PDA

View Full Version : Is giving this free card bad?

Elecman
08-12-2005, 05:57 PM
haven't posted in a while and found a hand i was curious about

villain is 40/30

Party Poker 10/20 6 max, 5 handed

Preflop: hero has 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif
villain(utg) raises, hero 3 bets, all fold

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
villain checks, hero bets, villain calls

Turn: 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif
villain checks, Hero checks.

River: 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif
villain checks, hero bets, villain calls

I thought a few things as i checked behind on the turn, which is something i'd almost never do here...

Given the way things have been going at this table, i thought he could check raise the turn with a lot of hands i am beating. I didnt feel like paying off if i was indeed behind.

Secondly, if he was going to fold the turn, i might induce a bluff on the river and make more money.

Thirdly, he might get suspicious and call my river bet with A high when he may have otherwise folded the turn.

I really hate to give a free card when he may have a lot of outs but i'd hate to pay off a Q or 9 even more if he check-raises the turn, since i dont feel like i can release my hand.

So i played it a little differently than normal, and planned to bet most (maybe all) rivers if he checked again. Any comments?

MrTeddyKGB
08-12-2005, 06:03 PM
I think I would bet the turn. If you had a read that he was super agg and liked to check raise draws on the turn then I would bet/call. Against most I would bet fold the turn, probablly bet the river if he liked to pay off with Ace high.

pfkaok
08-12-2005, 06:06 PM
It'd be a much better play if you had JJ here, but I still don't think this it's TOO horrible a play if this opponenet is capable of a bluff/semibluff CR bluff, but isn't such a LAG that it'd be an easy calldown.

You really don't want to make this play though if he might fold a hand that you'd want him to though, like a gutshot that also has 2 overs to you. another thing that sucks about this is that there's a lot of bad cards that can come on the river, so you won't often be able to make BIG +EV value bets on the river.