PDA

View Full Version : Nut-flush busted on river (the saga continues)

RockLobster
03-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Here's losing hand 2 of 2 that I'd like to post...

Online 1-2

I'm dealt A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif in EMP. UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, I raise, LMP, LP, BB, and UTG+1 all call. 5 to the flop:

[5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif]

BB bets, UTG+1 calls, I raise, LMP folds, LP calls, BB 3-bets, UTG+1 folds, I call, LP calls. 3 to the turn:

[5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif] K /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Beautiful. BB bets, I raise, everyone calls. 3 to the river:

[5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/club.gif] 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Crap. I immediately knew I lost to a boat. BB makes it official by betting, both call. BB turns over TT, dragging $38.50.

Thoughts on all streets are appreciated.

sucka
03-25-2003, 07:47 PM
well played.

So, the guy had 10 outs and he hit one of em' against ya.

[censored] happens.

Tyler Durden
03-25-2003, 07:54 PM
I virtually never raise pre-flop with this hand, unless the table is extremely tight, and even then I wouldn't like a PFR very much.

Homer
03-25-2003, 07:54 PM
From reading this and your other post, it sounds like you just had a bad night due to losing a couple monster pots on the river. Don't become discouraged. If both those pots go your way you aren't posting about a 40 BB loss (is that how much it was?), but rather a 10 BB win.

-- Homer

lil'
03-25-2003, 07:57 PM
I wonder how people feel about raising A-9s early in a loose game with one limper in already. I wouldn't do it, for the same reason I have stopped raising K-Qo early; I am out of position and better hands will call or raise.

What can ya do, the better hand won /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Bob T.
03-25-2003, 09:05 PM
What are you going to do, your play was OK. I would probably have limped preflop, and then capped it on the flop, but then I would lose the same amount that you did.

As I said about your other post, Poker happens. Better luck.

AceHigh
03-25-2003, 09:07 PM
I don't like it, in this position.

It's a good play on the button.

bernie
03-25-2003, 09:56 PM
on both hands...

why arent you getting more active on these flops? cap 'em. it's a +EV play to do it in both instances. you may lose more should you lose the pot, but you win more, longrunwise.

these draws are great capping hands on the flop. the 1st hand you had what? 15 outs to a winner. wouldnt you cap a set here if you knew you were beat at that moment? there you only have 10 outs to improve to win...

you may be telegraphing your hand a little when you do cap it.

just a thought

b

RockLobster
03-25-2003, 10:10 PM
Don't become discouraged. If both those pots go your way you aren't posting about a 40 BB loss (is that how much it was?), but rather a 10 BB win.

Yes, that's pretty close. And I'm not discouraged. Au contrair (or however that's spelled)... I'm happy to learn where I could be playing things differently, and also to see where I played correctly.

Thanks for the help...

RockLobster
03-25-2003, 10:17 PM
why arent you getting more active on these flops? cap 'em. it's a +EV play to do it in both instances. you may lose more should you lose the pot, but you win more, longrunwise.

My immediate thought afterwards on each hand was that I played as well as could be expected. Then I reviewed the history and decided to post these losing hands. Upon further review (and with lots of help, thank you all), I can see that I should have been more aggressive on the flop (esp. on the other hand that I posted). It wouldn't have won me the pot in either case, but of course I want to make the right long-term plays.

Thanks for the thoughts...

JTG51
03-25-2003, 11:04 PM
I think raising A9s after a limper from EMP is a mistake. I'd limp most of the time. If you were in LP after one limper it would be an easy raise. Hopefully Homer won't say anything about my A6s raise from EP that he saw the other day. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Your post flop play looks perfect.

RockLobster
03-25-2003, 11:12 PM
I think raising A9s after a limper from EMP is a mistake. I'd limp most of the time. If you were in LP after one limper it would be an easy raise.

I don't remember what my thinking was. Short of any outside brilliance, I have to agree that I should have limped here. But hey, being a little too agressive once in a while can't be all bad /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif.

Hopefully Homer won't say anything about my A6s raise from EP that he saw the other day.

Sounds like quite the memorable day. I would love to have been at the table with you guys... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

TobDog
03-26-2003, 01:49 AM
I think from the flop on your play was very good, I would not have necessarily raised myself with that hand preflop, I see people (in B&M) doing it all the time, it seems to me to be a high varience play. I really liked the fact you were able to restrain yourself on the river and know that you were beat, you really can't do anything about a guy with a set calling you all the way to the river, I do it all the time(I would guess you do too), when I flop a set and there is a flush or straight and its capped, I just wait for the board to pair and unleash the pounding, but when your flush holds, he will have paid the maximum to try and outdraw you.