PDA

View Full Version : Is the "coin flip" a necessary evil late in tourneys?

cero_z
03-26-2003, 02:07 AM
I feel I've been misplaying these hands lately, and I wanted to get some input. Say there are 4 players left in an online tourney that pays the top 3, and everyone has approximately equal stacks. Most hands are over pre-flop, with no showdown. Players have shown a willingness to go all-in with 2 big cards (AQ, AJ, KQ) and all pairs, and I have TT. Is it worth it to go all-in here, knowing that in the great majority of cases I'll be a 13-10 favorite, and a small number of times i'll be either a big dog or big favorite? I generally tend to play better post-flop than my opponents in these small buy-in ($50 down to $10) single table events. But, I run into this problem often: do I "flip a coin", trying to double through and greatly improve my shot at the lion's share (50%), or do I play cautiously, let someone else double up, and be happy with 2nd or 3rd?
This is where I think luck plays a much bigger role in online play, since in a live situation, I'd have physical information about my opponents that would steer me right. Am I wrong? Is the course obvious? All comments appreciated.

ohkanada
03-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Not sure if it is a necessary evil but it may be the reality.

4 handed TT is a very nice hand. So yeah I would raise with it almost everytime 4 handed. The decision to go all-in rather than make a 3xBB type raise is based on your stack as well as the other stacks. Now if instead someone else raises all-in and you have TT, then it is a tougher choice. If the raiser is going all-in often but always has either overcards or a bigger pair then calling is probably not correct. But if the raiser often shows small pairs or big/little then calling is likely correct.

Ken Poklitar