100 an hour consultant,,,, must be good business.

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't boot :P

sublime
08-14-2005, 12:43 AM
stab-

if its a windows/software issue, and i just need tghem to extract data, then i can bring it home and do the windows install/repair?

ChipWrecked
08-14-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't boot :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops. Read that as random rebooting.

Probably hardware. Or a driver. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

stabn
08-14-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
stab-

if its a windows/software issue, and i just need tghem to extract data, then i can bring it home and do the windows install/repair?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do the reinstall yes. You will have to reinstall all of your programs though.

sublime
08-14-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stab-

[/ QUOTE ]

You can do the reinstall yes. You will have to reinstall all of your programs though.

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually just scheduled an appointment with a 'on call geek'. at first glance they seem cheaper than circuit city or anything, plus they can probably bang out the issue right there. anyone have any expericance with service like this?

touchfaith
08-14-2005, 02:38 PM
So. Nothing was changed on the system, and it was in an idol state when it developed the reboot condition, and this is some strange driver issue?

Did deamons attack his drivers that are already in memory, sitting idol with no condition change?

And as a result, our first action is to rebuild the system, effectively throwing our hands in the air, even though spare hardware is available to test with (2nd video card, power supply from the bestbuy guy).

Give me a break.

sublime
08-14-2005, 03:28 PM
hey guys-

put away those teenage sized peckers and focus on whats important. me.

stabn
08-14-2005, 04:17 PM
A shop can check those all they want. Sublime isn't the type of guy who will have that hardware around to play with so there is no point in trying to get him to. That's the whole f'ing point of sending him to a shop in the first place really.

sublime
08-14-2005, 04:38 PM
ok, so the geek is coiming tomorrow. are there any fleecing techniques these guys use?

stabn
08-14-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, so the geek is coiming tomorrow. are there any fleecing techniques these guys use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never had one come /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

touchfaith
08-14-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A shop can check those all they want. Sublime isn't the type of guy who will have that hardware around to play with so there is no point in trying to get him to. That's the whole f'ing point of sending him to a shop in the first place really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to keep up...

[ QUOTE ]
ok, now how do i know which video card it is? does the ower have one built in? i added one for my second LCD....

[/ QUOTE ]

He has two video cards already.

stabn
08-14-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to keep up...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He has two video cards already.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he has one spare part. Yay.