PDA

View Full Version : $100+9s back to the $10s

Ogre
08-12-2005, 08:35 PM
I currently 8 tabling the $100s. I am working on a side project of teaching my cousin how to play the 10s. He has never really played poker before but picked it up pretty quickly. Its been a while since I've played the 10s though and I was wondering what some of the major changes I have to make from my game to fit the playing style of the 10s?
Also any advice about teaching a player who has never played in general.

Thanks

lastchance
08-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Watch your FE go down a lot. People will call without regard to stack-sizes, gap concept, and pretty much everything you've learned at 2+2 about push/folding.

You need to adapt to this by not shoving any 2 as big stack against donks.

Also, don't try to make too many good laydowns. Folding QQ on a J53 board can be easy at the $109's. At the $11's, wow, that's hard.

Ryendal
08-12-2005, 08:49 PM
IMO at 11$ they are big caller. It's difficult to chase away with your QQ etc in early game.
In the end you have to increase the calling range of your opponnent too ...
They play "BIG bluff" too

All this stuff make me believe that finally, you should play some little better hand than the one you play at 109$.
And play really agressively your QQ+
On AK at 11$ I have a problem.
You have to make a big bet to really avoid 2 limpers, and in the same time you have only 800 stack. So if you play AK you should to be prepared to ga allin. Happily you will get called by some crap like A2+ QJ preflop, enough to make AK +ev ...

octaveshift
08-12-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO at 11$ they are big caller.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your native language? I am guessing Japanese....

Ryendal
08-12-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] What is your native language? I am guessing Japanese....

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm from europe. And I know my english is bad and poor, if you don't understand, do not hesitate to ask me

Ryendal
08-12-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is your native language? I am guessing Japanese.... [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] No, I'm from europe. And I know my english is bad and poor, if you don't understand, do not hesitate to ask me

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an idea on the purpose of your post. Since japanese have not the word "I"
I could have forget a H in IMO

psyduck
08-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Why don't you show him that sheet that details how you should play 10+1s? It's a large word document..

Ogre
08-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Because I think he will learn alot faster if i teach him while we play side by side. And that sheet tells you how to beat them, not how to beat them for a high ROI

tjh
08-12-2005, 10:29 PM
I teach for a living... until I master the 100's. So here is some advice on how to teach the 10's.

Start with the basics.
Explain the basic goals for each stage of the tourney. Aleo's guide is a good start but extrapolate the general strategy first.

Something like...
You win tournies by taking advantage of the mistakes that other players make. Here are some of the mistakes that they seem to make and how we can capitalize on it.

Early in the tourney the maniac fish will be ruling the game. Too many hands will be played, they will be too loose.

Later in the game when it gets close to the money the players tend to play to tight.

As the game goes on the blind increase. This has a HUGE effect on game play. In early stages the amount of money that is automatically in the pot due to the blinds is INSIGNIFICANT. As the tourney moves on a higher percentage of all the chips in play will be in the middle and the blinds become worth fighting for.

So that lays the basic framework.

Then explain how to take advantage of these errors made by other players. Make sure he/she understands why they are making the moves that you advise.

Something like....
Early in the game.. Blinds are meaningless, players are maniacs or calling stations. How do we beat maniacs and calling stations ?? Wait for premium hands. basically fold fold fold.

Later on in the game.
Blinds are meaninful, well more significant. A few maniacs have busted out and the calling stations are short stacked. Play a few more hands. A few less players means that your hands increase in value, relatively. And the fools have probably busted out. Explain why playing against fools is actually hard, if everyone plays garbage then garbage is most likely to win, or something like that. I guess it is not hard to beat the fools but variance is high so we wait for a more reasonable time to make our move. Variance kills early on, survival is key. You would rather have 600 chips against 6 players than 800 against 10.

Late in the game..
Players tighten up blinds are significant.
How to take advantage of that ? Turn on the aggression. Raise more hands, steal the blinds.

Add some general poker strategy. The importance of position. How to judge a hands value, Use terms like top pair, middle pair, overpair etc. Get the noob to understand that a hands value has to do mostly with it's relation to the flop. Talk about putting other players on a hand. etc..

Also..
Most people learn by DOING !! You can lecture all you want and have him read a good book but until we witness our own two pair getting beat by the obvious flush on the board we do not KNOW to look out for the flush.

Some folks learn by watching, so he may benefit from watching you play but most likely he will have to play to learn.

Only PHD's and lawyers learn by reading and listening..they will have to play quite a few games.

Also....
I dunno general stuff that we all know that it is easy to forget that we know it. Such as Pocket pair strategy, odds of the set, the power of a set and when it is worth it to play a PP. Basic odds, start simple, odds of flush draw completing, OESD etc.

