PDA

View Full Version : Classic (and not so classic) Monster Movies

Wyers
08-12-2005, 11:51 PM
Swede123's post about horror films (specifically The Fly) got me to thinking about the monster movies they would show on television when I was a kid.

When I would return home from school (probably somewhere between the ages of 8 and 9) one of the television stations would run movies from 4 until 5. Sometimes they were edited down so they could fit into the one hour time slot. Otherwise they would run Part 1 on Monday and air the conclusion on Tuesday. Each week offered a new theme - sci-fi (Fantastic Voyage, Journey to the Centre of the Earth), Godzilla Week (vs. Mothra being the highlight of course), Monster (King Kong, The Wolfman, Dracula), Mad Scientist (The Fly, Dr. Jeckyl).

Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney, little Japanese men running in fear from Godzilla, those Damn dirty Apes!!

Dr. Morbius, Fay Wray, Steve McQueen battling... a Blob?

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack!!!

And who could forget the family. Kong, Godzilla, Frankenstein and Dracula all had sons. Frankenstein (almost) took a bride.

I'm 34 now but I still remember watching and loving those movies when I was a kid. At the time, it felt like I was watching monster movies after school for years...but I'm sure it was only a couple of months before the station moved on to something else.

Naturally many of these movies did not age very well but I'm sure they could still be appreciated by an 8 year old boy (and maybe only by an 8 year old boy /images/graemlins/smirk.gif ).

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Sounds like 'Creature Features'

Happy Hour
08-13-2005, 01:38 AM
I rarely got to watch these as a kid because my mom wouldn't let us. It was probably a good thing, though, because I was pretty sensitive as a kid.

I still remember some Japanese movie I saw when I was about 7 where these kids were getting turned into bird monsters. Creeped me the hell out for weeks.

offTopic
08-13-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Swede123's post about horror films (specifically The Fly) got me to thinking about the monster movies they would show on television when I was a kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to horribly date myself here, but when I was a kid, the local ABC affiliate didn't start prime time until 8p, so they would run the so-called "Million Dollar Movie" from 6-8.

Same format, crime, Japanese Kaiju, Vincent Price movies...good times. I loved this one movie "The Raven" with Price, Karloff, and Peter Lorre. The duel at the end was a special effects masterpiece (for the 1960s).

I catch this movie many years later on Sci-Fi or something, and only then do I notice that the prince (in tights, no less) is Jack Nicholson! Weird.

2planka
08-16-2005, 09:11 AM
You should watch Shaun of the Dead.

Los Feliz Slim
08-16-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just finally saw this, and cannot believe it took me as long as it did. This movie was awesome. Comedy+gore=A+.

Wyers
08-16-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw it at the theatre - great flick.

IronDragon1
08-16-2005, 11:41 AM
http://www.mgm.com/mgm/images/box-dvd/BLACULA-box_hires_dvd.jpg

Funk-ay

imported_The Vibesman
08-16-2005, 11:49 AM