PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix my T.V.(cable?)

David04
08-12-2005, 10:15 PM
About a year ago, we purchased this (http://www.e-daewoo.com/product_detail.asp?productid=125)
T.V. It has worked great thus far, no complaints. We had basic cable until a few months ago, when we switched to digital cable on this TV(we have another TV which still has basic cable).

Anyways, about a week ago our TV stopped working. As far as watching DVD's or playing videogames goes, it works fine. It gets no reception for the cable though. I checked all the settings, nothing got changed around, so I don't think that was it.

The basic cable for the other television works fine, as does my cable internet access. I doubt that my TV is the problem, since it will play DVD's/videogames. Is there anything I can do, besides calling the cable company and have them check it out?

Thanks.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Cable straight to TV from cable box? Or daisy-chained through a DVD/AV unit?

MagicMan08
08-12-2005, 10:19 PM
I have heard this before, one of my buddies rents went from like reg cable to the digital box and it messed up their tv kinda real bad...

Jimbo
08-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Rescan for chanels, that may solve your dilemma.

David04
08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
As far as I can tell(tough to see behind cable box/TV)there is a cable going into the cable box, and another that comes out. I assume one goes to the TV and another goes to the cable source.

David04
08-12-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rescan for chanels, that may solve your dilemma.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do I go about doing this?

Jimbo
08-12-2005, 10:34 PM
I made the rescan suggestion when I thought you had no cable box. Two things to check now,

1) Be sure the cable did not become disconnected from your TV.
2) Be sure your Tv is tuned both to the correct input and to channel three.

What does the display on your cable box display? Just trying to be sure it hasn't failed.

David04
08-12-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I made the rescan suggestion when I thought you had no cable box. Two things to check now,

What does the display on your cable box display? Just trying to be sure it hasn't failed.

[/ QUOTE ]
TV is set to channel 3. All the cables are connected, as far as I can tell. The cable box still has the power light on, clock shows up, Record button comes on when something is set to record. Whenever I change the channel on the box, I hear different noises like a different channel is one.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as I can tell(tough to see behind cable box/TV)there is a cable going into the cable box, and another that comes out. I assume one goes to the TV and another goes to the cable source.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to diagnose in a few sentences, but...

Assuming your cable, DVD and Game console are all using different inputs to your TV...

Disconnect the offending TV's cable input and connect it to your other TV (do not change anything else).

If the problem follows the TV...

Get your other cable box and replace the offending unit with it...test.

If the problem does not follow, you may have a problem with the cable input on the offending TV. Check all connections If all connections are sound...check the physical cable input on the offending TV for damage (is it situated where it can get hit with a vaccum?

(ps...wrong forum) /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

David04
08-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but it will be difficult for me to put connect the other TV to this cable line. Also, this is almost certainly not the worng forum.

Jimbo
08-12-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
TV is set to channel 3. All the cables are connected, as far as I can tell. The cable box still has the power light on, clock shows up, Record button comes on when something is set to record. Whenever I change the channel on the box, I hear different noises like a different channel is one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! You have a DVR box then. I see your Tv is not an HD model. The likely culprit is that someone changed the cable box to output a signal incompatible with your TV. Such as 480P, 720P or 1080i.

Is your STB (Cable Box) made by Motorola or Scientific Atlanta.

PS: Thinman's suggestions were all very good and should be performed first.

David04
08-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Scientific Atlanta.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! You have a DVR box then. I see your Tv is not an HD model. The likely culprit is that someone changed the cable box to output a signal incompatible with your TV. Such as 480P, 720P or 1080i.

Is your STB (Cable Box) made by Motorola or Scientific Atlanta.

PS: Thinman's suggestions were all very good and should be performed first.

[/ QUOTE ]

No no, that's a great call, definately try any suggestion 'setting' related before dragging equipment around the house. Especially when things are in tight quarters.

Jimbo
08-12-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Scientific Atlanta.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad, I could walk you through the sequence on a Motorola DCT-6412 blindfolded but have never used a Sci Atl STB,

Try this forum www.avs.com (http://www.avs.com) or better yet just click Here (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=42) and select the proper topic. Ther are over a thousand posts in the correct topic but you can be sure to find the answer in there. Your STB is either an SA-8300 or SA-8000 (Dual or single tuner models).

Good luck,

Jimbo