I dunno no need to go too deep into odds because SNG's at party are mostly a preflop bet followed by a post flop push or fold.

I hope that helps, Start with the basic strategy and then show how to implement the strategy.

Also when I first found this site and forum I was NOT a blind stealer. It was hard to believe that it worked so well. Let him know that blind stealing becomes a core part of the strategy somewhere around level 4. I kept a sheet of successful blind steals vs failed blind steals and after I saw the 70 % or higher success rate I was convinced. Make sure that he understands the power of key strategies such as aggression on the bubble etc..

Good luck with your student.

--
tjh

valenzuela
08-12-2005, 10:34 PM
you are an idiot , do you even speak a second language????

valenzuela
08-12-2005, 10:37 PM
maybe that was harsh...anyway I hate when ppl berate others who dont speak enlgish as a native language.

Misfire
08-12-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe that was harsh...anyway I hate when ppl berate others who dont speak enlgish as a native language.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you speak 3 languages, you're trilingual.
If you speak 2 languages, you're bilingual.
If you speak 1 language, you're an American.

valenzuela
08-12-2005, 10:54 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ryendal
08-12-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are an idiot , do you even speak a second language????

[/ QUOTE ]

for your information, the language use a place not larger than a hazel nut in the brain, called "the air of broca".
For my happyness, my brain is larger, which seems not be the case for you.

You do not make the difference between the form and the content.

To end my short answer, for me you are obvioulsly an idiot, and I almost never read your posts, do you see why ?

valenzuela
08-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Do I see why? No I dont see why, care to explain?

Ryendal
08-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Well I have better stuff than explain you how you are an idiot. May be you shoud consult a welfare officer.

valenzuela
08-12-2005, 11:27 PM
lets define "idiot" 1)foolish person. 2)mentally retarded.( according to collins dictionary).
1) I dont really think Im a foolish person, in fact I think Im rather smart.
2) Im defenitly not mentally retarded.
Dude I still dont see how I am an idiot /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ClaytonN
08-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Valnzuela, I strongly suggest you end this nonsense right now, or Citanul will tear you a new one.

It's one thing to berate someone who is foreign and speaks broken english (which I see no case of in this thread, correct me if I'm wrong), but it's another to completely hijack Ogre's thread with this bullcrap as you are doing.

I happen to understand Ryendal just fine, and he conveys his message well. I speak broken French but in my trips to Europe the natives generally appreciate it, because I'm making the effort to fit in with their culture and not inconvenience them. Same with Ryendal.

So stop. Now. Thanks.

valenzuela
08-12-2005, 11:33 PM
I just thought it was weird that I berated the berator and I got berated by the originally berated person. In fact I will never defend somebody who speaks broken english ever again, because suddenly I get involved in a thread and end up being the stupid teenager that hijacks a thread. Btw Ogre explainin someone that when u steal blinds in the bubble u will ocasionaly get called by QT is a pain in the ass....gl with it.

ClaytonN
08-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Listen, I don't fault you for your original confusion, but it's just better to ignore what the guy said and move on with the topic. If you feel so obliged to ask him what he was doing, PM him.

Ryendal
08-12-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just thought it was weird that I berated the berator and I got berated by the originally berated person. In fact I will never defend somebody who speaks broken english ever again, because suddenly I get involved in a thread and end up being the stupid teenager that hijacks a thread. Btw Ogre explainin someone that when u steal blinds in the bubble u will ocasionaly get called by QT is a pain in the ass....gl with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

First point: If it was the once reason ( I doubt about that, of course ),well, you should try to share your ideas in another way.

Second point: It was not QT but QJ, so may be, before berate me because I don't write well, learn to read before.

Third point: I had yet few times AK called preflop by QJo, and if my sample is a wrong one, I was hoping a clever answer like " I never get called by QJo preflop, and I played 2000+ games, I can't believe you on the QJ hand "

Ryendal
08-13-2005, 12:00 AM
OK, I WAS TOTALLY OUT ...

It's amazing how I can be in a wrong way sometimes ...

Well I present my excuses to what happen after this misunderstanding from my part.

If something appears to be obvious that I'm wrong, do not hesitate to tell me. Coz I am easily willing to push all-in when I shouldn't sometimes.

Newt_Buggs
08-13-2005, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I speak good enlgish too /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jon462
08-13-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to chill out and stop being defensive. Obviously people have said things to you in the past about your English and in the past and it has you defensive, but Octaveshift was in no way "berating" or even criticizing the other poster.. he simply asked if he was Japanese. You were the only one being an ass there.