PDA

View Full Version : Raise, lead, now what?

Guthrie
08-12-2005, 05:46 PM
No reads. Sometimes I can push people off in these situations, sometimes they call down and turn over junk, and sometimes they turn over a ragged pair and win.

After raising preflop I like to lead the flop no matter what comes. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

gharp
08-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Check behind. That flop was drawless -- he caught a piece of it and he ain't going anywhere.

bottomset
08-12-2005, 05:54 PM
checkbehind on the river

[ QUOTE ]
After raising preflop I like to lead the flop no matter what comes

[/ QUOTE ]

um thats a good way to become a breakeven player

@bsolute_luck
08-12-2005, 05:58 PM
ask yourself "is a better hand folding?"

is yes, then bet. if no, don't.

shant
08-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Check.

MrWookie47
08-12-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
checkbehind on the river

[ QUOTE ]
After raising preflop I like to lead the flop no matter what comes

[/ QUOTE ]

um thats a good way to become a breakeven player

[/ QUOTE ]

You can lead a lot of flops profitably, but you have to keep track of the texture and who all is in the pot.

And check this river.

IPSC
08-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Is the flop bet in this situation correct though?

1. Decent size pot on the flop.
2. Backdoor straight, backdoor flush, and one overcard.
3. Small number of opponents.
4. Opponents may assume that hero has a paired king and be more likely to fold.

Thanks

Guruman
08-12-2005, 06:48 PM
-blind response-

pfr is good because your hand is strongish and can survive multiway.

I'd be totally lost in this hand if I didn't bet that flop.

Depending on UTG's skill here we can put him on a range of hands with his flop call.

He's most likely got:
a) a small pp (big pps except for AA would autoraise pf)
b) a raggedy K (AK, KQ, and maaaybe KJ would have raised pf)
c) some random combination non K broadways (eg QJ, JTs, etc)
d) a horribly played A5 or A7

we're behind a good range of his hands here, and if he's got any piece of the board he won't go away on the turn.

When the /images/graemlins/diamond.gif falls on the turn and villain checks, I check behind to draw at my 9 flush and 2 Ace outs.

Given your line, (and even if I had taken that line), I would probably still have checked behind on the river, since the probability that villain was playing a missed fl or str8 draw is pretty low. If he's got a piece, he's going to look you up.

p@t@dds
08-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Check on the river. Especially at a table where players will call on the river with anything. No use bluffing away more money if you know you're going to be called. Would be different if you had hit any part of the board, but here I would check.

[ QUOTE ]
After raising preflop I like to lead the flop no matter what comes. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good way to lose money in the long run. Better to use "smart" aggression than "blind" aggression. Always take into account the texture of the flop and who is in the hand with you. Hope this helps. /images/graemlins/cool.gif