PDA

View Full Version : first hand, plz critique

08-13-2005, 03:01 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (1.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (1.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 4.75 BB

ThaHero
08-13-2005, 03:03 AM
I halfway think this is a joke post.

If not, I probably fold this preflop.

Definately fold the river.

macdaddy991
08-13-2005, 03:06 AM
Terrible raise. The pot was microscopic, you had eight high, and a somewhat decent hand might call you. You have nothing to win there and a lot to lose. If you continue plays like this, you will lose a lot of money.

Online247
08-13-2005, 03:07 AM
Muck preflop. What exactly do you expect to get out of this post? If respect is what you are looking for with regards to your river bluff raise, dont' expect it. BTW welcome to the boards.

silkyslim
08-13-2005, 03:07 AM
its 5 to a straight buddy. you only have 4, not good enuff.

Online247
08-13-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
its 5 to a straight buddy. you only have 4, not good enuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH.

08-13-2005, 03:12 AM
misclicks?? or did you think you had the straight? I count the sequence on my fingers if its not obvious.

08-13-2005, 03:14 AM
i thought UTG+1 was bluffing because everyone checked through all streets and a 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif wont help anyone. So i raised his bluff. No good? it was the only chance i had to win. why no call pf?

macdaddy991
08-13-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought UTG+1 was bluffing because everyone checked through all streets and a 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif wont help anyone. So i raised his bluff. No good? it was the only chance i had to win. why no call pf?

[/ QUOTE ]

8/images/graemlins/club.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif is a good multi way hand. This hand was only going to be 3 handed.

Why bluff at such a small pot? Even if you think he is bluffing, what good will a bluff reraise do with such a small payoff. Fold and move on to the next hand.

Rev. Good Will
08-13-2005, 03:19 AM
fold PF

I'd rather semi-bluff bet the turn rather than pure bluff-raise the river. you have more ways to win by doing the first choice.

I hope you had some sort of read where you knew you had enough fold equity to do something like that.

EDIT - all assuming you realllly want that small ass pot... guily pleasure/leak of mine is taking stabs at small pots, not a good habit nevertheless

detruncate
08-13-2005, 03:26 AM
Welcome to the forum. I don't limp this hand unless there are multiple loose/passive players behind me. Probably too far from the button to think about iso raising without ideal circumstances. A pf fold seems like the way to go.

Your best chance of taking this pot down is on the turn. You most likely have 15 outs once it checks through to you again. If you intend to spend any more bets UI, now is the time.

I understand where you're coming from on the river, but the pot is way too small to invest 2 BB. Time to eject.

Include reads in your post if you want decent replies. Some commentary would also be good. It's too much to expect people to put effort into their replies if you don't put any into your post.

08-13-2005, 03:33 AM
Thank you all for your constructive comments. I realized what I did wrong. First of all, I shouldn't limp with this hand so early with only 1 caller. I need nice odds for hitting my str8 or flush, and im just not getting them. The turn would be the spot for a stab, as I have a FD, so it would be a semi-bluff. However, the pot is too small to try bluffing. It might work, but I am risking a bet to win less than 2, so it has to work too often to be +EV. The river raise, in hindsight, is awful. He will call with any piece most likely, and I would have wasted 2 bets to stab at 3. Also, without reads this play is more terrible. Thanks again and I will continue to improve my game with your help.

NobodysFreak
08-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Fold PF or raise it.

Greg J
08-13-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why bluff at such a small pot? Even if you think he is bluffing, what good will a bluff reraise do with such a small payoff. Fold and move on to the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
What he said. Yr 4 straight is no good. Most of the time you are getting called here. This pot is not worth fighting over.

Greg J
08-13-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all for your constructive comments. I realized what I did wrong. First of all, I shouldn't limp with this hand so early with only 1 caller. I need nice odds for hitting my str8 or flush, and im just not getting them. The turn would be the spot for a stab, as I have a FD, so it would be a semi-bluff. However, the pot is too small to try bluffing. It might work, but I am risking a bet to win less than 2, so it has to work too often to be +EV. The river raise, in hindsight, is awful. He will call with any piece most likely, and I would have wasted 2 bets to stab at 3. Also, without reads this play is more terrible. Thanks again and I will continue to improve my game with your help.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good to see you can 1) take criticism and 2) understand yr mistakes. Keep it up and yl do fine. Welcome to the brds.

OrianasDaad
08-13-2005, 12:08 PM
You can't be sure that the 7 missed him, since you have no information about his hand, other than it's probably not great.

You are risking two bets to win 2.75 bets. You'll need him to fold here ~42% of the time or more for your bluff to be profitable. An unpaired hand will make a pair before the river about 53% of the time. Your raise is clearly -EV without a very good read.

This doesn't even take into account that the pot is three-handed, and you could get 3-bet.

mojobluesman
08-13-2005, 01:18 PM
I would fold this pre-flop unless I "knew" there were multiple loose passives coming after me.

tiltaholic
08-13-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are currently my favorite new poster.

keep it up and welcome to the forum.

ProsperousOne
08-13-2005, 03:40 PM
First, I assume from your post that you have not yet read SSHE. (Since I had no friggin idea what that was when I first saw it either, it's Small Stake Hold'em, by Sklansky Malmouth and Miller, the owners of 2+2)...
Read it. With a highlighter in your hand. And a Pen in the other.
Then re-read it. Then buy another copy, becaues by now, your book should be falling apart (mine has almost lasted through the 2nd reading).

Secondly, I'd HIGHLY recommend you step down to micro limits, 0.25/.5 or even 0.05/0.1 until you can cat least break even.... Unless you've got a poop load of money to burn while you learn.

Third, read the ML Guidelines/FAQ... Lots of good info there.

Fourthly (is that a word?), while you're waiting for your book to come in (that you've ordered form the book store here lol) check out BonusWhoring.com and RakeRebateReview.com.

Fifth, spend a lot of time reading here.

Best of Luck.