PDA

View Full Version : Poker Academy Pro - Simulations

MarkD
08-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Yah, another post on this software. I went through a quick search of the past 5 weeks and nothing seemed to answer my question.

First things first. I don't care about playing against this software. I won't be doing it. Not in ring games, or no limit, or tournaments - I'm not interesting in playing poker as a video game.

Second. I've downloaded the demo. I can't seem to find the feature that I want. In Turbo Texas Holdem you could set up specific situations with a certain table of players and then play that situation x number of times and it would give you a report of the results.

For example: I want to know how profitable it is for a tight player to open raise from the cutoff with Q9o against a tight button, semi-loose SB and loose to semi-loose BB in a half blind structure. Also, exactly how profitable? The computer opponents would ahve to play the hand out with betting and raising.

Although I never used TTH much I know it has the capability to simulate this. In the demo I can not find any way to achieve anything similar.

So my question is simple: Does it have this capability? If the answer is yes could you please provide an explanation of where I would find this feature in the demo (even if I can't use it I want to see the interface and see what I could do with it) and maybe display an example report that it generated.

Sniper
08-13-2005, 04:27 AM
Poker Academy Pro has a hand evaluator and a showdown calculator. You can also set the hand to always be dealt, hold the button position, and let the bots fight it out on any table.

These features are not active in the demo.

Trantor
08-13-2005, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can also set the hand to always be dealt, hold the button position, and let the bots fight it out on any table.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as i can find, Poker Academy Pro does _not_ allow you to do this. You can set the hands and opponent bots up ok but you have to play each hand manually as one of the players. If you have actually managed this it would be appreciated if you could post how you edited a table so there are bots at it and no human player.

barongreenback
08-13-2005, 09:30 AM
I checked out PA pro because I was looking for TTH style simulations for NL/PL. I found no evidence of this so I didn't buy it. Like you, I'm looking for a research tool not a game. I know that doing NL sims would be difficult but even with basic AI I could still get good info.

James

Trantor
08-13-2005, 10:11 AM
All bot play is, in fact, possible by setting the human player's bankroll to zero (so you sit out every hand) and letting the bots play the CO (with Q9o every time), button, Sb and BB in this example. You can tailor the tigtness of the bots as you wish but I don't see how you can force the tight CO bot to raise it's fixed Q9o hand every time, though.

Sniper
08-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Trantor, I see that you answered your own first question... setting your bankroll to 0 lets the bots play each other without human intervention.

The answer to the second question would be to use the API to setup a simple bot to play the hand any way you wanted it to play. (for NL testing you could probably configure XENBOT)

MarkD
08-13-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker Academy Pro has a hand evaluator and a showdown calculator. You can also set the hand to always be dealt, hold the button position, and let the bots fight it out on any table.

[/ QUOTE ]

The showdown calculator is, active for one hand, in the demo but to be honest it isn't nearly as good as the free program - PokerStove.

I am unsure of what the hand evaluator does though...

Anyways, it doesn't look like poker academy does what I want it to (without a lot of work on my side) so my question has been answered.