PDA

View Full Version : low entry fee SNG

08-12-2005, 09:36 PM
$5 SNG. First hand I call a raise from the SB and then fold a post-flop all-in. 15th hand I win a pot on the river without showing my hand. Though I may have limped into another pot, I haven't put any other money in post flop.

21st hand, 8 players left, 10/20 blinds, I'm 3rd to act with A5o. Two folds to me. I haven't been active, so maybe they'll believe me when I raise here, so I raise to 60. SB and BB call. Flop is 65Q rainbow.

Checked to me. Since neither of the blinds have owned up to having anything, I put in 100 (pot was 180). SB folds, BB calls.

I figure I've put in enough to chase off any straight draws (not that 87 was a likely holding), so the BB ought to have something like QJ or QT (AQ or KQ might have put more in pre-flop or check raised here), or maybe a middle pair, to be calling my bet here; I'm probably beat.

I'm ready to give up (I would have folded in the face of a raise), but the hand is checked to the end. A 2 and a 9 come on the turn and river and the BB shows A9s and wins with a pair of nines.

This player wasn't getting the odds he needed to call my bet after the flop, so I should be happy in the long run. I'm not upset by the result. But, at the same time, I'm wondering if there is something I am missing. It's not really reasonable to make another stab at the pot on the turn, is it? If the players I face routinely make these calls, I'll win money in the long run (in fact, I won this SNG), but is there something more I should be doing to take full advantage?

Anyway, comments on my thinking would be appreciated.

TheSalche
08-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Easy answer, if you're playing against calling stations, the best way to win is to raise big with your hands, hope for some calls, and then get paid off with big bets after the flop, etc. Don't try to bluff at these low limits, as people will call you down with ace high or bottom pair.