PDA

View Full Version : Divorced

mslif
08-12-2005, 09:55 PM
I noticed a lot of threads and/or replies about happy married couples... I was wondering how many people on this forum are actually divorced.

touchfaith
08-12-2005, 10:00 PM
[planned deletion]

Consider yourself special if you where able to get a glimse of my personal life before it got delete/quoted

Barry
08-12-2005, 10:06 PM
I got divorced about 2 years ago after about 20 years of marrige. The financial settlement sucked, but my 2 teenage boys got over it and I married a great woman. We have a wonderful 19 month old daughter.

The trauma is always hard, but it's better than staying in a marrige devoid of love.

sublime
08-12-2005, 10:12 PM
I married a great woman

i can attest to her hotness anyways. barry got skillz.

zoomOut
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Oh Christ why do you people do that? I want to know your weird story thinman. Just make something up and repost.

mslif
08-12-2005, 10:18 PM
I am happy to hear you found someone else and that you were able to trust again. It gives some hope to people like me.

Barry
08-12-2005, 10:42 PM
I would smack you for that; but AngelFish appreciated the complement. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

kdog
08-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Multiple times. Now I'm back with the 2nd ex but neither one of us wants to say I do again.

sublime
08-12-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would smack you for that; but AngelFish appreciated the complement. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant it in a nice way /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ddubois
08-12-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got divorced about 2 years ago... 19 month old daughter.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you knocked up some other girl while still married?

mslif
08-13-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got divorced about 2 years ago... 19 month old daughter.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you knocked up some other girl while still married?

[/ QUOTE ]

Divorce proceedings may take a while to be finalized

ddubois
08-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Yes, and they should be finalized before getting entangled in a relationship with someone else. Not just out of 'respect for the institution of marriage', but because it's best everyone involved, particularly the rebound girl. At least, that what Dr. Joy Browne would say.

touchfaith
08-13-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, and they should be finalized before getting entangled in a relationship with someone else. Not just out of 'respect for the institution of marriage', but because it's best everyone involved, particularly the rebound girl. At least, that what Dr. Joy Browne would say.

[/ QUOTE ]

And thus we see why my post was intentially posted/deleted.

Don't judge dude, you know nothing about this persons situation.

mslif
08-13-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And thus we see why my post was intentially posted/deleted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am starting to think I did the right thing by not posting my story.

ddubois
08-13-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Untrue. I know this much:

I got divorced about 2 years ago after about 20 years of marrige. The financial settlement sucked, but my 2 teenage boys got over it and I married a great woman. We have a wonderful 19 month old daughter. The trauma is always hard, but it's better than staying in a marrige devoid of love.

That's actually alot of information. Should I judge him based on this much? Probably not. But then, I didn't say: "I have concluded you are a bad person", nor anything to that effect. Perhaps I judged the situation, and found it to be sub-optimal. I don't need anyone's permission to form an initial impression; people do it on this forum a thousand times a day.

ddubois
08-13-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am starting to think I did the right thing by not posting my story.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you say this? Do you feel your story might embarrass you, or that you have something to be ashamed of? If for some reason you give a rat's ass what people in OOT think about your life and your choices, then yes, perhaps you did the right thing.

I am of the opinion that if your marriage is really bad, you should: 1) work on it, 2) work on it some more, 3) proceed with divorce, 4) finalize the divorce, 5) take some time introspective time off from relationships in general, 6) start dating; and that those steps should be done in that order. Again, not out of respect for marriage in general, nor your own marriage in particular - maybe your wife was evil incarnate - but because it's best for you, and it's best for any new woman who would have to deal with your emotional baggage.

zoomOut
08-13-2005, 01:07 AM
The one year rule right? Dr. Joy would be proud of you. Sounds good in theory but implementing it is a feat. Love doesn't always play by rules even when people who set them have the best intentions.

Happy Hour
08-13-2005, 01:20 AM
I am. Was married for five years. Thankfully, we had no children.

I have to agree with getting it over with before dating again. If for no other reason than to not have to explain to prospective girlfriends why you are still technically married.

Barry
08-13-2005, 02:10 AM
Listen pal...

I really don't need to explain myself to you, but for starters my ex and I had been separated for over 2 years before my current wife became pregnant. Divorces take a long time.

EliteNinja
08-13-2005, 03:30 AM
50% of all marriages end in divorce.
That's a very sad fact.

Another sad fact is that the other 50% of marriages end in death.

08-13-2005, 03:31 AM
BRILLIANT!

scrub
08-13-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as we're saying nice things about AngelFish, she's one of the few women--and the only twoplustwo significant other I'm aware of--who fit in perfectly at a twoplustwo home game. She can 3-bet blind with the best of them.

Barry's not so bad either.../images/graemlins/smile.gif

scrub

ddubois
08-13-2005, 07:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard this is a myth FWIW.

mslif
08-13-2005, 10:15 AM
I do not think my story would embarrassed me. The realization that my marriage was over was one the most devastating feeling I ever had. I just do not want to stir up old feelings. My ex-husband cheated and I'll leave it at that

Arnfinn Madsen
08-13-2005, 10:20 AM
I am legally separated (the step before divorce in Norway) but my ex-wife and I have gotten together again and despite many well-intended warnings that it is not so smart, our relationship now is better than ever (hope it lasts /images/graemlins/smile.gif).

mslif
08-13-2005, 10:26 AM
I wish you luck, it is great to hear you are back together.

jason_t
08-13-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The realization that my marriage was over was one the most devastating feeling I ever had. [...] My ex-husband cheated and I'll leave it at that

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bluffoon
08-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Happily divorced six years.

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-13-2005, 10:29 AM
17+ years and Mrs. Milo still plans to keep me. Or so she says.

Dex
08-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Wow, how did I miss this thread?

I'm divorced. See here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Number=3064946).

Sponger15SB
08-13-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard this is a myth FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030124.html

"Half of U.S. marriages haven't ended in divorce yet"

Indiana
08-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I am as of this morning.
Indy

mslif
08-13-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am as of this morning.
Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Your divorce was final today? or did you separate today?

TimM
08-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Did she discover OOT and read your posts? Or are you going to try for your own Russian mail-order bride?

Indiana
08-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Its not final yet, but its over...and no, i aint goin for a mail order bride...im only 29 man...

Indy

mslif
08-13-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its not final yet, but its over...and no, i aint goin for a mail order bride...im only 29 man...

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry... /images/graemlins/frown.gif